Hope Solo leads new Hall of Fame candidates

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FanOfFutbol, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    ok, one.

Wikipedia has it as a group stage match, but it must have been a semi.

[​IMG]

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #52 Cliveworshipper, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020

You could just as easily call Akers an attacking mid or in 99, the defensive mid.

In that capacity she knocks out Ertz or Mewis in your lineup.
    Give her another cup she might have knocked out Brunn.

as to assists in FIFA Tournaments, Hamm has 6 assists, according to FBREF.com .
    The first person I thought of to compare is Rapinoe, who has 7.
    Rapinoe has 12 goals to Hamm’s 13, but more are in Knockout games, and Her career stil appears to be ongoing.

Smallchief repped this.
  3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nice go at an interesting topic. To my mind, Hamm, Wambach, Akers, and Solo have to be on the all time team -- and others can be debated.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  4. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Interesting. Using only World Cup and Olympic stats (e.g. when it really matters), Rapinoe is next to Michelle Akers in goals plus assists per 90 minutes of playing time.

Akers: 1.25
    Rapinoe 1.12
    Morgan .91 (but I would discount Morgan a bit because of that 5 goal game against Thailand)
    Wambach .73
    Hamm .65
    Press .65 (limited appearances)
    Lloyd .59
    Milbrett .50

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #55 Cliveworshipper, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    I think you need to watch that stat. It is goals + assists - PK Goals, which is a measure of efficiency in the run of play. Hamm hardly ever took PK’s. The number for other players might be higher for all goals.

If you count Efficiency per minute, the acting president of the Federation has an efficiency of .87 goals per 90 minutes.
    Shannon Macmillan’s efficiency was 1.25 goals per 90 minutes, matching Akers. She earned the supersub moniker.

both of these players only saw around 1,000 minutes in FIFA tournaments, or close to a 1/3 the minutes Mia and Abby got. Not sure what this says about the coaching.

6. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pardon me for not apologizing profusely for my too-quick response. I did recognize Endler once I Googled the name and I have seen her play a handful of times, the last being the recent friendly w/ the US. She is a good goalie.
    And your qualifications would be . . . ?

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Yes, it would be more realistic to put Wambach up top and replace Mewis with Akers.

A lot more realistic.

8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Yep, I should have had Abby up top, and moved Akers to Mewis' spot. That was a clear error in my lineup.

9. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marta and Sinclair are still playing. They will become eligible for the Hall a few years after they retired, but not while they're still playing. Sun Wen never played in the USWNT (obviously) and she only played two seasons of first-division soccer in the United States. You have to have at least five seasons (plus a Best XI selection) to become eligible by the first-division seasons route.

Which two or three Germans are you talking about?

10. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can meet the eligibility criteria with 20 or more USWNT or USMNT caps. Higgins meets that with room to spare.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I was thinking of Marin Meinert, who was an mvp in the WUSA, AND Steffi Jones, who is an American citizen by virtue of her father. she wouldn’t be held to any restrictions on foreigners.

other us citizens playing overseas and even for other Nat teams would seem to qualify. (Bardsley, for instance.)

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no restriction on foreigners, per se. As Roger Allaway explained, these are the requirements:
    1. retired at least 3 years ago, no more than 10 years (move to the veteran list if its more than 10 years ago)
    AND
    2a. Played at least 20 games for the NT
    OR
    2b. Played at least 5 seasons for an American top-level professional league and won either a league championship or was a league all-star at least once.

Neither Meinert or Jones would qualify. (Its an inherent issue with having women's leagues that failed after only 3 years.)

jnielsen repped this.
  13. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meinert only played three seasons in first-division United States soccer. She probably would have played more if the WUSA had lasted, but it didn't, and Hall of Fame eligibility is based on what a person did do, not what they might have done if circumstances had been different.

It doesn't matter whether Jones or Bardsley were American citizens or not. You have to have played five seasons in a U.S. first-division league (and been a Best XI selection) or played 20 full internationals for the U.S. national team. Having the right citizenship to play those 20 full internationals isn't enough. You have to play the games. They didn't.

BostonRed and Cliveworshipper repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an update, Hope Solo was just snubbed and not voted into the Hall of Fame during her first year of eligibility. It honestly is ridiculous that the USWNT leader in pretty much every goalkeeper stat category was not voted in easily. I'd also like to point out that Kate Markgraf also didn't get enough votes, and will need to move from the Player category to the Veteran category. :mad:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ocanegra-hope-solo-national-soccer-hall-fame/

McSkillz, jackdoggy, jnielsen and 2 others repped this.
  15. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Solo should have gotten in, but I wouldn't say that she has been snubbed. Bocanegra didn't get in until his third try. Brianna Scurry didn't get until her fourth try. Give it some time. Solo will get in.

Doogh, jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Can't say that about Steve Ralston, and not sure you can say that about Jaime Moreno. At the Veterans Ballot addressed the Player Ballot oversight of Cindy Parlow Cone.

17. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am amazed at the people who don't get voted in! The article said that most HoF voters only vote for 1 person, although they are allowed to vote for 10. That makes no sense at all. Seems like the whole process needs to be overhauled, including who gets to vote, as it seems many of them don't "bother" to exercise their privilege.

18. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The statement that the average Hall of Fame voter only votes for one person is not true. This year, the average Hall of Fame voter voted for 8.09 people.

However, I too am unhappy about various people not getting in. Over the years, most of the right people have gotten in eventually, but it can be an agonizingly slow process. For example, Earnie Stewart and Brianna Scurry, both all-time greats of the U.S. national teams, each got in on their fourth try. Joy Fawcett, one of the icons of American soccer, got in on her third. Bruce Murray, one of the greatest America players of the 1990s, got in on his 12th.

I do currently have my hopes up much more than I have in recent years that an overhaul of the election process, including the makeup of the voting panel, is on the horizon. Stay tuned.

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  19. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Opinion has not changed in 202 days - - - - - - -

I'm P.O.'d and I don't like posting when I'm P.O.'d.
    Just a few credentials missing from the resumes of the male nominees for the National Soccer Hall of Fame ...................
    • World Cup frickn Champion
    • Two-time Olympic Champion
    • 200 CAPS
    • Possibly the baddest MOFO to ever take the pitch
    PUBLISH THE BALLOTS !!!!

McSkillz and TimB4Last repped this.
  20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Y'know though, I'm thinkin' that no one who votes is looking forward to hearing speeches and interviews from Hope... and I can't blame them...

I'm gonna keep trying this one from time to time-- What's a bar of Ivory that looks as though it is there, but isn't really?

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It's shameful, a travesty, but sadly that's par for the course.

dams repped this.
  22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boo hoo.

Strictly for on-the-field quality, Hope Solo is a no-brainer. Strictly for personality and off-field conduct, Dope Solo should be spurned.

I have no problem with letting this little snot wait around another year or two before inducting her. Sure, she belongs in, unless we're going to start applying personality tests to every professional athlete in every sport, ever. But I'm not going to lose sleep because she didn't become a first-ballot HOFer.

23. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    She got the last laugh as they look like the complete fools that they are.

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Don't agree, but even I did agree, leaving Solo out would only send a message if other 'no-brainers' were let in. It's pretty clear the system isn't working properly, so the impact of any 'message' sent is undermined. The actual message as I understand it is "We're incompetent."

blissett repped this.
  25. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC