Holland vs. Scotland (Aftermath of Game 1)

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by trams, Nov 15, 2003.

1. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bluedaddy

Ok, thanks for the info.

My squad for Wednesday:

van der Sar

Bosvelt Reiziger FDB Bouma

VDM Davids Overmars

VDV

RVN Makaay

I put Bosvelt in because while short on talent, he's long on fight which is what the Oranje need. Bouma at LB because that's his club position instead of retro-fitting in guys like Gio and Zenden who are midfielders. Reiziger at CB because he's fast and will make up for F de Boer's slowness (hopefully). I'd thought about starting Robben over Overmars because he's likely an unknown quality to the Scots but I like the idea of bringing him in later against a tired defense to run at them as he's so good at. I'd consider starting him over Makaay or possibly putting P-Air in to add danger in the air and on free kicks.

And Kluivert has to sit, he's just going through the motions right now and can't play with RVN who deserves another start after a serviceable game against Scotland (the committment was there).

2. trams

trams New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Re: We need Andy but most importanly...

I agree completely. This is the one thing I am 100% sure about regarding oranje... Rafael van der Vaart start and finish the second leg and all other matches possible for Holland!

3. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Re: Bluedaddy

van der Sar

Bosvelt Reiziger FDB Bouma

VDM Davids Sneijder Overmars

VDV

RVN or Makaay

It's going to be one way traffic and I don't see how making a mess around the box will help us out. We need quick, dangerous attacking.

IMO that leaves Kluivert (too slow) and RVN (misunderstood and not very clever) out in this case.

If it fails, take out a MF and bring in Kluivert.

4. trams

trams New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Something needs to be done!

None of us know exactly what Holland needs to do to win, it's all speculation. But we all agree that things need to be changed for the 2nd leg and then some.

The problem is if Dickie tries something new and it doesn't work out, he's gone. If he plays it safe and it doesn't work out, he's gone. That's a lot of pressure for a coach. Would you want to say that you got handed the #3 team in Europe and you were unable to qualify for Euro, so you had to quit? I wouldn't.

Do I think he needs to change some things? Yes. I hope he changes things dramatically for the second leg. I don't even care if he does something I don't agree with. As long as he does something seriously new and different. What does he have to lose? Just his job. If you're going to go out, go out in style. Shake some things up! Move some guys around.

Stick out your chest and make it happen Dickie! Who knows, you may just inspire your team.

Hup Holland!

5. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    AFCA

Not bad. I like Sneijder but I think Robben is better and I'd play him over Sneijder. Maybe RVN up front with Robben and VDV playing off of him.

6. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    There is no need for 4 defenders on wednesday!

I know that 4-4-2 has some tradition in Holland but 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 will be better against Scotland.

7. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It's more of a 4-4-1-1 thing. Strong midfield, secure defense.

Sneyder and VdVaart in. They bring fresh energy and have both proven to be able to handle the level of play. Sneyder also has a very good free kick and good shot in general. Vd Vaart can be very usefull to connect midfield and offense as he is easily reached with his back to the goal (a situation he's always dangerous in). Also has a good shot, but most of all... the ability to give the ball that last small stroke that makes the difference. Both of them score easily.

Seedorf out. He can play, but he's playing his own game. No need for him ever again. There is no future for him in the Dutch NT. Hasn't been any since... quite some time. And I'm not saying that because I don't like him (I don't)

IF holland makes it... it's time for a few changes. Advocaat and v Hanegem out. Although hard to say who should replace them.

More young talent, off with the old guard, except for those that have shown to really be of use. This is also important because people are fed up with the arrogance of some of the older players.

Everybody plays on black shoes. No true Dutchman can cheer for a white boot f.a.g.g.o.t

8. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    What he does for United matters absolutely nothing for the Dutch squad, because he can not bring the same to Oranje. Plus I've seen his last couple of matches, he's supposedly 'back' from a bad stretch of form because he finally scored a penalty again (which every moron from the street can do: I can do it, that proves it :D ) and because he accidently got hit by a ball which caused a goal. Wow, impressive! Kluivert at least does it in Oranje, which has not been the case for van overrato. More people would be seeing this if their judgement wasn't clouded because he plays for Manchester United.

What I got from that quote, is that he's right.

