Hong is FREE! Going To L.A.

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by HwarangDo, Aug 23, 2002.

1. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Just more evidence that MLS is becoming the crossroads league.

Over time, MLS will be the first choice of Asian, South and Central Americans, African and of course, North American players.

Why? Not the huge transfer fees and big salaries.
    Because if you can suceed here you have access to the bigest media market in the world. The US is endorsement central. Tiger Woods makes a few million a year playing golf, and tens of millions of dollars selling cars and golf balls. With growing populations of Asians, Hispanics, and the second largest minority being Africans, advertisers are keenly interested in finding new faces to connect.

This is all good. It will only make the soccer better, and eventually cement MLSs place as the world's premier league. Now, if we can just get some decent places for these gentlemen to play.

2. Kman79

Kman79 New Member

Jan 9, 2002
    New York
    You're joking right? The premier league in the world? You just lost your credibility there pal. Lay off the drugs.

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Ah yes, because MLS gets so much media coverage in the US and the top players are national heroes who command 10 figure endorsement contracts. And which planet did you just come from?

4. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Gentlemen

He said eventually

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Point taken. But we are still talking about soccer, aren't we? :)

Plus, a big reason some Europeans come to the US is to get away from the media. Europe is still the center of footballing culture, and will be for the forseeable future.

6. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    what i dont understand is that there are some european players playing in the K-League. of all places, the K-League?

7. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    I've been asking that myself. When Suwon signed Gabriel Popescu (Romania) I was speechless in disbelief. I guess Suwon paid up but as of now..he aint doing much. I still remember him from France '98 but I guess now im really dissapointed. Its all about the dinero.

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What´s up guys. Greetings from Barcelona. I´ve finally found a damn internet cafe and here I am in the lovely Placa de. . . . .something. Mad shops, pretty cool. Anyway, glad to hear Hong going to LA. THis should bring out a large Korean crowd to Galaxy games. Damn, I miss posting. . . . . .oh well, take care guys.

9. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    hahahahah, "Placa de....something."

10. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Place de la.....somthing

Is it La Ramblas? I bought a barcelona shirt
    there a few years ago. There are "mad shops"
    on La Ramblas.

11. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas

You’re completely right. In fact, you are echoing my previous statements.

One day, not far into the future, MLS will be a the most important league in America, above the Mexican full of spoiled "primadonnas" and the South American leagues --which even full of promising youngsters-- are economically in the doldrums.

I know RDL AND VARIOUS STYLES (FAMOUS MEXICAN "PAISANOS") WILL OBJECT TO THOSE STATEMENTS, BUT DEEP DOWN THEY KNOW THEY ARE TRUE...

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    How do you think Hong will adapt to life in LA. I can't imagine it being that much different from Seoul except there would be a lot more Hispanics around.

And let's be realistic here. If he shows up with a desire to play, he will do well. If he doesn't, he'll get beat like a rented mule. But I can't imagine a Korean showing up anywhere not ready to play. If there is one thing you can say about Koreans it is that they show up ready to play.

Sachin

13. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are many things you can say about Koreans.

I hope he comes. Every little bit helps. Of course, it's too bad that he will play for the Eternal Bridesmaids.

14. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    if you didnt go to the Nou Camp I will kill you :) Have fun man! (BTW, how are the ladies there like?)

15. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    His parents-in-law live in Los Angeles so i doubt he will have trouble adapting and besides he's there to study english which will also help him focus while conversing with his teammates.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    I'm going clubbing tonight to try and get some pohang.

17. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    I think Hong is very likely to become the next Hernandez. Hong chose MLS to finish his career "peacefully" and most of all, learn English to start learning how to coach.

If he really wanted to continue playing football for the next few years, he would have chosen to go to Europe although he can't ask much because of his age.

He wants to learn English. EPL is a bit rough to "quietly" end his career AND study at the same time. So he is choosing MLS. Plus, LA will make Hong feel at home.

18. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is true he should stay in korea.

19. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    KF, you don't want Hong to be the next Hernandez. Luis Hernandez thought he could just waltz into the MLS and become a star instantly but he was absolutely horrible. You might remember USA vs Mexico in the World Cup when American fans were chanting "L.A. reject" for Hernandez. Carlos Hemisillo and Lothar Mattheus made the same mistake and got laughed out of the league.

I'm sure Hong will take MLS seriously though.

20. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    You gotta be realistic, he is like 32+years old, and he is a defender, thats too late to try european clubs.
    the reason Hernandez sucked in MLS was, his main intention wasnt on football than PAR TEE.
    I guess you never heard about Hong's mentality.

about foreign players in K-league, they just dont bring famous old players, they bring young prospects from eastern europe(Yugo) and south america.(Brasil)
    every k-league teams have 3+ foreign players except 1 club.

21. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    I heard El crapador was macking on some college girl in LA while away from his wife in Mexico. I think he's one of the dirtiest players out there. He's like italy times two.

22. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    yeah, like they drink too much and beat their wives (hee hee -- hey I'm Korean -- but NO I don't)

True, I doubt any Korean player of Hong's generation would EVER dog it. Of course if some hot dog (aka PUNK) like Lee Chun-soo became an old fart I doubt he'd behave any different than El Matador (Hernandez) in the twilight of his career.

Given he's a defender I think it will be harder for the casual fan to recognize his excellence (vis-a-vis a forward for whom one can simply count goals or assists), but I think his experience and work ethic will allow him to be successful in the MLS.

Last point -- I know what spanking one's monkey is. Why on god's earth would any normal f*in guy wish to spank someone ELSE'S monkey!!! Please, be careful not to mix or worse misuse metaphors :)

23. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    with Maradona's attitude.

24. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    The guy had the 3 weeks of his life, and he is considered better then anyone in MLS?

The point here is that if doesn't come to play, he will get raped. Better players have come and failed, tragically.

As for the K-League being better then MLS, I will reserve judgement on that as I have not watched anything, or read anything about the league. However, saying that the MLS shows how little you know about the league.

25. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hong will make a recognizable difference to LA fans. He didn't play for Pohang on Saturday and they gave up 3 goals and looked disorganized. He didn't just have 3 good weeks - he has been consistently good over a long period of time.

As for K-League vs. MLS, I have seen both and they are about the same, with maybe a slight edge to MLS. In the near term, the K-League is likely to improve faster, as they have better and fuller stadiums, and the current popularity will produce a big revenue jump for next season (endorsements, ticket price increases, broadcast rights). MLS has more long-term potential, but we need to get some butts in to seats, to make sure there is a long term. K-League suffers no such uncertainty about it's future. It's future is here.