Hong-Kong

Discussion in 'China' started by BOAY, Jan 28, 2007.

1. lee2e19

lee2e19 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Canada & Hong Kong
    Garbo is my favorite coach ever!!!! He used to coach me for about 3 years but due to some politics crap our team manager decided not to renew the contract with Garbo, that made me really upset and since then i never play for them anymore....

Garbo's passion for playing/coaching soccer its just increditable.....really we are more like good friends rather than just coach and player...

P.S. I have a pic of Garbo and my dad before our game i will post it later if i have the time to find it.

2. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    hey lee welcome aboard, fellow HKer.

So Garbo was your coach eh? What team were you in? I guess you must be a pretty good player yourself then eh?

It'd be great if you can post that Garbo pic.

3. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    How old is Garbo now? Should be pretty much the same age as Lee Kin Wo eh?

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

No idea, but Lee is 39. . I used to run around the race track in Happy Valley and Garbo sometimes hanged around coaching youth soccer. Once upon a time, I saw Andreas Möller playing there. He was in HK for some Football Club event. I saw his photo on the paper..... I remembered telling myslef that this guy just retired a few months ago. Next, I saw him playing 7-a-side with some fat, old businessmen. It was surreal.

5. athena20

athena20 Red Card

Apr 18, 2006
    黃金寶世界場地賽摘金
    http://hk.news.yahoo.com/070331/12/24ro4.html

單車手黃金寶 在西班牙世界場地單車錦標賽,奪得十五公里捕捉賽的冠軍,是本港選手首度揚威世界賽。

34歲的黃金寶指出,原先僅參與記分賽,教練卻突然安排他競逐捕捉賽,在沒有壓力下發揮超水準,壓倒

銀牌得主荷蘭及銅牌得主波蘭 ,感到十分雀躍,盼望2008年北京 奧運更上一層樓。

6. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wasn't the great actor Eric Tsang once a good soccer player ?

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

He played for Hong Kong Youth national team, but he gave up becuase you cannot make money in professional soccer.

8. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He made the right choice :D

9. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Didn't he play for a division 1 team?

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not so sure.... that was way before my time.

His business partner.... Ah Luk did play for Seiko. You know "Fok, Lok and Sau" ~ Eric Tsang, Alan Tam and Ah Luk. He was playinmg for Seiko reserve team in the 1980's because he was a famous actor and a friend of the chairman. On the last game of the season, they fielded him in a meaningless game. He actually scored the last goal. That season, Seiko withdrew. Ah Luk goes down as the last player who had ever scored for Seiko.

11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Here are some of recollection of the star players from 1980's in HK.

George Best: He played briefly for Caroline Hill. No more than 3 games. He came to Hong Kong unfit. He was sacked. The year was probably 1981 or 1982.

Seiko FC: The ower was the distributer for Seiko watches, hence the name came from the watches. In 1981, they went Dutch. A few of them were big names.

-- Theo De Jong: He was Haan's assisstant for the Chinese NT. He was a defensive midfielder in HK and played in 1974 WC for Holland.

-- Patrick Nanninga: He came with the second group of Dutch players. He scored the equalizing goal against Argentina at WC 1978 for Holland.

-- Gerrie Muhren: His brother was the Man Utd legend, Arnold Muhren. Arnold won the Euro 1988 with Van Basten and Gullit. Gerrie played a few games for Holland.\

-- Arie Haan: He came in the mid-1980's. He was considered the top 10 defensive midfielder ever played the game.

-- René van de Kerkhof: He was one of the better Dutch players throughout the 1970's and early 1980's. he had a big incident at the WC final against Argentina. When he joined Seiko, his twin brother was the captain of the Dutch NT.

-- Jan Peters: Holland actually had another player with the same name. The other "Jan Peters" was considered the best young player in Holland at the time. When this "Jan Peters" moved to Hong Kong, it caused a big confusion.

-- Benny Wendt: He played for Sweden in WC 1978. He left Hong Kong because Sweden recalled him to the NT and the travel distance between HK and Sweden was too far.

-- Gordon McQueen: He was a legend in England when he moved to HK. he came to Hong Kong because he could earn more money in HK tahn being the star defender for Man Utd. He lost all his money during the market crash in 1987.

-- Tony Morley: he won the European Cup with Aston Villa in 1980. he was a skillfull winger, perhaps one of the best in England. Unfortuniately, he was ignored by England, despite being one of the best English winger of his time.

-- David Mitchell: He was not that good when he was in Hong Kong. He went on to star for the Australian NT immediatly after his departure. He also headed to Europe and became one of the first Aussie to earn successes in Europe.

12. athena20

athena20 Red Card

Apr 18, 2006
    I think the current Hk goal keeper is pretty good too. He is the best goal keeper from recent year.

13. Choupana

Choupana New Member

Apr 1, 2007
  14. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    that to bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!! South china is fighting with Kitchee in head of the league and their coach leave? hope they gonna find a good coach soon

15. Soni Cardoso

Soni Cardoso Red Card

Mar 23, 2007
  16. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    no i mean South china need to find a new coach that too bad

17. Football Mad

Football Mad New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Melbourne,AUS
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Anyone know how much is the tickets for a HK League match
    Also where can you get the tickets

18. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    the ticket is around 60 HK$ that make maybe 7 or 8 US$

19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You can buy them at the door on match day, except big, foreign teams coming. Even, that is very rare. Only Real Madrid with David beckham can gibe a full house in HK.

20. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    during the 2005 summer tour, manchester vs hk the stadium was full i think

21. Football Mad

Football Mad New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Melbourne,AUS
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
  22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Not so sure. The previous MAN Utd games were full house, but this one I did not remember. I requested my ticket on the day of the match and I still got it. I ended up not going. I remembered the day very well. I went on a date instead(I am a married man) :)

23. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the hong kong FA page ( www.hkfa.com ) has all the fixtures and ticket prices. It seems that they often play three games on the same day at the same stadium.

Personally I'm looking forward to popping along to see Happy Valley v New Radiant (maldives) in the AFC Cup a month from now, even if it doesn't appear by the crowd figures that anybody else is.

New Radiant's club motto, according to their old website, is to "find talent, train them, and give them the chance to expose themselves locally and internationally." Should make for some interesting photos.

24. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Watch out for #10 Wu Kwong Hung(blue). When I was a kid, I did not realize how good he was. In this short footage: He almost scored a wonderful goal.... look for his first touch and ball-handling skills. Then, he provided a classic assist. Then, he scored with a wonderful volley.

Other players on the footage.
    #9(blue) = Gerrie Mühren(Arnold's older brother)
    #17(Blue)= A Dutch striker named Cees Storm.
    #11(Blue) = J. Verheijen

[youtube]gCnWisGYYQQ[/youtube]

Another amazing goal by Wu Kwok Hung from the 1st minute. The first touch... the control was first-class. One of the defender on the white team was the captain of South Korean NT at that time. Two players wearing white shirt had the surname "Kim". One of them became the NT coach of South Korean NT in the late 1980's. So the other team was considered good for Asian standard.

#14(Blue): Theo De Jong, China's former assistant coach.
    #5(blue): Koo Luem Khen, the current HK NT head coach.

[youtube]1BNKlFmxfwk[/youtube]

25. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

Speaking of Wu Kwok Hung and the glory days of HK soccer, 5.19 when HK kicked China out of the WC Finals.
    [youtube]hOvrppzmi4w[/youtube]