'Hoosiers' Team Making World Cup Movie

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by guri, Aug 23, 2003.

1. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    This should be good!!

'Hoosiers' Team Making World Cup Movie

Associated Press

The pair who made the inspirational sports films "Hoosiers" and "Rudy" are at it again.
    Director David Anspaugh and writer-producer Angelo Pizzo are making "The Game of Their Lives," about the 1950 U.S. World Cup team, which upset England 1-0.

That tournament in Brazil was the last World Cup appearance for the Americans until 1990, and still is considered by many to be the greatest in the history of U.S. soccer.

The movie, slated for release next year, focuses on five players in the starting lineup from St. Louis, among them Harry Keough and Frank Borghi.

Actor Zachery Ty Bryan - who plays Keough in the film - said the movie has given him a greater appreciation for what athletes had to do in 1950 to reach World Cup play.

"The game wasn't (at the time) part of our culture like it was in other countries," Bryan said.

The original players and their families hope the movie will help others realize just what it was like for the U.S. World Cup players.

"These guys came home to no fanfare 50 years ago," said Borghi's daughter, Bette. "And who would have thought this would happen 50 years later? It's kind of like divine justice."

2. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    That would be a nice sports movie. I'd definitely watch that.

But if there was a movie to be made about a team back in those days, the story behind those commies up in North Korea during the 66 WC in England would be so much more compelling because the stories behind the players from a closed commie land would have been more interesting. N. Korea beat Italy and drew with Chile to go to the quarterfinals where they were beaten 5-3 by Eusebio(Portugal). N. Korea were up by 3 goals until that monster Eusebio killed those Northerners. Afterwards, the N Korean players disappeared into obscurity. I would very much like to see a movie based on those commies.

I also understand there's a BBC documentary "The Game of Their Lives" about the North Korean team and goes on to suggest how their fast paced and aggressive style during that World Cup in England had contributed and influenced today's playing style for England's club and country.

3. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I recall reading a story in SI about a Korean marathoner during Japanese (IIRC) invasion who won the Olympic marathon in borrowed shoes because he couldn't afford his own. He stood on the platform as the Japanese national anthem played, and quietly hummed the Korean anthem to himself.

4. Thriller

Thriller New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Following one step b
    Yes, historic for Brasil too: that was EL MARACANAZO :D Uruguay defeated Brazil in the final at Maracaná where everybody were expecting to Pele and Brasil win that WC easily with no doubt.

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wow I knew Pele, was great and all but I didn't know that he was so great that as a 10 year old he was expected to lead Brazil to the title.

6. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003

Should be the best sports of movie of all time since Victory, Hoosier and Field of dreams. Can't wait for its release!

7. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    the americans should do a movie about beating portugal...

8. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, that wasn't that big of an upset...

9. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    yah? name one team besides england that u beat in a world cup that was a bigger upset then beating portugal????

and be ************en realistic.

10. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    There's a difference between a comparative statement and a judgment statement. Sure, Portugal was probably our second biggest upset, but that doesn't mean it was that big of an upset.

11. MikeyPez

MikeyPez New Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Jersey City NJ
    LOL!

Should be a good movie, Rudy was awesome....

12. Thriller

Thriller New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Following one step b
    Oh, so you at least know that detail over what I know and said. For sure you didn´t said first about El Maracanazo and so.
    Maricos tarados always mock of genious and fuking jealous always mock of great when they made a little mistakes, that´s the way life is[​IMG]

13. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    A few pro and semipro players are in the movie, too. John Harkes is an extra.

Zachary Ty Bryan -- wasn't he on Home Improvement or something?

I just hope they make the movie true-to-life instead of doing silly things like:

1. Inaccurate uniforms with names on the backs
    2. Slowing the film down during important action sequences
    3. Putting more than 10,000 people in the Belo Horizonte stands
    4. Giving the fans air horns

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Or Sly Stallone as the keeper....

15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So your a genius cause you thought a 10 year old Pele played in the 50 World Cup?

16. MikeyPez

MikeyPez New Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Jersey City NJ
    ya gotta slow it down a bit....

17. i002492

i002492 New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    I know there hasn't been much action on this thread, but if you're interested, I have a page dedicated to the movie. My uncle, Frank "Pee Wee" Wallace played in the game.
    Jeff
    www.baudofamily.com/game.htm

18. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Ok. Colombia was a dark horse to win the WC in 1994. US didn't even have a league, and had a bunch of guys who had a mixture college experience and lower level Euro league experience (mostly). By contrast, in 2002 US was 12th, while Portugal was 4th or 5th in FIFA rankings in 2002. Upset, but not nearly as big.

Have a nice day :D

19. i002492

i002492 New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Someone died as a result of the Columbia game. That's pretty upsetting.
    Jeff