Hong Kong Football Thread II (R)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Angsa, Oct 4, 2016.

1. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Shinichi Chan will fly to Spain to train with Real Union, a third tier Spanish club in which he is possibly set to join them on a year long loan from Kitchee.

2. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    That's great news for Shinichi.

Any idea how the trials of Ellison Tsang and Chen Ngo Hin turned out?

3. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It looks like there will be 10 clubs competing in the 2022/23 season of the Hong Kong Premier League as both Tai Po and Sham Shui Po confirmed to take part.

Other interesting tidbits:

4. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  5. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    The HKFA has added the CSL trio of Tan Chun Lok, Leung Nok Hang, and Vas Nunez to the EAFF preliminary squad.

This adds some serious depth into the HK midfield / back line. Without Huang Yang, Tan is going to take on a critical role for the squad.

6. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Fernando is set to rejoin Kitchee having departed from the club two seasons ago as stated by Jorn Andersen.

Other news:

It is good to see that finally Tan and Leung make their return and a first call-up for Vas Nunez as well. This will certainly bolster their defensive options.

7. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hope I'm wrong, but I think the opposite will happen because the existing teams are cutting budget (RCFC & Eastern), already have low budget (HKFC, Southern & Rangers) and the teams coming up (Tai Po & SSP) will not spend much. Therefore, we will see more young players with little or no HKPL experience next season because they don't need to worry about saving money to buy a house or to get married yet.

8. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Jared Lum, who had constantly expressed a desire to represent HK in football, will be leaving HK, likely due to family reasons.

9. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Nice signings, Kitchee. Should be a interesting season, hopefully with no games being postponed

10. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Gerbig and Costa are interesting prospects for the HKNT.

Gerbig is a physically imposing defender at 6'2 with NCAA D1 experience; Costa is a 6'1 goalie with overseas experience.

Both kids are 23 years old - huge potential to grow them, as they both have HK passports it seems.

11. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Having watched the highlights, I think Gerbig would be a very good signing for Kitchee considering how consistent he is in terms of his passing and defending ability.

As for Costa, I think it makes sense that Kitchee are looking for a new goalkeeper considering that Guo Jianquo is now retired and that both Paulo and Wang are heading towards their peak. I believe that someone like Costa could fill in their shoes.

Either ways, I do hope Kitchee can offer them a contract depending if they have a successful trial.

12. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
  13. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]
    Here is Shinichi Chan (bottom left) with the Real Union squad who are in pre-season training.

14. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    HKFA and Kitchee had confirmed that Law Tsz Chun has joined the preliminary squad in preparation for the upcoming E-1 EAFF East Asia Cup in which Andersen should be naming his final squad tomorrow.

Any predictions which players will make the cut?

15. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Wow - this is about as full strength as I've seen the squad in a long, long time, only missing Yapp Hung Fai, Huang Yang, and Li Ngai Hoi.

Tan Chun Lok covers for Huang's absence - but the GK position is concerning. I hope Yuen gets the start.

16. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Here is the final 26-man squad named for the E-1 EAFF East Asia Cup finals:

[​IMG]
    • All three of the CSL based players had been named.
    • First senior call-ups for Chan Ka Ho, Ng Wai Him, Sohgo Ichikawa, Tsang Yi Hang and Yiu Ho Ming.
    • Fernando and Chan Siu Kwan both miss out on a place.

17. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Besides Fernando and Philip, I'm very surprised that "destroyer" Ngan Lok Fung also misses out. He's a midfield engine and key defensive player.

18. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think this is a decent selection by Andersen. Whilst you can say that they are missing a number of key players, I feel that he (Andersen) will use the E-1 EAFF East Asia Cup finals as an opportunity to experiment and test his players at international level especially with some of the young players named and to build their momentum even further from the AFC Asian Cup qualifiers.

19. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Fernando is trying to win a job at Kitchee.

Philip has said in multiple interviews since completing quarantine that he wants to relax for a while. Even though training camp opened on Monday, I don't think he ever participated in training.

He's dealing with a muscle strain. Andersen said earlier in the week that he, along with Diego and Wai-lim would miss likely miss out due to injury.

20. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #2347 dez112, Jul 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    I read from an article a few days ago that only 19 of the 33 (not including the Kitchee players who held their separate training sessions as they prepare for next month's AFC Champions League tie) attended the training camp.

I'm also aware that Sean Tse and Lau Hok Ming are the only unattached players named in the squad and it will be interesting to see where they will go next.

I am actually quite curious to see where Chan Siu Kwan will go next since he has already released by Kitchee.

21. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Besides the GK position, this honestly could be the strongest HK line up we've seen in many years. One thing to note is that we seem to have 8 center backs in the squad, but overall I'm really excited for this team. Andersen is really growing on me as a fan!

Sean stated he wants to play outside of HK and China, e.g. Thailand or Malaysia or even Korea / Japan. Hope he gets to impress during EAFF!

22. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Controversial opinion: He doesn't need to impress. There is already video of him from this year's ACL and ACQ for prospective clubs to review of him.

The main thing he needs to do is to avoid injury, which is why it is brave of him to play even though he is unattached.

23. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Yup totally agree, actually I am very happy and touched that Sean would cut short his time at home in England and fly back to play for HK, despite having no contract.

Same goes for Lau Hok Ming. Touching these players always answer the call, not everyone is the same! E.g. Sandro.