Too bad Ruud is the media's pet besides just on this American board, because Advocaat might actually decide to ditch Kluivert for him, when what he should be doing is play Kluivert as a striker again, and not as a midfielder.

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can't believe you are comparing Ruud's current club form with Kluivert's current club form. Kluivert only just scored his first goal of the season for Barca - and has nearly been run out of town. You have a sad devotion to days long gone if you think Kluivert is the answer for the new Oranje.

And now Kluivert is backpedalling cause he knows Ruud is on the Team Sheet and he might not be if he can't work with Ruud:
    The players can see that Ruud is the man to get the ball to. They have faith in him and know what he is capable of. I have no problem saying that my opinion on Ruud is swayed by him playing for United, but the team seems to have it's own ideas as well. Once Ruud gets going and starts scoring goals for Holland, he will keep going and you will be happy. I guarantee this!

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

we have no time to wait for this guarantee... we have wednesday

as for kluivert, his outburst has almost certainly taken him out of the lineup... advocaat is a babyand doesn't like dissent

11. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm not comparing their club form, I'm saying that Ruud's club form isn't all that great either, and regardless Kluivert at least brings it to the Dutch national team (while he's played out of his position) while Ruud can't deliver when he's playing on the only position he's capable of playing.

I've only seen those quotes on english news sites, haven't seen it mentioned once in the Dutch press so far, so I'm thinking he's right in saying that he got misquoted.

Misquote or not, it would still have been right. Kluivert + Makaay, or Kluivert + vd Vaart has shown to be much better than the Kluivert + Ruud partnership, it was a disgrace that Advocaat decided to pair these 2 up again in one half of the most important matchup Holland has.

12. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Compared to the three horse race in holland?
    To be totally fair on the little genital you have to take into account the fact that rangers in his first seasons in charge had no competition whatsoever, celtic were abysmal, its a miracle under barnes we even finished second so Advocaats time in scotland isnt glowing by any stretch of the imagination, when MON took over the reigns at celtic park we humiliated him time and again, his teams have no bottle and crumble under the least pressure, a bigger hibs squad would have forced them into third that season too.
    That said his rangers side did beat PSV home and away in the champions league....

13. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didnt feel like reading the rest of your post, as im not interested.
    and you are absolutelty right, it is only a 3 horse race, BUT at least other teams can challenge for points. sorry if im being ignorant, but in the SPL isnt it a HUGE upset if one of the glascow teams lose to dundee, dundee untd, hearts, aburdeen, etc?
    where as in holland if a top 3 lose to...AZ, Hen.., etc its not that big of an upset.

14. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    but in the SPL isnt it a HUGE upset if one of the glascow teams lose to dundee, dunde

Exactly. In the SPL, Rangers and Celtic pretty much only lose to each other. Even a smaller club tieing Rangers or Celtic is a bit of an upset.

15. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    http://produktiv.com/cgi-bin/tms_split.cgi?month=200007&day=29&month_e=200105&day_e=21&sort=-2

For the season 2000/01 (one of advocaats) that has rangers at 37 played, 8 lost, they lost 10 times domestically that season IIRC, 3 of them were to celtic, thus 7 wins to the rest of the SPL, among them a 3-nil loss at ibrox to kilmarnock.
    Im not slighting the eridivise, dont miss my point, im illustrating that contrary to some opinion Advocaat wasnt the all conquering hero here some seem to see him as.

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    touche... but i think we are making the same point about advocaat so i'm not certain as to why you seem confrontational

and i should also point out that AJAX and feyenoord have plenty of european success on their resume

17. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    who hasn't :D

18. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Parkhead

As Blue said, we pretty much all think Advocaat is a tool. He's crap tactically, crap at player selection, crap at player development, crap at player motiviation, and crap at toupee selection.

19. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Re: Parkhead

For a man whose surname means 'lawyer,' I think 'Dick' is a fitting first name.

20. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    If my surname was Kok i'd name my kid Dick for sure.

21. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What a THRASHING!

That 1-0 loss to the Scots last week sure was a wake-up call to the Dutch National side. They really beat the piss out of the Scots. Guess they didn't want Europe to doubt their ability on the pitch.

22. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    That's ironic- if I were naturalized to be a Dutch citizen, I always said I'd change my name to:

Dick de Kock [​IMG]