Holland vs N. Ireland & Belarus - Euro qualifiers

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Oct 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    England and Germany tried to do so, with varying success. Even Mbappe tried it against Blind a few times.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    THIS! de Jong missed his marker by meters and van Dijk was left stranded with one in front of him and one behind. No way he can defend that situation.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Barely an average performance by the Dutch. They got the win which was the thing to do and are still atop the group. Park the bus fixture coming up against N. Ireland and then an easy one against Estonia to finish out qualifying.

4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sloppy 2nd half but we got the 3 points

5. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Cillessen bothers me too.
    I can’t get out of my head how many shite goals he allowed during the Euro 2016 campaign.
    Give Vermeer a chance I always thought he was better then Jasper.

6. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Cillessen is crap. Been saying that for years and people always get up in arms about it.

Problem is there is no up and coming young goaltenders

7. gabrielguilarte

Feb 23, 2016
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Players looked tired. The pitch also sucked big time. On another note I don’t know if we can field those 3 in midfield against a better side. We need a pure destroyer like De Roon. Wijnaldum and Van de Beek didn’t work together today IMO. De Roon provides cover for De Jong so he can play freely. De Jong today the player I enjoyed the most. Malen missed a big chance and after that his confidence decreased and he did miss a couple of passes. Bergwijn plays so conservative, he can do way more and we need that. I don’t see a strong reason for not bringing Stengs since our wingers are not convincing at the moment. Also Koopmeiners if we need more bite in the middle. Let’s see but this team still needs to gel and I don’t think we are going to have enough time for that.

8. A situation with van Roon wouldnot happen.

Orange14 repped this.
  9. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Uncomfortable win... though I think the final score was a bit too generous for Belarus. It should have been at least one more goal for Oranje - and I think everybody would have been satisfied.

Malen missed a huge chance and should have netted (great save by the GK to his credit!!), Wijnaldum lost the footing at the crucial moment. Van de Beek should have, at least, tested the GK with his half-volley in the first half.

I thought overall the game was played too narrowly (Blind, and especially, Veltman were no help). Belarus packed the defense well, and closed down with discipline. That, and the horrible pitch condition... really impacted Oranje's flow of the game.

Depay was missed a lot more than I thought. He is the only attacker with the cutting edge and boldness. Today the frontline was very timid and tentative, Malen particular (first start... so I guess you have to give a him a pass). Promes and Bergwijn in a non counter-attack situation are pretty useless, though at least Bergwijn had a few good link up plays. Good to see Wijnaldum on the scoresheet - that should shut the haters up for a while. :cool:

2 W's in 2 matches. Far from convincing, performance-wise, but 6 points are in the bag, sitting on top of the table, and qualification to Euro 2020 is practically, for all intents and purpose, are secured. Onwards and upwards!! :thumbsup:

10. Bela Rus was as defensive, maybe more, than the N Irish were. I missed the first half as I wasnot prepared to wait out the black out and thus also missed part of the second half. I missed all the goals. So from what I did watch the inclusion of Donny van de Beek against a bunkering team wasnot helping at all. It did make the midfield unbalanced and from what I understood (didnot see it) that did lead to the goal from Bela Rus.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  11. From the AD Sportwereld report:
    De Roon
    Wit-Rusland kreeg het geloof terug en Oranje viel terug in het spel van de openingsfase. In een te laag baltempo kon de ploeg nauwelijks tot kansen komen. De beste mogelijkheden waren dan ook opeens voor Wit-Rusland, dat via de counter het doel van Jasper Cillessen enkele malen onder vuur nam. Na het inbrengen van Marten de Roon herstelde de balans van Oranje op het middenvelder en gaf de ploeg geen kansen meer weg.

