Hong Kong Football Thread II (R)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Angsa, Oct 4, 2016.

1. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Big night for Lee Man FC as they take on Uzbekistan's Nasaf FC for a place in the AFC Cup 2021 final in which I wish the team and Chan Hiu Ming all the best.

[​IMG]

In addition, the U23 squad led by Cheung Kin-Fung are flying off to Japan today as they are set to take on Cambodia and the hosts for the AFC U23 Asian Championship qualifiers.

Lastly, it has been confirmed that the 2023 Asian Cup Third Round qualifers will be played in centralised venues. Hong Kong is currently placed within Pot 3 of the draws so far based upon their FIFA ranking.

3. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    2022 AFC U23 Asian Championship Qualifiers - Group K

Cambodia Vs Hong Kong - 4:2

Hong Kong's campaign during the 2022 AFC U23 Championship qualifiers had gotten off to horror start as they conceded four goals against Cambodia in which poor defending contributed to the surprise loss. They did pull two goals back in the later stages under Jordan Lam, but unfortunately it was too little too late as they now head on to face against the hosts Japan in five days that will prove to be a rather challenging and daunting task for Cheung and his team.

Sometimes I really do question what is the exact direction and vision of Hong Kong football and their association are trying to achieve?

4. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    HKPL

Kitchee 1:0 Eastern Longlions

KW Southern District 3:0 HKFC

Rangers 5:3 Resources Capital FC

5. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Raul Baena's play has greatly improved it seems. He was very active in the HKPL opener and was the engine that kept the team running.

6. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    2022 AFC U23 Asian Championship Qualifiers - Group K

Japan Vs Hong Kong - 4:0

The Hong Kong U23s campaign ended with another disappointing result as Japan scored four goals to end any hopes of the team qualifying for the 2022 AFC U23 Asian Championships.

Here is the highlights:

Overall, I'd say there were some players that impressed in which I predict they will hopefully shape up the future of Hong Kong football.

7. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Who were the most impressive players and why?

8. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #2133 dez112, Nov 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    I think Shinichi Chan and Jordan Lam are the two players that impressed me during the two fixtures in which they have shown great potential. I believe Shinichi took a midfield role in which he was capable of holding and passing the ball around and demonstrated great body strength. On the other hand, Lam had proven to be quite threatening at times.

The ones that I feel did OK but still have potential to do well include Jesse Yu Joy Yin, Lam Hin Ting, Alex Jojo, Oliver Laxton and perhaps Tse Ka Wing.

I do predict that we will possibly see a number of those players represented in next year's Asian Games football tournament which will be a last resort for some of these young players. But we'll have to wait and see who will be picked.

Other than that, I believe that the HKFA should be announcing the new head coach for the men's national team within this month.

9. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    https://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-news/section/4/235858/stadium-faces-downsizing

Stadium faces downsizing

Michael Shum

Seating capacity of Hong Kong Stadium will be greatly reduced to 9,000 from 40,000 after the commencement of the new Kai Tak Sports Park due to noise pollution concerns, the Leisure and Cultural Services Department is advocating in a proposal.

In a document submitted to the Wan Chai district council, the LCSD said the revamped stadium will feature a 400-meter running track, and the redevelopment will commence after the expected commissioning of the sports park in 2023.

The LCSD also cited a consultant report that the change will reduce noise levels.

"The consultant report simulated the noise level generated from a 18,000-seat stadium and a 9,000-seat stadium," the LCSD said, and found that 9,000 seats along with noise-reducing measures means "the noise level could be reduced to a point that fits the requirements set out by the Environmental Protection Department."

It added: "The preliminary evaluation of the noise and traffic levels of the reconstruction plan has also been done, while the Transport Department did not raise any objections towards the proposal.

"The revamped Hong Kong Stadium will be mainly used to host sports activities organized by local organizations and schools, and the peak hours of those activities will not overlap with the rush hour on weekdays," it noted.
    After the reconstruction, a grass pitch that fits international standards for football and rugby games will remain in place, while an additional 400m running track surrounding the pitch will be added.

The LCSD added that residents and organizations can book the stadium for football, rugby and athletics training when the stadium is not hosting competitions and large-scale activities, and the tracks will also be open to all residents without needing bookings.

Other than the pitch and the running track, the stadium will also house a multipurpose meeting room, a media center, toilets, changing rooms, first-aid rooms, a drug test room and nursery rooms.

Its public car park will also offer no less than the current 50 parking spaces.
    On the other hand, the LCSD also said it will consider providing more office space for the 47 sports associations and organizations under the Sports Federation and Olympic Committee of Hong Kong amid a lack of room at the Olympic House.

The building, immediately adjacent to the Hong Kong Stadium, currently holds the offices of all 47 sports associations and organizations.

The LCSD said it will consider adding more office space for them during the feasibility study of the redevelopment of the stadium, and it will consult the sports sector and other stakeholders in a timely manner.

=======================================================
    I am really disappointed with this downsizing. I understand the need to reintroduce a running track to the stadium for public use, but downsizing from 40,000 to 9,000 means HK will still only have one stadium with over 12,000 capacity after Kai Tak opens. How many times in the past have rugby and football clashed over the use of HK stadium? Clearly the decision makers don't care.

Also while we are on this I don't understand why Olympic House is still located at HK Stadium and not a the under-construction Kai Tak Sports Complex. Once again it shows how little the govt cares. They think providing for sports is a charity by them. If their mentality towards sports never change then sports in HK will never change.

10. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    According to an interview with Transfermarkt, it looks like Jorn Andersen who previously coached the North Korea men's team is indeed going to be the new coach of the Hong Kong men's national football team.

