Home-Grown Players

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by Jahinho_Guerro, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is extremely poor in what must be a soccer hotbed of Northern California. Why aren't they mining this better?

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $$$$

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Historically it has never been a great area for developing talent. Here's an article for the best players associated with the bay area and only one, Wondo, is actually from there. The rest played there but grew up elsewhere.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_25924556/world-cup-2014-picking-an-all-time-bay

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't know that and that is more of an allstar played in SJ list. I would be more interested in a Northern Cali list of players.

5. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Wondo is far from the only name in that list who grew up in the Bay Area. Cannon, Dayak, Doyle, Kinnear, Beitashour, and Rick Davis did, too.

6. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Among other recent ones, there's
    95 Thompson
    94 Pelosi
    93 Joya
    92 Lletget
    91 Okugo

Pretty good flow of talent.

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Your right. But it's not a great list of talent. Compare for instance to San Diego.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hmm, that's a much better flow of talent. Maybe the bay area will start producing close to their potential now. I especially like Thompson. I really enjoy dribblers.

9. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montreal might have enough set a record for number of homegrown players on the field at one time, they had 4 at once, and could have had 2 more.

And there was quite an impressive display of skill by many of them. Lefevre continues to play decently enough to fight for starts, and all 2 of 3 new guys were very convincing. Both JGL and Louis are starter material, while the striker Jackson was pretty mediocre.

This game was a great opportunity to showcase them, long term it's a silver lining on a dismal season, and if we were in a better spot we might never have seen them.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they lost and looked lost most of the game? If 1/2 of Montreal's HGs are still around in a couple of years I would be surprised.

11. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1011 fuzzx, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    True, though there are still more kids coming up right behind them.

Saputo has a vision of making the Impact "Quebec's team" and investing in the $10 million training facility is only one part of that. This city responds extremely strongly to local heroes, and I expect the 30 man roster to be composed of higher than average number of HGP's at all times. They have 8 right now, and I expect it to stay that way, if not higher.

Having the kids in depth roles is certainly better than journeyman Americans, or cheap internationals in most cases.

12. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was curious, so I charted the HGP's:

[​IMG]

I must say, Dallas and Columbus certainly surprised me.

13. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Building from the ground up is the Hunt way.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  14. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking at the developmental academy list and noticed the Crew have two teams:
    Is the first one only Crew in name or can Columbus sign players to homegrown contracts from both academies?

And on a bigger note, how are MLS teams limited to signing homegrowns? Does each team get one academy to pull from or can they have more than one?

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Looks like Wolves is based in Detroit and that's outside of the Crew HGP territory.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  16. revsfan603

revsfan603 Member

New England Revolution
    Jun 20, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    ADO Den Haag
    It depends on the team some only have one academy but some have multiple, for example rsl, and then colorado and chicago i believe but im not sure. They give them the academies in areas were there is no mls academy team. For example rsl's academy is in arizona. Also accourding to topdrawersoccer.com la galaxy have two u13 teams, a north californian team and a south cal team....

soccersubjectively repped this.
  17. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what about FC Dallas, for example. They have premiers that feed into the academy team. Do they count?

http://www.fcdallas.com/youth/club/development

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats up with Portland and San Jose? One?

19. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Newer academy systems? Don't rush things imo. You don't sign someone just to say you singed a HG player.

20. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, San Jose didn't join the USSDA until 2010 so they definitely are a bit behind some other teams.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously. But both teams are old enough where they should already be producing players. I guess it shows their ownerships commitment to youth.

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm totally drawing a blank on his name, but Portland lost their top prospect to Holland. he was one of the guys called up by Klinnsman for the recent USMNT friendly.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A
    are the Sounders being given credit for Bowen? They've only produced three so far. Yedlin, Kovar, and Okoli. They tried signing Darwin Jones and Jordan Morris last season, but both opted to return to college instead

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubio Rubin. I know he had a history with the Westside Metros, which are now connected with the Timbers, but did he spend much time with the Timbers after said connection was made? How strong would Portland's claim on him really have been?

25. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Mlssoccer.com seems to indicate that Westside didn't become part of the Timbers' system until later.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...rubio-rubin-explains-why-fc-utrecht-are-right