De Roon

Belarus regained faith and the Orange fell back in the game of the opening phase. With a too low ball pace, the team could hardly get any chances. The best possibilities were suddenly for Belarus, which attacked Jasper Cillessen's goal several times via the counter. After introducing Marten de Roon, the balance of the Dutch team was restored on the midfield and the team didn't give away any more chances.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  12. Ratings by AD Sportwereld:
    https://www.ad.nl/dossier-wit-rusla...t-wijnaldum-excelleert-als-het-moet~a2025f64/
    Oranje op Rapport: Wijnaldum excelleert als het moet

CijfersMet de tweede overwinning in vier dagen tijd zette het Nederlands elftal een grote stap naar het EK. Zonder imponerend spel was Oranje met 1-2 te sterk voor Wit-Rusland. De spelers en de bondscoach op rapport.

Freek Jansen 13-10-19, 20:25 Laatste update: 20:29
    Jasper Cillessen 5.5
    In de eerste helft zag Jasper Cillessen geregeld een aanvaller van Wit-Rusland voor zich opduiken, maar hij hoefde niet in actie te komen. Dat was acht minuten na rust wel anders, toen Stanislav Dragun hem met een kopbal passeerde. In de daaropvolgende minuten drong het thuisland aan, maar Cillessen hoefde geen redding te verrichten.
    Matthijs de Ligt 5.5
    Matthijs de Ligt kon in de eerste helft de twijfels over zijn vorm niet van zich af spelen. De verdediger van Juventus tastte enkele keren mis, maar was daarnaast ook één keer van cruciale waarde, door bij een 0-0 stand aanvaller Laptev van scoren af te houden. Na rust speelde De Ligt een sobere wedstrijd.

Virgil van Dijk 6.5
    Net als tegen Noord-Ierland probeerde Virgil van Dijk met zijn crosspasses het spel in balbezit geregeld een boost te geven. Dat lukte goed, alleen verdedigend kon Van Dijk niet voorkomen dat Oranje een tegentreffer moest incasseren. De aanvoerder koos om spits Laptev te dekken, waardoor de bal achter hem vrij kon worden ingekopt door Dragun.

Daley Blind 6
    Net als Veltman vindt Daley Blind zichzelf bij Oranje op een andere plek terug dan bij Ajax. Als linksback lag ook tegen Wit-Rusland de nadruk bij Blind op balbezit. De verdediger zit goed in zijn vel en dat kwam in Minst vooral tot uiting aan de bal.

Donny van de Beek 5.5
    Met zijn loopacties creëerde Donny van de Beek geregeld ruimte voor zichzelf en zijn medespelers. Hij werd echter te weinig bediend, waardoor de Ajacied maar sporadisch in het spel voorkwam. Ook na rust kwam Van de Beek nauwelijks in het spel voor, waarna Ronald Koeman hem 25 minuten voor tijd verving voor Marten de Roon, om de balans op het middenveld met succes te herstellen.
    [​IMG]
    Frenkie de Jong 6.5
    De strakke dekking op Frenkie de Jong, zoals door Noord-Ierland gebeurde, was bij Wit-Rusland niet zichtbaar. Daardoor kon de middenvelder van Barcelona bij vlagen weer zijn rol oppakken als regisseur van het aanvalsspel. De Jong versnelde veelvuldig het aanvalsspel, maar tot het gewenste effect leidde het te weinig.

Georginio Wijnaldum 7.5
    Met zijn vierde en vijfde doelpunt in deze kwalificatiereeks eiste Georginio Wijnaldum in Minst een hoofdrol op. Daarnaast bood de middenvelder van Liverpool in de slotfase aan Donyell Malen een niet te missen kans. Wijnaldum nam als aanvallende middenvelder Oranje bij de hand op de momenten dat hij het moest doen. De eigenschap van een topspeler.

Steven Bergwijn 6
    Joël Veltman kwam aanvallend veel op rechts uit, terwijl Steven Bergwijn aanvankelijk achter spits Donyell Malen speelde. Op die plek kwam hij nauwelijks in het spel voor. Dit veranderde toen Bergwijn meer vanaf links ging spelen. Zoals altijd gooide de aanvaller van PSV veel energie in zijn spel, maar ook hij had moeite om in de kleine ruimte te imponeren.

