Home Depot Atmosphere

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by crusio, Dec 6, 2004.

1. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I know atmosphere is completely subjective, but am still curious what it is like at the Depot Center during a game. Who are the fans? Are they latino? Is crowd made up of kids? What's the general feel of the place? Stuff along these lines.....

2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much like the city of Los Angeles, the usual crowd for a Galaxy home game is sort of a melting pot of soccer fans. You have the soccer mom crowd - parents with their kids, the "ethnic" fans - people who probably cheer for their native or ancestral country more than for the US, business types who got some corporate tickets and wouldn't know an offsides trap from a throw-in, and the really dangerous people- the diehard fans who insist on standing during the games and chanting and have come up with names for their thuggish clans.

Blue-collar, white-collar, no-collar, they're all there. Which is why I love going to the games so much. It is typically a little more laid-back than I would like, the soccer-mom and corporate crowd mutes everything a little too much. But when it's an exciting game it starts to get pretty electric in the stands and the noise level goes up and it's a lot of fun.

Except for how much they charge for parking and beer...

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it depends on the game and the opponent. I really believe that one material element of the traditional soccer experience is a good size away supporters group to fire up the locals. When San Jose is in town, we get that. When NE or KC comes to town, not much.

I've never tried to do an "ethnic census" of LAG crowds, but my gut reaction is that the crowd is about 50/50 Anglo and Latino. In the Latino group, only a part is Mexican - our larger ethnic groups are Guatamalan (no surprise) and Salvadorian.

The LA Riot Squad in the south-east corner does a good job of chanting/cheering/swearing/drinking and other traditional soccer-related activity. Did I mention drinking? The Glaxians have drums and are more family oriented, but still do a lot of traditional cheering and noise making. I think Galaxians have about twice the size group as Riot Squad, but I could be wrong on the numbers. The North End general admission seats (The 12th Man Section) can be pretty loud too, but not very organized.

We do get our share of kids and soccer moms, and I know from other threads what you think about them. If it weren't for the #$#@^$* plastic horns, I could tolerate them. We do have an amazingly wimpy "mascot" but mostly people ignore it/him. We used to have a guy who dressed up like a witch doctor and fired up the crowd, but he hasn't been around for a while.

The roof makes a huge difference by keeping the noise inside the stadium and reflecting it back. And the upper deck is a great noise-maker, because people can stomp on the metal decks. When LAG scores, there are confetti cannons - which seems to fire people up.

I have been to games in Chicago at old Soldier Field and in Naperville, and games at RFK. I think the hard core group at RFK is bigger than ours, and I like the "bouncing" stunt they do. And Sec. 8 at Fire games is a little bigger than our supporters' sections, but no more intense. Over all, I think our crowds tend to be louder than the RFK crowds (at least at the games I've been to) and I haven't seen Fire at home since they moved to NSF, so I can't judge.

You need to come out and make your own judgment, but I think you would find that a good game at Victoria Street is about as close as any MLS game comes to the real feel of a soccer game. BTW: It wouldn't hurt the atmosphere any to have a team that could attack occasionally!

4. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the crowd is more likely 75% Latino and 25% Other Than Latino.

Without Latinos, our crowds would be more like Sad Jose in size. In fact, without Latinos, I seriously doubt there would be an LA soccer franchise and I doubt that there would be MLS. The $ revenue would simply not be there.

Have you hugged a Latino today? ;)

Topper

:D

5. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    As bias and immature this post might sound to some people, I actually agree with it very much. Without Latinos involved, I fell North American Soccer would have nevere risen above the collegiate levels.

6. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latino...Gringo...who cares? We are all Galaxy fans. :rolleyes:

Personally, I can't tell what the atmosphere is like at games because I seem to always have some 6-year-old blowing in a horn right behind me. I can't even hear the announcer tell us who the Kohls fan of the game is. :confused:

7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really feel that it has been evolving something like this:

Year 1 LAtino 95%, Anglo 5%
    Year 5 Latino 75%, Anglo 25%
    Year 9 Latino 50%, Anglo 50%

I really believe that above. Which I think is why it is great to have Chivas in the league to recapture some of the latino fan base that the Galaxy has lost over the years.

Mike

8. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really see any bias whatsoever in my post? I can guarantee you that in my heart and mind, there is none.

I was making an observation of the crowd in HDC, not passing judgement of any kind.

BTW, I took my own suggestion and hugged a Latina today, and I would say that we both enjoyed it. :D

Topper

9. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't call it Horn Depot Center for nuthin'.

Don't be a Horn-Hater! :p

10. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HDC is louder then RFK because of the roof, it's already been mentioned amongst DCU fans that a roof is a must have if/when they get their stadium...for many reasons, including Noise Levels.

11. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    "Tide-al Wave!"

12. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Can't forget the Western Union Right-Around-The-Corner Kick...

13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before I decided to post a serious reply, I was originally going to say that the Home Depot Center Atmosphere is composed of 75% Nitrogen, 20% Oxygen, 3% Carbon Dioxide and 2% Menthane, the menthane being the byproduct of all the bull**** Dougie's been laying the past two years...

14. mickeymac

mickeymac New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Paso Robles, CA
    How about the Pete Fajardo Red Card?

15. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you remember those early innocent days when the LAG had "the official jalapeno of the Los Angeles Galaxy."

And the one thing that should have been brought from Pasadena to Carson was King Taco. Better than anything sold in the current concession stands!

16. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God the bacon wrapped hotdog venders found their way down the 110.

17. Bayer04fan

Bayer04fan New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA,USA
    U forgot about those wonderful horns!!! I hate those stupid things!! Ought to be banned. D.C. has the best atmosphere along with Chicago, IMO, and I live in L.A., our games are not as "intense" as Id like

18. ibpick

ibpick New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    L.A.

rumor has it the horns are banned...seriously

19. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless, Bayer04fan still deserves a punch in the groin. "OOOH GAMES JUST AREN'T AS INTENSE AS I'D LIKE! WAAAA!" Get with the Riot Squad, that should do yah.

Chicago, indeed. Their crowds were weak sauce this year, and the atmosphere of Solidier Field must be like playing in the Grand Canyon.

20. JoeDub83

JoeDub83 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    MISSOULA,MT 420
    The Galaxy playin in the Rose Bowl would be more like the grand canyon than the "new soldier field"

21. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. It was. That's one of many reasons that the experience at Victoria Street is so much better.

22. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many games have you been to at RFK, or are you judging by the TV coverage? I've seen three games there. Their supporters groups are top notch, loud and wonderful. But the other 90% of the stadium might as well be the Dead Zone, and because of the roof Victoria Street is much more intense overall.

23. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The two times I've been to RFK, it sounded like the Rose Bowl during a Wednesday night game.