Hooper and USA players at the WWC

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by magiclamp, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Can't judge soccer players by stats. The game is too complex.

Care to address Serlenga, the Franchino/Hooper analogy and the fact that a lot of the Founders you mention were simply old and/or injured?

(Quick newbie tip, also: When replying, use the "quote" button so that it's easier to see who said what in the thread.)

2. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    No not all founders had the same paycheck. I cant find the article.. but a the begining of the league there was a "Founders" pay scale. Mia Julie and Brandi made more than Whalen, Saskia and Ducar.

Yes these players on the lower end of the Founder spectrum made more than the average player. But I do remember that internationals like Sun Wen made about 50g or more per year.

3. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Nope. Serlenga, Mullinix and Clemens and French are not founders. The original plan was to put three founders on every team. But if you do the math that doesn't work out. So the 4 players i listed were allocated players. They never recived a founders salary and thier name isn't on the trophy.

I understand your point. I get it. But my original point re: Hoopers lack of respect was this: I doubt it very much that if not for the off field efforts of about mostly 5 or 6 players Hooper would not have that paycheck she had for 3 years, or the training. Therefore to me her coments last week and others she has made in the past show a tremendous lack of respect and lack of class.

The second point I was trying to make is that of the 20 players on the US roster more than "2 or 3" have "done something". And therefore are deserving of the attention they get. Mia, Brandi, Lilly, Scurry Jules(i know you don't agree) Joy (when not pregnant)... the younger players that are more popular than Hooper... Abby, Siri...
    Therefore IMO Hoopers words were nothing more than bitter resentment.

4. Binchy

Binchy Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Choctaw territory
    Bitter, are ya?

The 35 yr-old Hooper could take lessons in class from her 20 yr-old teammate, Sinclair.

5. Bob Abouy

Bob Abouy New Member

Jul 29, 2003

6. Bob Abouy

Bob Abouy New Member

Jul 29, 2003

7. Bob Abouy

Bob Abouy New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Re: Re: Lets be real people

I am not to familiar with Joe Franchino. But I do have to say that unless he us arguably one of the top ten players in the world then we can't talk. Otherwise ,the only thing Hooper and him have have in common is that they kick soccer balls for a living.

I agree that she was more than a handfull for refs. Male or female they had a hard time with the way she walked the razors edge of between physicality and going "postal" Actually it doesn't say much for the refs. I said it before, she plays with a huuuge chip on her shoulder and I would have it no other way. Keep up the posts folks. Go CUBS & GO SOCKS!

8. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    funny guy. :p

9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Re: Re: Re: Lets be real people

Your point was that people wouldn't call her "dirty" is she were a guy. Not so. People on these boards complain about dirty players all the time, no matter what their status in MLS. Carlos Ruiz is a great goal scorer, but if he takes a dive, people shred him.

Parlow isn't just a goal scorer. She's been playing behind the forwards a bit in WUSA. And you can even have forwards who aren't judged solely by their numbers -- Brian McBride is the cornerstone in Columbus whether he's scoring goals or not.

Looks like you've got the hang of the "quote" function.