Here is a part of the interview translated:

“As a coach, there is nothing worse than sitting at home and not being able to go about your work. When I received the inquiry from the Hong Kong Football Association, I immediately had some ideas that could be implemented, ”says Andersen. "I was particularly impressed by the trusting discussions and, in particular, the opportunity to help shape something sustainable and long-term here."

"When asked about specific goals, Andersen expresses himself cautiously. “The football association wants to take part in a world championship in 2034. This now requires a successful foundation stone and the development of a future-oriented concept with which the association will be successful in the future, ”he says. "But if we have to talk about short-term, sporting goals, then I can only say that it would be a great wish of mine if we could qualify for the Asian Cup (2023 in China; editor's note)."

11. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    What a performance from 19 year old Southern keeper Ng Wai Him! Calm, quick reflexes, safe catches, and a 6 foot frame.

12. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    https://www.offside.hk/league/andy-lo-not-the-right-time-for-south-china-to-return/

South China AA have renovated their own stadium at the cost of HK$170 million with the majority of the funding coming from HK Jockey Club. The rebuilt stadium is now officially known as the SCAA-Jockey Club Stadium But the club has no plans to return to the top flight of the Hong Kong league system. The facilities certainly look very good, though.

13. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I will say that Ng Wai Him is having quite a solid campaign so far and if he can keep up with his string of good performances, I will not be surprised if he is going to potentially make a breakthrough for the future of Hong Kong football.

14. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I am disappointed to hear that they're not interested but I can't say that I'm surprised.

15. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    The downward spiral of Tommy Chuck continues.

According to local media, during a standard procedure progress hearing at the Kwun Tong Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, the probation officer recommended revoking the probation order because there were certain periods when he could not contact Chuck between October and November, while Chuck tested positive for cannabidiols in his urine samples on multiple occasions.

https://www.scmp.com/sport/hong-kon...resentenced-after?module=live&pgtype=homepage

16. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #2141 dez112, Dec 18, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    [​IMG]

As expected, Norwegian-born Jorn Andersen is revealed as the new head coach of the Hong Kong national football team as announced by the HKFA.

Jorn Andersen: “I’m honoured for the opportunity to lead the Hong Kong senior representative team,” Andersen said in a media release. “I hope to use my experience and tactical philosophy in building a strong and competitive team for upcoming international matches.”

HKFA Chief Executive Officer Joaquin Tam said: “We extend a warm welcome to Jorn. With his football background in Europe and practical experience in Asia, we are confident that he would be able to inject new elements, help our players fully achieve their potential, as well as improve our quality and performance.

His current task will be to help the Hong Kong national team in preparation for the AFC 2023 Asian Cup third round qualifiers in June 2022 as well as the EAFF East Asia Cup qualifications which will happen a month later.

17. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    6 more months of no fixtures for the HKNT... unbelievable.

18. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, they could possibly get an international friendly fixture arranged in March.

Anyways, I'd probably expect an overhaul under Andersen's charge in which I do expect perhaps a change of formation and fresh call-ups for the national team in which I could see the likes of Lee Man's Chang Hei Yin, Kitchee's Sohgo Ichikawa and Southern's Ng Wai Him getting called up.

19. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Looking back, I guess we were a bit unfair to Kitchee - they've been giving their academy products plenty of playing time and developing them along quite nicely.

20. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1473942614546477058 is not a valid tweet id

Wellingson de Souza who recently obtained a HK passport, could possibly be hinting his departure.

21. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    And why would he leave right after gettin the passport? Makes no sense. Dont know what he's doing.

22. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Well this is a rather embarrassing moment for the Hong Kong Under 23 side to add to their woeful 2023 AFC U23 Championships qualifiers as ten of the players face disciplinary punishment and barred from representing Hong Kong for a year.

For context, after their 4-0 loss against the hosts Japan, half of the players were in a drunken state in which they vandalised hotel property and two of the players ended up having a massive brawl.

The ten players that were involved include the following in which the disciplinary commitee handed out their punishment:

Violated social distancing and quarantine guidelines (no fine, 1-year ban from representing Hong Kong.)

· Poon Pui Hin – Kitchee
    · Ng Ka Yeung – Eastern
    · Yip Cheuk Man - RCFC
    · Cheng Chun Wang – KC Southern
    · Chiu Wan Chun – RCFC

Violated social distancing and quarantine guidelines and in addition behaviour and ethnic regulations (a $3000 fine and a 1-year ban from representing Hong Kong.)

· Jordan Lam Lok Kan – RCFC
    · Chu Wai Kwan – Eastern
    · Marco Cheung Chun-Hin – HK U23

Violated social distancing and quarantine guidelines and in addition caused serious violation of behaviour and ethnic regulations (a $6000 fine and a 1-year ban from representing Hong Kong.)

· Tse Ka Wing – HK U23
    · Lam Hin Ting – BC Rangers

There is another player who is currently making his appeal against the decision which is rumoured to be someone from Kitchee.

The ban will mean that the following ten players are ruled out for next year's 2022 Asian Games football tournament although I'm not sure if this also include the AFC Asian Cup 2023 qualifiers and the 2022 East Asia Cup qualifiers.

23. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe he got an offer to play elsewhere as an Asian foreigner? Somewhere in SE Asia?

24. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jorn Andersen finally arrives in Hong Kong to be revealed as the new head coach succeeding Mixu Paatelainen.
    [​IMG]
    It also looks like they are set to name a preliminary training squad probably by this month as it seems.

Apparently reports say that Souza has extended his contract with Kitchee until May. I wonder when will Souza will make his long awaited appearance as he had been sidelined for quite a while?

25. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Jorn Andersen visited the TKO Football Training Centre. Oriental Daily reports that HKFA plans to hold a training camp for the HKNT in late Jan/early Feb. But it might disturb Eastern and Kitchee's preparations for the HKFA Cup final on 1 Feb.