Honestly what gives with hijacking songs????

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by BradDavis, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does "our sport" have any claim on a song written by Jack White?

2. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I thought I heard that "Oh, oh-oh-oh-ohhhhh" before that song came out ... can't remember whether it was in the Bundesliga or the Eredivisie ... when ESPN showed the Champions' League.

3. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez, what a bunch of hipsters.

4. ironhorsewayne

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Gee you know you guys keep sayin you've had it for years, and maybe there were two drunk punkers singing it at one point in your teams history but the reality is, you guys didn't sing it in any meaningful fashion until the Sounders supporters sang it at an audible level.

5. charlieblackmouth

Feb 8, 2009
    South Ward
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You truly are living up to the stereotype. How exactly do you know that NY didn't sing it in any meaningful fashion until the Sounders supporters sang it at an audible level? I was there at Giants Stadium almost a decade before this video, and there were many more people singing it than singing here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5e_N_BCPlM"]Emerald City Supporters - YouTube[/ame]

If a new team starts singing All We Are Saying Is Give Us a Goal next year I hope that they claim that Sounders fans stole it because too few Seattle fans were there in 2007 to allow them to keep singing it.

What is the threshold of when a team's supporters can sing a song, Seattle can sing it later, and not get told that they've stolen Seattle's song (which is sung worldwide)? 50 people? 200 people? 20,000 people?

And why do you care? Sing whatever you want, come up with other songs if you want and strive for the best. I hope you realize how absurd it is to accuse other supporters of stealing a song that they did first, supporters who don't give a shit if you guys do it.

6. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, NPR ran a story about 5 to 6 years ago (can't remember right now) about how the White Stripes had renaissance in Italy because of Seven Nation Army. Basically, Roma was playing some minor Swiss team, and the Swiss team's travelling fans sang that when they scored a goal. Roma fans then turned it back on them and sang it LOUDER when they scored (they admit they got it from the travellers).

After that, the song took off and became THE theme for ROMA. Ringtones sold through the roof, the single shot up the charts (for a second time) and people whistled it in the streets.

NPR then did a story on it which included an audio clip of 40,000 people singing the line over the bass drum. THAT STORY and THAT CLIP brought it to America. Soon after, every MLS team was doing it (The Galaxy still uses that loop after every goal).

It's now exploded to every league and every sport. I like doing musicology history, and so far, this is the real story. For the record, I've watched from afar as the Wikipedia page on it has changed 12 times regarding different soccer clubs' usage on it and supposed origins. Currently, everyone's been erased and replaced by the Melbourne Victory as the only soccer team using it. Funny.

As for the group I'm in? We do "Ain't Nothing but a G Thing" live with the rap and drums. I can't see Roma copying that...

Tommy Mack
    LA Riot Squad

7. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was out in LA for KC's opener against Chivas and caught your game the next night. That's the first time I'd heard it from you guys (not saying you hadn't done it before, just that I'd never heard it on broadcasts). Thought it was pretty cool.

9. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    It comes up every other home game. There were a lot of newbies this past year in section 8, so a lot of fringe songs got killed from the rotation.

10. Oister

Oister Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Mile High
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I like how pop songs and top 40 are played during NFL games.

11. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the goal is scored, Frontale supporters busting out Green Day's Basket Case.

Yes, in Japanese
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo4KUv53fxw"]2011?11?26? ?? VS ??FM 77?????????? - YouTube[/ame]

12. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was actually a Belgian team Club Brugge that had it "first" and Roma picked it up from them during the UEFA Cup away leg early in 2006. Then the World Cup happened.

At one point in time, Wikipedia did have a story similar to this, but as you've seen, the page has been edited a few times since then. ;)

13. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected, thank you sir. But the gist is the same. Any team thinking they were the "first" with 7 Nation Army or are currently claiming it as their own (ahem, Melborne!), are quite folly.

I'm still with the overall concept of this thread: ALMOST NOTHING BIG IS ORIGINAL in soccer and please enjoy the game however you want without trying to measure your genitals.

tm
    la riot squad

14. chitownboi

chitownboi Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago
    They've been using that song for a while now, especially towards the end of the game when Michigan is up.

15. kaicyr21

kaicyr21 Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Virginia
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Identity comes with time.

16. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland chants are probably the best I've heard in America. I don't know if they're completely original, but they sound pretty unique and cool. Not a diss to any of the other groups that work hard, but there's only so many times I can hear that rendition of "I will follow him".

17. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This happens everywhere and anywhere. A total non issue.

18. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there it is...

Did the Sounders sing it at an audible level in USL with 3K people in the stands? Because GSS brought the song back to 101 in 2007, and it's been done at an 'audible level' from then on. You just don't hear it that often because the South Ward favors other songs.

Bottom line is this, I see no problem with Seattle claiming it as 'their song'. Just don't go on here pretending like other supporters clubs do it only to copy you.

19. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, i hear the crowd chanting 7 Nation Army on NFL braodcasts these days.

20. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    At next year's Supporters Summit there should be a draft for songs.

Rules:

1. a pool of no less than forty-eight (48) songs from various foreign teams will be collected from YouTube by a panel of representative of all sixteen (16) teams;
    2. teams pick in ascending order based on support group season ticket sales;
    3. teams hold the right to "pioneer" those songs in MLS for a period of two (2) years, with an option to renew for an additional two (2) years;
    4. in addition, each team get to pick three (3) "home grown" songs that they've developed and retain those songs for a period of five (5) years.

If other teams wish to contest "home grown" status they must submit proof in the form of a YouTube video with a upload date prior to team exercising the "home grown" status.

Teams can trade for draft picks, song options and allocation beers - all trades must be approved by the cool kids.

4 people repped this.
  21. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who exactly are the "cool kids?" And what happens with the other three (3) teams that aren't part of the sixteen (16)?

22. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    a. whomever everyone here is trying to impress with their original or pioneered songs
    b. I'm old and I forget that there are 19 teams now.

23. Ozzimo

Ozzimo Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm the boat of people who think this is both a non-issue and that he who sings it best gets the credit (at any given time.)

If NYRB sang "Take em all" first then Sounders fans sang it better? Great. If NYRB comes back and sings it better then Sounders? Also Great. The fact that people want to one up other teams is half of supporting a team anyway (IMO).

I do however applaud when people try to add something new. One of my favorites from last season is a song for Flaco Fernandez to the tune of "Fernando"

"There was somethig in the air that night, the ball went right, Fernendeeeez!
    He scored in minute 74, down in San Salvador, Fernandeeeez!"

Maybe I'm just a sucker for player specific songs. Time to write one for Mauro. :)

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    ROFL, and duly repped!

25. juberish

juberish New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the way to "one up" another supporters group is to make your own, better songs, not to rip them off.

the way MLS is built with franchises, parity and league ownership of the players... I think it's important for the teams and supporters to try and have their own identities.

come up with your own songs, stop being lazy and then trying to rationalize it like stealing our songs helps some imaginary rivalry.