Honestly what gives with hijacking songs????

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by BradDavis, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the way to one up other supporters is to not give a ******** about what they think and do your own thing. And do it well.

If it so happens that you sing the same songs, who cares?

Right now some people in this thread are bordering on this.

[​IMG]

2. juberish

juberish New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the groups who take the time and put the effort into creating their own songs are the ones who care.

3. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the bands that everyone stole the songs from should care.

4. juberish

juberish New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so now we're going to split hairs over the "tune" of the song vs the actual lyrics?

sounds like the argument of someone who wants to defend their lazy right to not be creative.

5. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or how about someone who recognizes that there is a possibility that two supporters groups could chose a song to sing without knowing another group does the same song?

6. ironhorsewayne

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    For the record, when the Red Bulls supporters sing Take em All, it sounds like shit.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Support your club, who gives a flying ******** what other teams do. Quit getting your panties in a bunch over who did whatever song or chant first.

8. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy ********ing hipster slapfight Batman!

[​IMG]

3 people repped this.
  9. charlieblackmouth

Feb 8, 2009
    South Ward
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this you?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RViE69NX9k"]Sounders Fans @Red Bull Arena 3/19/2011 - YouTube[/ame]

10. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to say that one of the biggest audio annoyances I find in MLS is the inordinate prevalence of the "We Love Ya!" chant in our league's stadiums. It'd be fine if one or two teams used it, not when more than half the league does.

11. juberish

juberish New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who does everyone think sang "We Love Ya" first?

The argument that if you "sing better" then it justifies stealing the song is a very weak one. People need to stop make excuses and weak rationalizations for this lazy theft.

Come up with your own songs. I believe in you, you can do it.

12. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not 'your' song either. It's a collective commons (not the Collective Commons, but a similiar idea).

You find me one example, a single one, of one specific person or specific list of people who have created a song, from lyrics to words to rhythms, that have been stolen by another group. Just one.

Otherwise, you sound like a child

13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Are players more inspired to perform because they know that your songs are original and not stolen from some other MLS team? :rolleyes:

14. juberish

juberish New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch! Cuts so deep!

Seriously, tell me, who sang "We Love Ya" first in an MLS stadium? Or "I Believe"?

Asking for more out of the average MLS supporters group shouldn't sound childish to you. I think everyone would benefit from more originality across the league. What I think is childish is the blatant ripping off songs and then the after-the-fact justification that because you "sing it better" it's now your song.

Sure, most songs are set to some other tune. Sure, most songs are derivative of some other song, at some point. But if you're going to rip someone off, try looking outside the league a little more, it looks weaksause to have everyone using the same songs.

15. juberish

juberish New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know what, you're right! It doesnt matter, we shouldnt be concerned about our teams having separate identities. We should all have the same song book, the same tifos. That sounds like a great idea.

I really don't understand, are people arguing against being creative and original? Don't you have a desire to have your own unique songs and identity? I'm baffled that people are trying to argue in favor stealing songs from other supporters.

16. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only objective answer to that question is the collective entity of Sports Fans. (Though I do believe that 'I Believe' originated with Utah State, no pun intended)

I really fail to see how using the same song that Braga uses is any different from using a song that DC United uses. The League also has the other issue of songs being appropriated by the National Team and the disseminated onto local clubs. The fact that the NT has no 'home ground' and travels around, picking up songs that originated in local clubs only exacerbates it.

And you're not childish for your request for originality, but rather the manner in which you're going about it. You want to be original, join a SG and write some new songs.

17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You are confusing supporters groups with teams. The identity of a team isn't what their supporters do. Besides all supporters on a team don't sing the same songs and even when groups share songs, they don't sing them the same way (at least in DC).

Besides if we a looking for song sources Argentina is a much better source than some MLS teaml.

18. joamiq

joamiq Member

Feb 14, 2006
    DC
    If he doesn't get this, I don't really see what the point in continuing this conversation is.

19. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    The biggest problem I think across the board is that there are a handful of songs sung by 1/2 or more MLS teams. And when some of those supporters are singing the same song 5-6 times per half... it is mind numbing.

The other issue is one group singing it in MLS first than another group starts singing it and claims the first group stole it from them.

Songs are unique to different avenues. Whether it's different leagues, different sports... but when you start using songs that your rival has been exclusively doing for months / years, I think that's an issue.

20. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of issue is it? Is it an issue that you're hearing it too often and your gameday experience is boring? Well, if that's the case, get with your SG and sing a greater variety of song.

21. juberish

juberish New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I feel that the supporters groups and cultures are a big part of the identity of the teams. If thats not the case, then something is going wrong.

Taking a song from River or Boca and adapting it to your team is fine. Its not like we're looking to split hairs and that your song can't be derivative of anything out there, thats not the point. The point is that overall, there needs to be more originality across the league.

So when you go out of your way to come up with a new song, and then 3 months after singing it, you see KC doing it and using it in their promo videos, it looks weak.

Of course all of our songs come from something else in some way, but within MLS, most of the teams sing at least 60% of the same songs. If it was just occasionally happening, then no one would care, but thats not the case.

22. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I contend that except for 5 or 6 people, all of whom by their nature have flocked to this thread, no one really does care.

23. juberish

juberish New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The people who take the time to come up with songs care. There's tons of people who have been supporting and singing for MLS teams for 16 years who think it's a problem, but they don't bother posting on BigSoccer.com about, they just keep coming up with original songs and other groups just keep on stealing them.

I'm just impressed with the logic "no one cares, so stop whining about people stealing songs".... like it's somehow OK because there's enough excuse-makers posting here to validate the laziness?

I don't understand not having the desire to have your own songs.

24. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a desire to have my own songs, I've written songs for my teams, and I've seen those songs reappropriated by other groups.

And I couldn't give two shits about it.

When I put in my effort, pro bono, to produce a piece of work, then share it with a Supporters Group, then publically broadcast it, I have absolutely no expectation that someone else won't reappropriate it from me.

And stop calling people lazy and theives. You've sung 'stolen' songs yourself. If you have the talent to add to the collective commons, do so. Just don't be upset when a commons acts like, y'know, a commons

25. ironhorsewayne

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Really it doesn't bother me that RB supporters butcher "take em all", the only thing that really gets under my skin (and it's been said a thousand times) is "we love ya". Every time I hear that song I wanna tear my hair out. Not because it's bad, but because it is sooooo over used. The only thing that even comes remotely close is when TA sing the same chants for 10-15 munutes straight (and that has nothing to do with me being a Seattle fan). I think it's cool that soccer supporters even have the culture that they do. I even like some of the team-forced things (Doop for example).

Edit: the "we love ya" portion wasn't directed an any group specifically.