Donyell Malen 5.5
    Tegen de fysiek sterke verdedigers had Donyell Malen het aanvankelijk lastig om als spits zijn stempel te drukken. De topscorer van de Eredivisie moest zijn eigen ruimtes gaan zoeken om zich te onderscheiden en dat was een lastige opgave. Na de invalbeurt van Luuk de Jong kreeg Malen in een vrije rol vanaf rechts meer ruimte, maar tot overtuigend spel leidde het niet. Twaalf minuten voor tijd miste hij dé kans om Oranje in veilige haven te schieten.

Quincy Promes 5
    Het ene moment leed Quincy Promes simpel balverlies, het volgende moment gaf hij met een fijnbesnaarde voorzet de assist op de openingstreffer van Georginio Wijnaldum. Promes speelde een te wisselvallige wedstrijd en werd 25 minuten voor tijd vervangen door Luuk de Jong.

Ronald Koeman 6
    Ronald Koeman voerde vier wijzigingen door in zijn basiselftal, waarbij alleen de spitspositie door een blessure van Memphis Depay noodzakelijk was. De bondscoach wilde Wit-Rusland met een 3-4-3 formatie verrassen. Dit had niet de gewenste uitvoering, maar wel het gewenste resultaat met de 1-2 zege en daarmee de drie punten. Met vrijwel zekere plaatsing voor het EK tot gevolg.

13. Nieuws
    Oranje heeft EK-ticket dankzij Wijnaldum voor het grijpen
    [​IMG]
    Georginio Wijnaldum na zijn tweede goal tegen Wit-Rusland. Beeld EPA

14. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    They might play bad but at least they are not dumb. Not brainless.

I am happy we don't have such militaristic clowns in our team. Nothing has changed since the days of Peco Bauwens and Hermann Neuberger.
    https://www.tagesspiegel.de/sport/e...ameraden-der-nazi-rudel-kam-1978/1246390.html

15. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Oh I see now Brilliant Dutch has deleted the red card for Can post (at which point it was 0-0).

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Haha....it was 0-0 halftime and I got all excited that Estonia might pull off a shocking draw :D

It was not to be of course, what the hell was I thinking :(

17. Telegraaf ratings Belarus-Orange team:
    https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1615399458/de-cijfers-van-oranje-wijnaldum-de-beste
    JASPER CILLESSEN: 6
    Jasper had een rustig avondje en daar hoop je als keeper op tegen zulke ploegen. Hij heeft zich niet kunnen onderscheiden. Aan de enige goal van Wit-Rusland kon hij weinig doen.

JOËL VELTMAN: 5,5
    Dat hij de voorkeur zou krijgen als rechtsback verwachtte ik wel. Denzel Dumfries heeft een paar matige wedstrijden achter de rug. In de praktijk stond Joel bijna rechtsbuiten. Hij heeft elf voorzetten kunnen geven. Maar slechts anderhalve voorzet kwam goed aan. Dat moet beter. En je kunt wel heel veel voorzetten geven, maar de drie voorhoedespelers van Oranje zijn met z’n allen net 2,50 meter.

MATTHIJS DE LIGT: 6
    Iedereen denkt tegenwoordig dat Matthijs alle duels makkelijk wint. Dat heeft hij ook lang gedaan. Maar nu is er een fase dat hij het drie of vier keer wat lastiger heeft. Tegen de Wit-Russen moest hij een aantal duels een tegen een uitvechten, omdat Virgil van Dijk even op het middenveld was. Zulke duels móet je dan winnen. Dat lukte hem uiteindelijk wel, maar het ging heel moeizaam. Aan de bal was hij ook iets minder. Toch scoort hij nog een voldoende, want uiteindelijk toont hij karakter en verliest hij die duels niet. En hij had een belangrijk block.

