Home-Grown Players

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by Jahinho_Guerro, Sep 17, 2010.

1. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are missing a few of HG players:

Houston - Francisco Navas Cobo
    LA -Jack McBean
    plus the newest FC Dallas & Sporting KC kids, but those just were announced.

2. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Yep... still a few bios to do. Planning to add them over the weekend and get it up to date.

3. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't really sure where to post this, but Diego Fagundez scored a beautiful goal against NJSA this past weekend for the Revs U16s.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1la8fnZau8"]YouTube - Revs U-16 vs. NJSA 04 U15/16[/ame]

4. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

Very good ball skills but that is some piss poor defending. Why is he still playing for the U16's?

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask and ye shall receive. That was on Saturday; he played with the U18s on Sunday.

6. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

Good. I'm a firm believer in pushing these kids as high and as fast as they can. Nice to see the Revs understand the importance of not letting the kid run circles around inferior competition.

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. He racked up a ton of goals for the Revs U16 last year as a 95 going up against mostly 93s and 94s. I'm not sure how much more he can learn at this level.

You don't want to overwhelm a kid who only turned 16 last month, but it seems like he's ready to play with bigger and stronger players on the U18 circuit.

8. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

Oh yeah. I wouldn't throw him in against the first team but if he's doing that well against 16's he should definitely be moved up.

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://revolutionsoccer.net/news/2011/03/youth-update-march-14-2011

Two goals and two assists for the U-18s against PA Classics on Saturday.

I think he'll be all right at that age level.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As far as the FCD homegrown players go, many of them played in yesterday's 4-0 victory over Central Arkansas. This was technically an FCD reserves game, coached by Oscar Pareja.

The lineup was:

FC Dallas - Josh Lambo, Moises Mernandez (Daniel Garcia 73), Zach Loyd (Jack Coleman 46), Scott Gordon, Victor Ulloa, Bobby Warshaw, Andrew Wiedeman (Michael Ambrose 52), Bruno Guarda, Andrew Jacobson, Peri Marosevic (Bryan Leyva 46), Ruben Luna (Jonathan Top 46).

Of note was the inclusion in the match of Daniel Garcia............another kid currently in the academy. Schellas had praise after the match for Michael Ambrose and Jack Coleman. These are two FCD academy kids that have been called into US youth national teams recently (U18s), but will be attending the NCAAs next season. Ones to keep an eye on.

The academy leaves for their trip to Spain tomorrow (to play Atletico, Real, and Getafe). It's worth noting that Jonathan Top, Bryan Leyva, and Victor Ulloa will be joining the academy team on that trip. That should tell us something about their chances of getting playing time with the FCD first team in the short term.

11. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I have a feeling that FC Dallas is going to be tough for a long time. It seems that they have followed Soccernomics to the bone of player moves.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/real-salt-lake-ink-first-home-grown-player

Real Salt Lake said Monday that they have signed their first-ever Home Grown player, Donny Toia. The 18-year-old Tucson, Ariz., native is expected to join the club later this week.

According to RSL general manager Garth Lagerwey (above), Toia is “really athletic, left-footed, fast, can jump – likely an attacking player.” However, he went on to explain, “He’s so young – as Luis [Gil] was when he started – we’ve got to see how he fits in with the group, and see where he projects over time.”

Although Toia is from Arizona, he is not a graduate of RSL’s Academy program located in Casa Grande, but did participate in the RSL youth program in Arizona for two years.

13. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://whitecapsfc.com/news/2011/03/whitecaps-fc-sign-brian-sylvestre-bilal-duckett-and-jeb-brovsky

14. wgoood2

wgoood2 New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chirgadze released

(Fixed link from above post)

Is Chirgadze the first HG player to be released? I can't think of any others.

16. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    UPDATE

Chicago Fire
    Aug-10 Victor Pineda, M

Chivas USA
    (* denotes some are debatable since they preceded the rule, but still spent in the clubs academy)
    Jul-07 Jorge Flores, M *
    Mar-08 Gerson Mayen, M/D*
    May-09 Cesar Zamora, M
    Mar-10 Carlos Borja, D
    Aug-10 Bryan De La Fuente, M

Colorado Rapids
    Aug-10 David Armstrong, M

Columbus Crew - none

FC Dallas
    Sep-09 Bryan Leyva, M
    Jul-10 Fernandez Moises, D
    Jul-10 Victor Ulloa, D
    Jul-10 Ruben Luna, F
    Jan-11 Jonathan Top, F
    Feb-11 Richard Sanchez, GK

DC United
    Sep-09 Bill Hamid, GK
    Aug-10 Conor Shanosky, M
    Mar-10 Andy Najar, M
    Dec-10 Ethan White, D

Houston Dynamo
    Feb-09 Tyler Deric, GK
    Mar-10 Navas Cobo, M
    Jan-11 Josue Soto, M
    Jan-11 Alex Dixon, F

Sporting Kansas City
    Aug-10 Jonathan Kempin, GK
    Mar-11 Kevin Ellis, DF

LA Galaxy
    Nov-08 Tristan Bowen, F - traded to Chivas USA
    Jan-11 Jack McBean, F

New England Revolution
    Nov-10 Diego Fagundez, M/F

New York Red Bulls
    Sep-09 Giorgi Chirgadze, F (released Mar-11)
    Mar-10 Juan Agudelo, F
    Jan-11 Matt Kassel, M
    Jan-11 Sacir Hot, D

Philadelphia Union
    Dec-10 Zach Pfeffer, M

Portland Timbers - none

Real Salt Lake
    Mar-11 Donny Toia

San Jose Earthquakes - none

Seattle Sounders - none

Toronto FC
    Aug-10 Doneil Henry, D
    Sep-10 Nicholas Lindsay, F
    Mar-11 Ashtone Morgan, D
    Mar-11 Matt Stinson, M
    Mar-11 Oscar Cordon, M
    Mar-11 Keith Makubaya, F

Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nov-10 Phillippe Davies, D/M
    Feb-11 Nizar Khalfan, M
    Mar-11 Brian Sylvestre, GK
    Mar-11 Russell Teibert, M

17. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Looks like I need to update the database.

They really keep these signings hush hush.

PS - Chirgadze is the first ever homegrown released. Reasons still unknown... though I've heard he didn't take the game serious enough.

18. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    I don't believe Nizar Khalfan qualifies as a homegrown player. I don't see Vancouver classifying him as one either.

Week 2 Roundup is online... considering the amount of players away on international duty, disappointing only a handful saw time this week. Several made their club's respective benches, but didn't see action.

19. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    The fact that the Crew are the only team (non recent expansion) to not have signed anyone yet is concerning. And the whole "the white kids on their team would rather go to college" seems like an excuse to me.

20. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Ok.... but New England, Philly, Colorado, and Chicago have only 1 signing each. And all 4 of those teams have seen their homegrown players play zero minutes of MLS time.

I think it's a bit too early to go into panic mode with the Crew. As an aside, I wonder if Friedel's Academy had any impact here?

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Doubt it.

One of the starting centerbacks on the U17's is a Crew kid............Andrew Souders. I'm not positive, but he may even be the captain of the U17's. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being a homegrown signing for them.

It's important that MLS clubs sign the "right kids" as homegrown players. No point signing kids up just for the sake of signing them up. That's doing a disservice to a kid that could be attending the NCAAs with their peers.

22. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    And that I think is exactly what happened with some of the first wave signings. Some of the Chivas USA guys, Red Bull's Giorgi Chirgadze, perhaps a few others.

You can already see a few busts or perhaps guys who were unable to adjust the size, speed, and physicality of MLS.

23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our GM has said that many of our academy of our kids want to go to college. He expect to be able to get a couple as they move through college. They have tried but just havent hit it yet.

24. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Again this sounds like a cop out from management. You think kids from Cbus are the only ones that have thought about going to college? There has got to be some other reason these kids aren't getting signed, whether it be the front office being tight with the wallet or something else, I'm not sure but something isn't adding up. Especially when you consider how long the Crew have had their academy, some kids should almost be done with college now.

25. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think it's possible that that's true that the kids want to go to college. RSL's Donny Toia wanted to go to college, too. He went to college, found out he wasn't getting anywhere there, didn't like college, quit, and came back to RSL hoping they'd give him another chance.