Pre-match: Home Opener, Rochester at Cleveland, Fri, 5/1, 8pm, Tailgate at 6ish

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by City Dave, Apr 30, 2009.

1. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, this is what we've all been waiting for. I can't think of much more that needs to be said. We'll get to have our tailgate and then march into the stadium. I'm sure we can scope it all out when we get there. We'll track down Mark or something. The tailgate will be in the "south" parking lot. I know someone is bringing a grill. But it's pretty much BYOB, soda, whatever. Also, just like Browns, Indians games etc we've been told to go with disposable cups for the alcohol. So, if you're bringing booze be sure to bring cups. I doubt any of the alcohol will be allowed in the stadium either.

If I can make it to the tailgate (I'll definitely be at the game) I'll bring some cups, alcoholic, and non-alcoholic beverages. The Rochester supporters
    will be setting up right next to us to tailgate. We have a decent relationship with them. I haven't met a lot of them personally but a lot of the other GA members have.

Anyway, I'll be happy to take three points from them and maintain our outstanding home record. We need to be out in full force volume and attendance wise! I'm sure the strong crowd atmosphere has helped drive our players in the past, let's keep it up. I know a lot of the guys are away at school, so it's time for other people to step up! Come on you soccer fans out there, come join us! If you haven't been to a game yet now is the time! And hey, if there may be a free beer in it for you!

Let's rock The Cheese!

2. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, I'm so excited about tomorrow! I can't wait to see what I foolishly missed all last season because I never made it up to a game!! (I had excuses, but I won't bore you with them. Bottom line: I shoulda been there -- I'm from Cleveland.)

So this will be the first Cleveland soccer match I've been to since I followed the Cleveland Caps for a year. (And "followed" was pretty literal, since they didn't seem to keep the same home field for more than two games in a row.) Anyone even remember them? I have a feeling the atmosphere at City games is far superior. :D :D

------RM

3. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come up early for the tailgate! We promise to deliver atmosphere!

Also, I'm glad because I'm pretty sure I can make the tailgate now.

4. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there still $5 tickets or did I make that up?

5. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they're available any more, but I could be wrong. I just checked the website, but I didn't see them.

6. rivory27

rivory27 New Member

May 1, 2009
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Does anybody feel like making a sign that says:
    Terri Leigh is a sex goddess!!:p

7. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bit late for that. Unfortunately, we're not going to have that much as far as organized displays. We're still going to bring the noise though! I think we should do some kind of tifo for GA night. We'll be able to talk about it and plan during the tailgates.

We also need a lot of new chants. We don't have many as it is right now.

8. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool! Another veteran of the Caps' 1998 "Magical Mystery Tour". The ultimate example of that season was the match that was scheduled to be played at Rhodes and got to moved to Brush either the day before or day of.

BTW, if you ever want to talk about the weird old days of the Caps before a match, I'm the fat, semi-rodentlike guy with the binoculars.

9. Rich P

Rich P Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Cleveland, OH
    I was their PA announcer. Those were the days.

10. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You all better come out and stand and sing with us!

11. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to several games during 98. I remember one game on a particularly hot afternoon at Byers. The opposing keeper booted 3 or 4 balls out of the stadium because they weren't "league endorsed". He kept shouting to the ball boys to find some "league endorsed" balls. Ah, memories.

12. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Watched it on FSC. Nothing good about any of it. Except maybe the amount of fans who showed up in a downpour.

13. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How'd the GA look on TV?

14. Felixx

Felixx New Member

Jan 12, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the match ... what were you observations ... what do the stars need to work on etc.

15. Felixx

Felixx New Member

Jan 12, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those American football lines on the field suck, I know you guys must hate them, they make the field look so confusing. I know the Stars have been having trouble finding an adequate stadium to use; are there any plans to build your own stadium in the near future?

16. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    during the summer the lines are going to be faded out substantially. they won't be a distraction then. they're just there now while the school is still using them.

as for the game, i don't have any observations to make because i'm in prague and couldn't watch it.

17. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    They didn't show the GA at all. Unless I missed it. The broadcast was horrifyingly amateurish at best.

I'm used to watching soccer with football lines, but this was much, much, much worse. Way too many contrasting colors on that field.

As for the play, the City Stars are in way over their head at this level. It's a shame because they had a good thing going as a USL-2 team.

18. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The football lines, crappy broadcasting, and low turnout (I know that it was raining) reminded me of the games that I use to watch from the A-League in the 1990s.

I am sure that it will pick up on attendance. Even the Columbus Crew had a crappy turn out on their 1st game and the Crew is doing OK with the attendance.

19. Captain Invader

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 25, 2005
    Lake County (Ohio)
    Aren't those lines dyed into the Field Turf? (as with most high school and college fields with Field Turf or similar)... I don't think those lines are going anywhere...

Not to be a naysayer, but I think the City Stars had a good thing going with USL-2 Krenzler Field... I think the move to USL-1 / Bearcat Stadium in Bedford, will prove to be a VERY BIG mistake... but I hope I am wrong.

20. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many starters from last year are still on the team? It seems like from what I've seen on tv, whats been written about previous games and what I've heard from folks near the team, they are still coming together as a team. In the whole group dynamic phase, it sounds like they are in the storming phase.

21. rivory27

rivory27 New Member

May 1, 2009
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In my opinion, I think this move was purely due to the USL-1 losing Seattle this year. In the next 2 years, its about another 2 clubs making the big jump to MLS.
    Usl 1 had to come the Stars and pitch a 'once in a lifetime opportunity.'
    The Stars had to move up and the Stars probably were backed into the corner by USL! top dogs.. Oh well, at least we can't get regulated...:rolleyes:

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Atlanta. Seattle they had time to plan for. Atlanta threw a monkey into the wrench.

Kudos to any of you who went despite the conditions.

And it was 0-0 at the half, the first goal was a penalty (a deserved penalty, but still), the second goal Menyongar was offside and the third one was a rebound off an inexperienced keeper. Hopefully brighter days are ahead.

But, yeah, that field...man, I don't know.

23. USA Shrews

USA Shrews New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Cleveland Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I went last night, and although it's great to see Cleveland test themselves against higher level opposition than last year, it might be a loooong summer.

Observations - there seemed to be little team spirit, more a collection of individual players in the same color jersey, hopefully this will improve in the coming weeks. First touch too often resulted in the loss of posession, the weather was woeful, but I thought Rochester adapted better than us.

The field - apart from the football markings, and the big black sections of turf, there were two widths of soccer field marked. It did not look good at all compared to Krenzler Field.

Hopefully things will improve over the coming weeks and months.

24. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They did not show the crowd at all and you couldn't hear anything. I assumed because of the typhoon that seemed to be taking over there didn't appear to be a lot of people there.

I think (THINK) the broadcast was not done by FSC. It looked like what STO did last year. Like someone else said, it was very amateurish. I don't think it was produced by Fox.

It's a shame you couldn't stay a Cleveland State. That was such a great field in a great location.

25. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players back from last year are Musa, Godfrey, Stovy, Ryan Stewart and Hunter.

@Captain Invader, the lines will not be totally gone, but they will be faded out substantially. They will not be anywhere near as prominent during the summer. They will still be slightly visible, but they won't dominate the field like the do now.