VIRGIL VAN DIJK: 6,5
    Met zijn prima crossballen over grote afstand en de andere passes die hij verstuurde, stond hij redelijk vaak aan de basis van een aanval. Alleen bij de tegentreffer van Wit-Rusland laat hij zich even foppen. Maar helemaal goed stond het om hem heen niet.

DALEY BLIND: 6
    Misschien speelde Daley te lang met de handrem op. In de eerste helft was er genoeg ruimte voor hem, maar hij is amper over de middenlijn geweest. Heeft dat met de vorige wedstrijden te maken? Misschien wel. Daley is van nature beter aan de bal dan zonder bal. Hij weet dat zelf ook. Soms laat hij zich verrassen als back. Opbouwend en aanvallend is hij normaal hartstikke goed. Toen Luuk de Jong erin kwam, kon hij eindelijk zijn voorzetten kwijt.

DONNY VAN DE BEEK: 5,5
    Donny heeft hard gewerkt en dat is ook een onderdeel waar je hem nooit op kan pakken. Hij heeft kracht, loopacties, alleen was daarvoor veel te weinig ruimte. Eén kansje kreeg hij, maar verder was hij onopvallend. Dat kwam niet alleen door hem. Het tempo was te laag.

GEORGINIO WIJNALDUM: 7,5
    Deze man heeft zoveel ervaring en inhoud. Hij staat er ook altijd en wordt nooit nerveus. Je weet dat hij zelfs in de 95e minuut nog de power heeft om te scoren. Die derde goal was hem ook gegund. Maar met zijn eerste twee doelpunten had hij al een groot aandeel in de zege. Vijf doelpunten in de laatste zes kwalificatie-interlands. Zulke getallen halen de meeste spitsen niet eens...

FRENKIE DE JONG: 6,5
    Als je zo vaak briljante dingen laat zien, verwacht de gemiddelde voetbalfan dat hij elke wedstrijd wordt verwend met mooie dingen van Frenkie. Zo werkt het niet en dat hoeft ook niet. Tegen dit soort tegenstanders moe je discipline tonen en geduldig zijn. Voor mij blijft het altijd een genot om naar hem te kijken.

STEVEN BERGWIJN: 5,5
    Een beetje vlak. Zo moet je zijn optreden omschrijven. Omdat Veltman op de rechtsbuitenpositie kwam, ging hij steeds naar binnen. Steven was steeds aan het zoeken naar ruimte. Ik vond hem ook iets minder fris dan in voorgaande wedstrijden.

DONYELL MALEN: 5,5
    Bijna hetzelfde verhaal als bij Bergwijn. Omdat er geen ruimte was voor loopacties, kwam hij vaak in de bal. Het valt ook niet mee om Memphis Depay te vervangen. Die werd ook een beetje gemist. In de slotfase heeft hij altijd een actie of een assist.

QUINCY PROMES: 5,5
    Na een moeizame start had hij toch aan paar aardige schoten en een assist bij de eerste goal van Wijnaldum. Is er veel verschil tussen Ryan Babel en Quincy? Ryan is opportunistischer, Quincy wat getructer.

BONDSCOACH RONALD KOEMAN: 7
    De bondscoach kwam met een logische opstelling, zeker na de vorige wedstrijd. Maar ik vond ook zijn wissels weer heel logisch. Het gaat om het resultaat. Toen Marten de Roon erin kwam, staken de Wit-Russen niet meer zomaar het middenveld over. Het maakt Koeman nooit uit wie hij eruit moeten halen. Als het nodig is voor het resultaat doet hij het.

18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  19. GreenAndWhiteArmy

GreenAndWhiteArmy New Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    Just what the Hell did you expect? That we (Green And White Army) should have been jumping up and down in delight?

Fact is, 45k Dutch fans were pretty much silent for 80 minutes, only coming to life when you scored. Whereas 4k GAWA were the only ones to be heard for 80 minutes, were briefly stunned when those late goals went in, but finished the game lauding our boys for their effort.

