PBP: Home Opener Chicago Fire v. Cincinnati FC (forlorn chili) Soldier Field 7:30 MLS Season Pass

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Mar 1, 2024.

?

What happens on this FIRST HOME MATCH OF THE YEAR!?!?

1. Fire win, in impressive fashion

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. Fire draw

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Fire lose, at home, sending the huge Soldier Field crown home as sad (trash) Pandas

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Something STOOPID Happens!

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  5. Klopas out coaches the coach of the year Pat Noonan! (would that be "something stupid"?)

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  6. Win or lose, at least we have the US Open Cup to look forward to this seasoning. DOH!

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. F the Open Cup. Leagues Cup, bay-bay!

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. Malort

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  9. Rubber Dick!

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  10. Cuypers opens his "account"

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  11. Cuypers is a virtual non-entity, again

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  12. Shaqiri shows true captain grit, by "padding his stats" with a penalty

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  13. Is Messi playing?

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  14. Why can't matches be on free or, at least cable, TV? Even ESPN + was less sucky

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  15. We see raccoon invade Soldier Field, gobbling up stale popcorn and the tears of Fire fans

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  16. The Fire game is a prelude to the BIGGEST CONTEST OF THE WEEK- "Super" Tuesday!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I'll be at the game

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  18. I'll be at home

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  19. Imma watch the new Avatar: The Last Airbender as it is WORSE than the Fire ever have been.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I thought Acosta looked like a world beater in the first half, covering a lot of ground and helping keep possession for the Fire. Second half, not so much.

I had similar thoughts about Guti last year. That he’s much more of an attacker than a creator. He wants the ball at his feet and to run with it but his off the ball play is a step or two back from his attack.

hollowfish repped this.
  2. hollowfish

hollowfish Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Indiana
    funny you mentioned “Ante” Cuypers reminds me a lot of Razov

3. hollowfish

hollowfish Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Indiana
    he looked completely out of shape!!!

4. hollowfish

hollowfish Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Indiana
    Mueller and having a second striker for Cuypers to play off of is the only way that he’s gonna work.

5. Gobernador Blanco

Chicago Fire
    Mexico
    Jul 30, 2022
    Upper Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I heard there was traffic issues so a lot of folks were a bit late. Also agreed on the supporters section. I don't know or really care about all the SG politics but sounds like Sector Latino doesn't want to have anything to do with the rest of the SGs. I think having them in separate ends isn't a bad idea. They did that in Bridgeview

6. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Totally the opposite in the south lot. That was one of the most attended pre-match tailgates and folks were excited and it showed! The lot was rocking. Hopefully many will be back for our only afternoon match in a couple of weeks. I hate that the Fire always seem to start out slow and spend most of the season trying to dig out of the early season hole.

bunge and goldclover repped this.
  7. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The pre game lineups on MLS showed that we were seting up for a 3-4-2-1 formation and Cincy was using their 3-4-1-2 formation. They would have two forwards in front of a CAM and we'd have one forward in front of two CAMs. I would prefer the formation Cincy used was what I was saying.

bunge and Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  8. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ahhh...I read your original post as both being 3-4-2-1. I guess I mis read it or lost interest after a bunch of numbers...or, the occasional dyslexic perplexic issues manifested in my mirror brain again? Yes, I tend to agree.

goldclover repped this.
  9. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    So was there a siren? I never heard it on the Apple TV. If so when? And how was it done?[/QUOTE]

siren thing was weird. Sector Latino gives a honorary captain (famous guy) an axe. Famous guy smashes a glass case and rings the fire alarm. Pretty cringey. It was before the game, and the B96 guy narrated it.

10. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game sucked, but given the new players on the team and the difficulty of the opponent, I think we gotta wait. If the team plays like this against a Charlotte or DC United, then I’ll bring the pitchforks.

11. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    siren thing was weird. Sector Latino gives a honorary captain (famous guy) an axe. Famous guy smashes a glass case and rings the fire alarm. Pretty cringey. It was before the game, and the B96 guy narrated it.[/QUOTE]
    I couldn't negative rep so I just quoted you. It's not what YOU said it was the message.

See, my recommendation and something I've been saying for 15 years is they should buy an old school Cold War crank siren and mount it on the (non existent currently) capo stand. Capo cranks it at first whistle of each half and goals...organically. No narration or mumbo jumbo. Wanna have a guest dignitary do it? Ok...have that dignitary mingle among the common folks, climb the stand crank it while it's televised during the kick off. Nothing cheesy like that. Oh well...maybe some day?

