Hope Solo leads new Hall of Fame candidates

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FanOfFutbol, Feb 19, 2020.

1. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I should have said "One of the requirements . . ." That's how foreigners can qualify for a US HOF.

2. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I should have said, "One of the requirements . . . " This requirement explains how foreign players get in the US HOF.

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    A baseball hall of fame without Babe Ruth would be a travesty.

Babe Ruth was, shall we say, at best a very mixed bag as role models go...

Or Lawrence Taylor in football. Maurice Richard in hockey. Jerry Lee Lewis in rock and roll. Hank Williams in country music.

One really shouldn't go trying to make unrelated things a necessary part of the selection process. Its already hard enough trying to sort high peaks and long careers without adding purity tests on other planes entirely.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christine Endler not that impressed with Hope's accomplishments:

1232186325744308225 is not a valid tweet id

;)

5. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Repped for this quote.

6. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I would say Hope's on-field credentials are about as bone fide as Abby's. I know Abby was ATG goal scorer until recently. But, Hope carried out team for long stretches.

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I would argue that's how easy Hope made it look. She carried us many times.

8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    #33 RalleeMonkey, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    If it were Donovan or Dempsey that had spousal abuse issues, would you call that "poor choices"?

I would argue that anyone who teaches their kids that *anyone* is a role mode for how to live life, is asking for trouble. *Everyone* is flawed. You never know how those flaws will manifest. I don't tell my kids that athletes are anything but athletes.

Use an athlete (or anyone else) as an example of work ethic? yes
    Use an athlete (or anyone else) as an example of how to comport oneself in specific situations? yes

But, to say "be like this person"? Nope. Be the best self you can be. I certainly point out my own flaws to my kids and say "do better."

So, I take issue with expecting that HOF'ers will be role models.

WRT Hope, would Donovan or Dempsey be in the HOF if they'd had the car issue that Hope did? If they had spousal abuse issues, it would certainly be a lonnnnnng time before they got in the HOF, if ever.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    [
    I know she's not the caliber of player of Wen, Marta, Sinclair - but if you're going to add foreign female players to the US soccer HOF, because of impact, I would submit Sisi. Or, Formiga.

Cliveworshipper and jnielsen repped this.
  10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    #35 RalleeMonkey, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    I would put Heath a notch below the others that have been mentioned. I'm a huge Heath fan, but she hasn't done much other than be a starter on great teams. By way of comparison, it took Milbrett, who, imo was a way better player and did way more, a hellllll of a long time to get into the HOF.

Call me crazy, but I'd say Kling did more in WC15 than Heath has done in WC's. I would have Dunn hot on Tobin's heals, and soon to pass her.

Ertz for sure, is right up at the top of my list.

11. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Had to google Endler, never heard of her.
    And, yes, there were many games in which Hope was not challenged, but she came up huge in WCs when the opposition was pelting the goal. Her jumping ability makes Naeher seem rooted to the ground by comparison.

TimB4Last repped this.
  12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Yes, Ertz is many times the player that Boxx was. They are probably equal defensively. And, Ertz is way better in every other means of evaluation.

Another player that I think is wayyyyyyyy over-rated is Foudy. She benefitted hugely from being the social chairman. I will say, that I watched the 91? final against Norway recently, and Foudy was great in that game - she was very quick and fast. But, she slowed down. And, was a good, not great, DMid. Then, the worst, she transitioned to AMid and played there for a lonnnnng time. Ugh! Who would you want to play Amid for your team, Foudy or Rose?

That CM pairing of Foudy and Boxx was as bad as it's ever been for the U.S.

If a Foudy/Boxx mf was the alternative, I'd start any of Rose, Ertz, or Mewis over one of them, every time. And, to add, I'd start Mewis over either Foudy or Boxx.

13. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ok, THAT Christine Endler.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

"It is a poor teacher whose student doesn't surpass him."​

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Okay, you're crazy. Heath has been a tireless worker not a star. Doesn't mean she should get snubbed. I also put Heath above Boxx or Whitehill but not at the Milbrett or Ertz level. In NFL speak, Heath deserves the Mike Webster treatment instead of the Jesse Sapolu snub.

16. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I like Solo. She may have issues but goalkeepers are very different animals. Her record speaks for itself and were she to be inducted I’d be fine with it.

As an aside her commentary work with the BBC on the WC last year was wonderful.

17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I agree. She always sounded a little nervous. But, her commentary was super interesting and insightful. And, it was cool to hear how much respect and deference her colleagues at the BBC gave her.

18. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I like Heath. I'm a fan. But, Milly waited for.ever. to get in. If I'm picking a winger for my team, I pick Milbrett over Tobin every time.

19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Not disagreeing but because Milbrett was wronged doesn't mean Heath should be wronged.

20. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Fair enough. But, I feel that while Tobin's skill set is pretty spectacular, the way she's been deployed reduces her contribution to sort of yeoman's work.

For fun, my all-time best 11, if I was picking players at their peak, would be

---------------------------------Akers
    -------Rapinoe--------------Hamm-----------------Milbrett
    -------------------------------------------Mewis*
    -------------------Ertz
    Kling-----------------Brunn---------Fawcett-------------Dunn**
    -------------------------------Solo

*Ya, I'm saying it - Mewis is a better 8 than Foudy would have been/was.

**I know, O'Hara is the current RB and Dunn is LB. But, I think Kling was incredible in 2015, and I think Dunn is currently a better FB than the awesome O'Hara, and she's right footed - not like she has to play on the left.

21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think that would be a good lineup.
    Also I have said many times on these boards a truly good outside back can almost always switch sides fairly easily. In fact with Dunn I think it would be good to place her on the side the other team is the most dangerous on.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  22. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - doesn't know a top international gk
    - weighs in on the standard for a top international gk
    :rolleyes:

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

A good start, but I’d like to hear you rationale for including Hamm as a forward instead of Mary Abigail Wambach.
    Hamm never scored a goal in a knockout match, either in World cups or Olympics. She scored 1 in a consolation match. That’s pretty paltry for somebody expected to score.

Abbie scored 11 goals in knockout matches or consolation matches, several of which were game winners or or gained a shootout.

I shudder to think what our record would be without those goals. Plus there are 184 others you need to figure out what the USA record might have been without.

24. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    With my lineup, it's not a Hamm vs. MAW choice.

Hamm is a 10. She leads the all time USWNT for assists by a wide margin.

You're argument with my lineup is MAW vs. Akers. Make it:

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    2000 Olympics, semi, Brazil, 60th minute