Having followed NI all over Europe, I had really been looking forward to my first visit to see them play in Netherlands, especially in the famous De Kuip.

Instead, the home support was a complete disappointment throughout, and as for Rotterdam, I thought it was supposed to be a "proper" football city, but I was wrong - you'd hardly know there was a game on.

Give me Germany and German fans anyday! Or Bosnia. Poland. Estonia. Sweden. Slovenia. In fact, just about anyone!

If that's typical of your support, then you don't deserve a football team.

20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^^ LOL.....you still mad?? :D

21. GreenAndWhiteArmy

GreenAndWhiteArmy New Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    No, not "mad" (angry), just disappointed.

Obviously disappointed that we lost, when with a bit of luck we might have got a draw, or even a victory.

But more disappointed in the whole experience. When I travel away with the GAWA, I know that more often than not we will get beaten, sometimes heavily. But I can still enjoy these trips since it's a chance to mix with the home fans, "tick off" another stadium, and enjoy the big match atmosphere, both in the stadium, but also in the host city.

And it's also an opportunity to do some sightseeing in places i haven't been before.

In just about every one of the above categories, Rotterdam was a let-down, as well as being overpriced, and with shit weather.

We didn't get much luck out there last week - but it will be lucky if we don't ever have to go back to that shithole any time soon.

P.S. I've been elsewhere in the Netherlands previously, and enjoyed both it and the people.

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would think being from Ireland you are used to shitty weather.
    Last time I was in Belfast it was terribly windy, rainy and cold. And that was in the summertime

As far as home crowd is concerned, Dutch people have never been loud or obnoxious, we tend to be more subdued. But you saying we dont deserve a team is just sour grapes. You're pissed off that you lost in dying minutes and thats understandable I guess.

Better luck next time.

P.S. I think you can still qualify through Nations League, can you not??

jasperb repped this.
  23. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bummed to hear that you had a bad experience.

Unfortunately I think this has a lot to do with the fact that the Dutch fans just don't really see Oranje vs Northern Ireland in the EK qualification as a "big game". Of course it was an important game, but not a big one. The city isn't going to live for this like it would during a major tournament for example. It's more of a feeling of "this just has to happen" and when we get a good result it's a sigh of relief and then we move on. No one is getting excited about the qualifications, all of the stress and focus is on the major tournament considering we've missed the last two.

The Dutch fans are notorious in major tournaments, some of the best traveling fans in the world. But like I said, this just wasn't the moment.

As far as Rotterdam, personally I am also not that impressed by Rotterdam. Its been getting hyped up massively in the last years, often topping lists as the best upcoming city in the world from sources like lonelyplanet. This is supported by lots of international celebrities who have bought homes there. Still, everytime I have been there I haven't really been that impressed either. I think it just appeals to some people because it's very different than the typical old medieval European city that usually attract all the tourists throughout Europe/The Netherlands. Rotterdam feels a bit more like a Northern American/Northern Asian city rather than a European city. Again, I think this appeals to some people, but not me personally.

Brilliant Dutch makes a good point though... you can't really complain about bad weather when you come from Northern Ireland.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  24. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Yes, I agreed. One more thing that concerns me is that it seems De Ligt is regressing. He kept making many mistakes in NT as well as at Juventus (although he blocked and saved a goal). If he does not improve himself then it is time to bench him in favour of De Vrij. He need to clean up and cannot keep making mistake again and again because it will get penalized/cause damage sooner or later. Hopefully we will have full strength squad + reinforcementsin the major tournament because without Van Dijk, Depay, F De Jong, Gini no one else has stepped up.
    It may not sound nice but I hope Strootman does a favour by announcing retirement from national team so Koeman can call up Ihattaren the next time. I know it will likely not happen but I'd love to see Koeman take some youngsters to the Euro even on the bench.

25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands