Holland-Scotland

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by windycity, Oct 13, 2003.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Re: Van Bommel Out Until the New Year

van der vaart can still play champions league

2. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Don't you have a few injuries? Stam & Ooijer?

You would probably have a couple of Barca players to replace them!

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

stam should be ready - ooijer i dont care about, i'd rather have numan out there in a rocking chair

4. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dutch Squad for Scotland

No surprises:

Doel: Edwin van der Sar (Fulham), Ronald Waterreus (PSV);

verdediging:Frank de Boer (Galatasaray), André Ooijer (PSV), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona), Jaap Stam (Lazio Roma), Boudewijn Zenden (middlesbrough), Michael Reiziger (Barcelona);

middenveld: Paul Bosvelt (Manchester United), Phillip Cocu (Barcelona), Edgar Davids (Juventus), Clarence Seedorf (AC Milan), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax), Rafael van der Vaart (Ajax);

aanval: Patrick Kluivert (Barcelona), Pierre van Hooijdonk (Fenerbahce), Roy Makaay (Bayern München), Andy van der Meyde (Internazionale), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United) en Marc Overmars (Barcelona).

5. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm...they are not going to play ruud and i doubt they will play makaay, so what would be the best formation? i would think a 4-3-3 with 2 out and out wingers.
    ...................kluivert..................
    overmars........................vdMeyde
    vdVaart...........davids......seedorf
    cocu.......fdb..........stam.....reiziger???
    idk

6. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I like that 4-3-3. But I'd put someone quicker than Cocu at LB (he's lost a step) such as van Bronckhorst.

7. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Has Advocaat ever played 4-3-3 ?

8. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sonic

Good question, not sure if he has in this incarnation as coach but it was the traditional Dutch approach for years so he may have done it in the past.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

why do you doubt makaay will play? pessimism or did you read something? i say he plays in scotland, i expect we will see somehting like this:

...............van der sar
    .........stam..............FDB
    bosvelt........................reiziger
    ................davids
    ..cocu.....................van der meyde
    ............van der vaart
    .......kluivert.......makaay

10. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No Robben???

I missed this when I posted the squad but why wasn't Arjen Robben called up? That sucks.

11. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just because roy really never gets chances in holland, i would like to see him play tho. your lineup confuses me tho...is cocu on the right a mix up with andy? with the players you put i would think davids would be better on the left, andy on the right, cocu dmid and raffy amid. can bosvelt play rb?

12. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought i remember him doing it at one point with robben and vdMeyde in the lineup recently, could EASILY be wrong tho.
    even if he did not play a 433 he could still use wingers. overmars is great, has been playing well, etc, he should be in i think. as for andy...ahh i dont think he is that good.

idk but i wouldnt mind seeing marc as RW or RM and robben his opposite.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

first of all, i left out overmars (stupid!!) - so a slight change:

...............van der sar
    .........stam..............FDB
    bosvelt........................reiziger
    ................davids
    van der meyde.......overmars
    ............van der vaart
    .......kluivert.......makaay

1-VDM can and does play both sides. but R is his best

2-bosvelt can play RB, he started a couple euro2000 matches there IIRC

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll be very interested to see which way these games go. As a Brit I'll be supporting the jocks, obviously, but it should be a good couple of games.

I read something in the British press recently about the stuff that's going with Advokaat and RVN/Kluivert - IIRC it was saying something along the lines that Advokaat says that RVN and Kluivert will never play in the same team as long as he is manager. Is he on something? If so can I get some...

I tend to think that's going to be the problem with the Dutch side - you seem to spend more time squabbling among yourselves to achieve what your football dictates you should achieve.

15. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    That, and the fact that Frank de Boer is still in their team, a strong favorite for the slowest pro player in the world award.

16. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I think Scotland fancy being underdogs. No pressure and all that. Also the fact that the Dutch camp seem to be unsettled. And as you say, F de Boer is not the player he used to be.

However i still can't see us winning. We have a decent, young side but a real lack of a world class talent. McFadden will cause the dutch the most problems ( your right back will need to have a good game - i'm disapointed Ricksen isn't playin!). We do have a chance of a draw at hampden though. Good atmosphere and team spirit will give us a chance at least.

I predict similar scores to what we got against the Germans. Glorious defeat yet again!

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You've got a few more than McFadden, though. What about the lad at ManU on the right - can't remember his name - he's a bit useful.

I don't know - I tend to think it's going to be a bit more of a game than the Dutch are expecting though.

I certainly hope so...

18. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Darren Fletcher is who you're talkin about. Very good young player, has the potential to be one of the best in the world. However the fact that you don't know his name proves my point. We do have some great youngsters though and in 4 or 5 years we could have a great team but that has been said many times before in Scotland.

We do have a chance though, really hope we win...

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the tough part for Scotland is Celtic and Rangers aren't using the young Scottish players and giving them the opportunity to play in Europe.

Seems like the rest of the SPL is harvesting the talent, but it they don't have the ability to get them to the next level. What they do have is heart and guts, and that's what Holland usually lacks.

20. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    looks decent, that little triangle up front is the best, if not only, option...but when the midfield play in a diamond formation the LM and RM are pinching, so why put 2 wingers there? Cocu and Seedorf would be best but either VDM or Overmars with Cocu could also be an option....2 wingers with VdV already as a support for 2 strikers is way too offensive..

Also: reiziger on leftback with grandpa De Boer as left-central defender is a recipe for disaster....

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i think everyone is way too hard on reiziger

22. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha i get to watch the game this weekend live on espn!!! :D something good abotu ecuador!! lol. although most of you with mini dishes will most likely get it on setanta or whatever,

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i should also be able to watch this one here in germany - if not GO TO FIERY HELL!! :D

still wondering whether i should make the trip tp a'dam for leg 2...

24. MarcoVanBasten

MarcoVanBasten New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    NYC
    Back to RVN rumors

..and what is it I hear Advocaat running a tandem of VDV-RVN in practice? Is Dick bluffing after all?

25. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i just checked, both legs are on in germany :)