Honestly what gives with hijacking songs????

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by BradDavis, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whine and complain some more it's actually getting quite comical.

Heaven forbid we try to keep the hooligan stereotype out of American soccer.

2. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah super pathetic that we don't act like children about losing/winning a game that we didn't even really participate in.

3. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And now, for something completely different,

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

You Suck A$$hole!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How old is the MLS? 16 years? Given that for the first few years everyone is scrambling to get organised, probably make it about 12 years during which fan groups have really had chance to get rolling properly.

It takes a while for teams to come up with a song that actually sticks and gets taken up by the fans as a whole. If a team can come up with a couple of songs a year that "make it" then that would give a supporters group about 24 by now.

Hijacking happens all over. In Europe, Asia, etc. Usually, a group will pick up on a pop song and re-work the words to fit their team. If it works, then other groups will copy and use their own words to the same song.

Also, many songs are about legends of a team. Heck, United still sing about Cantona! And he's been retired for ages! The Busby Babes are still immortalised in song, and Charlton no longer has his hair (not that he did when he played...). MLS has not been around long enough for many players, or even generations, to achieve immortalisation in song.

I know there is a mad keen United supporter who is almost a pro when it comes to making up songs. And he will admit for every gem he comes up with that proves popular, he has many, many duds!

I would not worry too much about songs in the MLS yet. After all, the MLS is not even a generation old yet. There are kids growing up who where born when the MLS started, and will have watched it their whole lives. They will bring a new energy to the groups, but they are not quite old enough yet!

If the second generation took up and kept the same songs, THEN I would worry! As it stands, teams have a few songs of their own, and a collection of shared songs.

Sing em loud and proud!

If someone has an idea chuck it in the pot! If it does not stick, move on!

5. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that was everyone says? God ive always thought it was Your Socks Have Holes:rolleyes:

I think that is the one chant everyone doesnt mind to share

6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If no one hears your songs who is stealing them? I've been to Giant Stadium & Red Bull Park & I've only heard snatches of Red Bull supporters' songs (no fault of theirs) & I certainly don't remember them. While supporters sides during MLS games are often miked, its not like the the songs that are being sung are really clear over tv especially if you hadn't heard them before.

What original NY Red Bull or Metrostars songs have been stolen? You can point me back to the post if this was stated & I missed it.

7. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Soccer/footie culture in general is cut and pasted and it's pretty much for the reason's Bubba stated before. You do well enough to write US-specific wording to tunes that you know and get thousands of ppl coordinated. And that coordination takes time. Hell, many footie chants are simply coopted jingles or songs from mainstream culture. Half of it isn't actually "original". That's the point that I was trying to make. There are no songwriters sitting up writing sheet music for supporter's chants.

8. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shoot, i see a bunch of those in NFL games in the cheap seats.:cool: