Hong Jeong-ho and Ji Dong-won @ FC Augsburg 2014-2015 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by jsk14, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm disappointed because I imagine Weinzierl may be gone by next season and who knows what will happen.

I wonder if he would have suited up in the squad if this deal wasn't going to happen.

2. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    i doubt it considering he turned down Leverkusen. if klopp were to leave, Tuchel would be 1st on their list... & other jobs in Bundesliga aren't appealing.

anyways, FCA have bloated squad (at least in attacking positions). not sure where Ji fits in with them atm unless they let few of their players go (except most are new summer signing).

3. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Mods: Dong-Won should be hyphenated in the title. Could you fix? Thanks.

4. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I forgot. Well, I'll hope he stays and Ji stays healthier and has a bit more opportunity to shine than last loan out

5. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think Ji could have contributed now and in the future if given the opportunities. You don't have to be a superstar to contribute at Dortmund (e.g. Kuba/Grosskreutz). And its been an underwhelming season for just about all the attackers there so the hurdle to contribute would be fairly low.

If Ji left because Klopp saw no future for him, so be it but if he left because of frustration or impatience, thats on him

6. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    bump over old thread

EDIT: And thinking it does seem like Freiburg were interested as their buy now seems timed up with Ji's exit.

7. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    should combine this thread with Hong's

8. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    F*** forgot. I'll do it or should a mod?

9. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    To avoid proliferation, mods can you rename this to

Ji Dong-Won and Hong Jeong-Ho @ FC Augsburg 2015 [R]

10. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I see your point but considering it's such a fast transfer, I don't think Klopp rejected him, it seems a little rushed. But I can't blame a player for wanting to having play time, especially if a deal with a club that really wants you comes up.

I don't think Ji could have contributed now. Just to be clear, it's not because "he's too bad" or anything like that. it's just that Dortmund is in such a delicated position that you want to use the most expert or well blended players.
    You don't have to be a superstar, sure, but even Shinji is getting some bench right now, exactly because Klopp rightly feels that he can't wait for players getting back in top form when relegation is at stake.

Now that he's in Augsburg he has a chance to show himself again. Son proved himself HSV before moving to a bigger club. The same could happen to Ji.
    Either this, or a year on Dortmund's bench and "maybe next year".
    I was a little perplexed with this Dortmund transfer from the get go, didn't feel he had done very much to have a chance to compete at Dortmund.

11. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    But it seems a bit foolish to join a club that's doing well with their guys already and we may see a repeat of last trip to Augsburg where he may be on the bench just because the starting XI are doing so well. So its not like he's guaranteed minutes.

I agree that there's a risk that he'd not get minutes between no time to experiment due to low table position and the high priced players ahead of him, but its also clear that the formula isn't working and that Ji is actually more like the attacker that they need if he could ever get healthy and in form.

At the very least it seems silly to go now vs after a few winter friendlies to impress

12. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  13. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Okay, I didn't know this. But he will have an higher chance at least

not to be that guy but I'm not too sure. They need someone which scores with big numbers, which Immobile, Ramos and Auba have done only partially. I don't think they can go on the market to get such a player though so the plan will likely be to hope that Klopp can improve them (+ reus coming back)

agreed but I bet it wasn't up to him. I mean, maybe he wouldn't have had this opportunity later. Best of luck anyway

14. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It's because he looks like a tuna.

15. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    kinda torn about this too but... fekit! What's done is done and now go to a club where he is welcome and kick ass

16. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  17. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think the goal scoring would come with more efficient playmaking out of their CF. BVB were at their best when far more fluid when Lewandowski and Reus could interchange playmaking and goalscoring roles.

18. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    547105570093010944 is not a valid tweet id

it says it all for me. Ji's decision to leave prompted Dortmund to purchase Kampl. i don't believe Klopp/Dortmund gave up on him.. more of a case of Ji being impatient/frustrated.

19. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    maybe but it would also work in reverse. Ji brought along, BVB asks for Kampls price and find affordable, Augsburg gets asked about taking on Ji for low cost, Augsburg agree, Ji left off squad, Kampl bought easily, etc etc

20. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    not really with rumors of FCA/Reuter trying to bring back Ji early on .. only for him to shut down the rumor with the difficulty in the transfer (along with recent article of Ji wanting to fight for his place).

as for Kampl, clubs knew there was buy-out in his contract.

21. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    His second stay at Sunderland was just a horrible waste of time and hurt his career tremendously. The footballing atmosphere in England is way too cutthroat for our young players... A huge part of why KPAs struggle in Europe is because they don't get quality advice and analysis regarding transfers.

22. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #147 heyheyhe11, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    Is it possible that ji made his decision to leave dortmund when he found out that he wasn't even in the first team this past Saturday against werder Bremen ? We saw Ji making the trip there on Friday. My question is, why even make the trip if you already decided to leave before that?

Is it possible to finalize a complete tranfer in a day or two?

Edit: I feel the uncertainty of getting any first team chance did him in. Ji felt he can't be waiting for first team chance any longer than he has. And wait to the point where he can't even find another team. He felt his stock gets lower and lower, and needed to move quickly.

23. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    Amazing transfer. So much for BVB knowing what they do. They really need the winter break now.

Sure it is, going by all the last minute transfers we get to see elsewhere. This is just kind of a first minute one, lol.

24. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  25. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i really like this club. hope they keep this up for years to come.