GHjelm, Jiggly_333 and bunge repped this.
  12. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    It made no sound in the stadium. It was awkward.

xtomx, Jiggly_333 and Mikebsiu repped this.
  13. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Odd. I heard it but it was delayed.

14. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Remember the Apple TV thing, where every team shows their tradition? Well, the fire didn’t have one, so we are trying to manufacture one now. When it’s not organic, it comes off as very corporate.

Pennsylvania Dave, goldclover and bunge repped this.
  15. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Exactly.

goldclover repped this.
  16. hollowfish

hollowfish Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Indiana
    because he forgot to pull the handle after he broke the glass

17. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waited for my blood pressure to drop back to triple digits before commenting That match was so disappointing!
    Did Fire progress on any season goals?
    learn how to play through pressure-no. avoid really sloppy mistakes on defense-no. progress the ball up the field better-no
    fullbacks and wingers increase pressure on opposing defenders-no. better offensive interplay between Shaqiri & Gutierrez- no
    better defensive pressure by DMs and AMs- no. provide better service in front of goal for Cuypers, EtAl- no
    improve offensive and defensive set plays-no. complete dangerous passes- no

Not sure where they did make progress! Fortunately the season is just beginning!!

18. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any rumors on the amount?

19. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Guti gotta progress. He got a sweet new deal and can’t be complacent.

xtomx and goldclover repped this.
  20. No, but "multiple" teams were willing to pay Gent's asking price so the personal terms were the deal maker.

21. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he did not come for the pizza or the weather?

22. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #97 harrylee773, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    I'm less concerned about Guti after the opener than anyone on the team, and most concerned about our coach, same as ever. Guti was mostly invisible and did try to get too cute a few times, but he was at least creative and played like he wanted 3 points after being involved in 100% of our goals last week and drawing the PK that lead to our only goal this week. I think he'll be fine, but obviously he didn't have his best game.

Felt like Cincy shut down the middle of the park on us after the first 15 minutes, and we had no response. When we found a way to get to the Cincy half of the field (felt like mostly from long balls and a few players single-handedly dribbling from our side of the pitch to theirs) there were flourishes, but Shaq couldn't seem to play the ball anywhere but short, and Cuypers just either wasn't where he need to be overall or wasn't where people were expecting him.

Czichos, oof.

Acosta, meh, but I also think he'll return to form and be decent quickly.

Fabi actually played with some urgency and did his best to help us transition from defense to offense, but his skillset is limited in that regard and he's probably not the player we want responsible for that.

MHS also seemed to be a little too cute for his own good out there - sometimes you need to shoot or put the ball in a dangerous space and it felt like those were the times where he wanted to take a few extra dribbles instead.

Brady was the only reason we didn't lose by more, and the lone bright spot.

We backpassed so many times I could've sworn I saw a mirage of Logan Pause at some point.

The opening alarm thing is corny just as everything trying to force a connection to the word 'Fire' is - not organic and super cringeworthy.

I'm normally super optmistic, especially early in the season, but I've seen this movie before. Nothing about Klopas' history as a coach tells me we're going to get more than 1 point from our first three games and I wouldn't be shocked if that's what we finished March with. Either way, we dig an early hole, go on some sort of second half run to pull the long time fans like me in, and then shit the bed, every damn year. And this year, instead of the Open Cup, we only have the dumbass Leages Cup to suck in outside of MLS play. Two thumbs down, too predictable and bland.

23. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    With the contract extension he got he should be producing something more than nothing in a home game like this.

goldclover repped this.
  24. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general, I think saying what any player 'should be' doing is an impossible argument, and just like I don't care who is and isn't a DP, I don't really care about someone's contract status when they're out on the field if they're producing. He didn't really produce last night, but still was involved in our only goal by drawing the PK, which other than Shaq scoring it and Brady's heroics in net is more than I can say about any other player out there.

25. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I was mostly being sarcastic because of the idiots who keep harping on Shaqiri’s contract. Sorry. Now Hugo has a bigger contract and Guti was given the red carpet treatment, I expect the spotlight to move from Shaqiri to the new kids in town.

Again, that too was sarcasm because I don’t actually expect people to be able to course correct themselves with any integrity.

xtomx and harrylee773 repped this.