Hong-Kong

Discussion in 'China' started by BOAY, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I had mixed feeling on 519. Several very good players on the Chinese team.... Guo Guangming later went to play in Germany. He might be the first Chinese player in Germany. "Townshed" Qin won a A-League title with San Francisco Black Hawks. He was one of their better players. The team inlcuded Eric Wynalda.

2. hkdollarboy

hkdollarboy New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    South China can win the league title if they beat Red Bull.

3. yrboarder

yrboarder New Member

Jan 10, 2007
  4. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

Gu Guangming is a legend. Would be nice if he can coach the NT. I think he even came to the US and played indoor soccer for a few years.

Do you have any video clip of him playing? I couldn't find any on Youtube.

5. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    I was < 10 yr old at that time. I remember watching TV and TVB keep advertising the game with the phrase "must win, must not draw". That phrase still sticks in my mind even till these days.

IIRC, HK then got knock out by Japan after that, is that correct?

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    People forgot about him. His teammate was known as "China's Pele", but I do not know how to write his name in English.

7. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    The HK league was the first to turn professional in Asia (in the late 60s?).

8. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    That's sad. I recall all the big foreign teams that I got to watch in HK when I was a young man/boy. The best was between Santos (with Pele) and Newcastle (with Malcolm McDonald) in a torrential rain. Both Pele and McDonald were at the peak of their game. In that game, Pele scored the best goal that I have seen by any player (or so it seems in my memory). He received a ball in the penalty area, juggled the ball with his head, chest, knee and foot, while beating 2 or 3 Newcastle defenders. In this scoring sequence, the ball never touched the ground.

9. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Rangers was the first Hong Kong team to import players (in any significant number). Most of their earlier players came from Scotland. As a South China fan, I still have fond memories of South China battling Rangers, which had a player nicknamed "Jesus" (for his slight stature and long hair, sort of a faster version of Heydude) and one nicknamed "Big Water Buffalo" (for his size). After Rangers started importing players, other teams also began doing so, mostly from Australia and S. Korea (IIRC). Eventually, it led to the more famous imports that EG described.

Another interesting thing watching soccer in HK in the late 60s and early 70s was that HK players made up two "national" teams at that time, one representing HK and one representing Taiwan. I left HK in the mid 70s and thus don't know when did this practice stop.

10. athena20

athena20 Red Card

Apr 18, 2006
    yes HK used to be very strong and has probably the longest history in terms of club football in asia. but now we suck so bad.

11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  12. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Rangers actually was named about Glasglow Rangers. Their logo looked the same. It was started by a Scot. "Jesus" = Derek Currie. He remained in HK after retiring from football. He went onward to become a successful businessman. He is still very active in sport. I sometimes see him in the HK stadium.

13. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Do you remember the name of the Scottish owner of Rangers?

I remember Currie's name as translated in Chinese, but wasn't sure about it in English. IIRC, "Big Water Buffalo"'s English name is ?? Walter. Is he still around HK? It was quite funny seeing Currie and Walter together since they were so different in size and look.

IIRC, a good friend of mine's younger brother actually played for Rangers (as a winger?) in the mid to late 70s. I haven't seen him play (since I already left HK by then), but he is supposed to be quite fast. His last name is Yuen. Do you know of him?

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

The owner of Rangers were before my time. I learned about it in the 1980's. "Big Water Buffalo" moved back home. Derek Currie played until the 1980's when I started following soccer. He was a PR for Carlsberg.... he was always around during the Carlsberg Cup. He was tipster for horse racing in South China Morning Post too, but I do not follow horse raing anymore so I don't know about now.

I have no idea about Yuan.

15. scaa

scaa New Member

May 3, 2007
  16. scaa

scaa New Member

May 3, 2007
    The owner of Rangers was Mr. Ian Petrie, who passed away in 2004.

17. yrboarder

yrboarder New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    South China boss sets his sights on winning the AFC Cup next season. Hope this will come true and HK teams will be able to play the AFC Champion League in the future! That'll be great....:)

18. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    It will be tough for South China even in AFC Cup becos of the 3 foreign rule.

They wll have to make unwanted changes to the side when playing in Asia

19. yrboarder

yrboarder New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I just check the regulations... u r absolutely right! That would be difficult!

But then again, this doesn't make the competition attractive although i know where they r coming from.

Surely, the same doesn't apply to AFC Champions League, right?

20. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    It s the same but changes may be make for the 2009 version for bth AFC Cup & AFC CL

AFC is considering whether to allow up to 5 foreign but 2 must be Asian orgin to promote more Asian player to move

21. ChinaDan

ChinaDan Member

May 29, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Don't really know much about the HK football league, but was just wondering after reading some of the posts.

Seeing as crowd attendences at games seems to be very low because of the european leagues, would it not be a sensible solution to switch the league so that it starts in Febuary or March and runs through out the summer??? Surely when most of the european teams finish for the season the the attendances at local league games will improve??? I know it'd be asking a lot of the player to play during that period due to thr weather, but it seems to work of the league of ireland attendances. Although I will say the league of ireland is more to do with the weather and not european games shown on tv. lol

Another thing I was wondering is how do chinese teams in Hong kong and China develop young players??? Is there like a junior league were younger players are scouted by the bigger teams??? Or is it a case of only the rich sending there kids???

You forgot to mention Jim Haggin when mentioning old players that had a spell in HK... Former Northern Irish International that had spells with Coventry City and Celta Vigo...lol

22. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    South CHina as Treble Champions (League, FA Cup & League Cup) along with Happy Valley as FA Cup runner-up have qualified for 2008 AFC Cup

23. yrboarder

yrboarder New Member

Jan 10, 2007

King of difficult for HK and many SE Asian countries due to the extreme hot and humid weather. Not just for the players, but also for the fans as well. It's really no fun sitting under the sun for a good 2 hours except in beaches....

Even evenings will be difficult. It the humidity that kills...

24. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    What are the FA Cup and League Cup? Are they what used to be called the Gold Shield and Silver Shield (both knockout competitions)?

25. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    SEA will have to divided up as well as S'pore, Indonesia, Malaysia & Brunei played our season from March - November as December - February can be unplayable with all the rain

FA Cup and League Cup r knockout competitions