Holland-Scotland

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by windycity, Oct 13, 2003.

1. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My faith in Oranje is below zero..Doesn't matter who they play, they're gonna lose....

With that in mind, I'd rather have Spain as opponents, cause then it would be somewhat normal if we didn't make it. Now we're going to lose to scotland, and be the laughing stock of Europe once again. I can hear the Belgians and Germans laughing already......

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-i didn't complain about the refereeing you chode, i pointed out that we went down to 10 men and gave a penalty early on the road to one of the best teams in the world

2-whatever you wanna tell yourself dude... and HOLLAND were eliminated in the WC98 semis (brazil) and euro2000 semis (france) without losing a match... and scotland?

3-i guess we'll find out, won't we? just be sure to come back after the ORANJE post a 5-1 aggregate win

3. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Claiming you were up against it with only 10 men on the park is a comment on the referee who sent the player off...
    If your players can't keep their head during important matches then it doesn't bode well for the Scotland game, does it? :)

But it seems you're happy living in the past (World Cup 98, Euro 2000), it's 2003 now in case you hadn't noticed.

And drop the name calling, it just makes you look ignorant.

4. MarcoVanBasten

MarcoVanBasten New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    NYC
    Oranje vs Scotland

Oranje certainly make qualifying for major tourneys interesting. Who here said: "If Holland can't beat Scotland they don't deserve to do to Portugal?" Spot on! But we all said exactly the same thing last time at Lansdowne Road and we stayed home.

Bottom line is though, if you were to bet your life's savings on this game you'd bet it on Holland. There is no way this Scotland team can advance..... unless proven otherwise.

5. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    And exactly what are you trying to say on this thread?
    What is the point you're trying to prove?

That someone regular on this board cannot even dare mention a referee's questionable call and be hounded by a (surprise..!) Korean supporter?

Every poster on this forum knows that the current Dutch side is far from anything called great. Bluedaddy just mentioned about david's stupid behaviour but no-one is using that as an excuse.
    So don't pick on one tiny comment and make it as if the entire fault was because of a bad call and that posters here are frowning about how unlucky we were.

Most everyone is level headed enough to know that on a bad day the Dutch could lose to anyone including the Scots.

Or are you trying to say that Scottish football shouldn't be frowned/made fun of, especially by Dutch supporters because of recent failures?

But don't blame the posters here if they lack the 'tact' of showing any sort of recognition towards Scottish football.

Given that one day, any day the Scots could very well beat the Dutch, that doesn't even put them on the same level with the Dutch in terms of footballing heritage, level of play, contribution to the world game and quality of players produced, past and present. We both know this.

So what is your whole point?

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Love this draw, especially after the Scottish uproar over possible UEFA seeding. We win this one easy!

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's keep the name calling out of it regardless of point of view.

Now, as a fan of the Netherlands and of Scotland, 9/10 times the Orange get the 3 points. However, that said - and as said before...the Dutch could screw up a night in a brothel. They may decide that its beneath them to play together because Davids wants to wear Green shoes, and van Bommel wants to wear silver.

You can never tell which Dutch team is going to show up. They can play the most beautiful soccer in the world, and lose 1-0.

8. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The most dangerous opponent in November will be Holland.

If Holland get their act together it WILL be an easy win. No offense, but Scotland are hardly any better than Moldova or Austria. Only a bit tougher.

It's really a matter of keeping your cool. And that's where it might go wrong. Some sort of self fullfilling prophecy thing I guess.

They should (and surely can) put Scotland aside like it's business as usual. But we all know that they won't.

I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland go through.

9. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I wouldn't be too surprised but I still think it's 80/20 Holland advances. I think the Oiranje players know what's at stake and it's not like there's no recent history for missing a major tournament. I think that will give the Oranje the motivation that they need.

I predict 0-0 on the 1st leg (maybe 0-1 for Holland) and then 2-0 for Holland in Holland.

10. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    I'm not a Korean supporter, I'm a Scotland supporter from Scotland who happens to be living in Korea. Always be careful when making assumptions...

I like the idea that because someone is a "regular" their ideas and posts hold more sway than someone who isn't.

I'll reiterate the point here - Holland and Scotland are both in the play-offs for a reason: they finished 2nd in their group.

I could also question whether Holland have contributed that much more in the way of footballing heritage than Scotland... but seeing as you guys have more than 3 times the population to draw on then it's not surprising if you were.
    Even the current UEFA League rankings show that you're not that much ahead of Scotland, with the Dutch league 8th and the Scottish league 9th...

11. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Faith in a boy, put the ball on VDV foot and watch what he does w/ it. Holland 4-2 Scotland Aggregate.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    holyjoe, where you a premium meber i'd suggest an avatar bet...

as is, i'll just have to wait to be smug at ya

and btw i believe he made the regular comment to imply that someone was trolling... tra la la

13. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    So you don't support Korea?

14. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Sarcasm aside, I understand what that sentence is meant.

You'd possibly have more "sway" in what you're trying to say if you started a thread in the World Rivalries forum, rather than in this Dutch forum.

But basically the way I read it, is that you come in here and try and tell us in your own way that the Dutch are as not that great and they're pretty much on par with the Scots, per capita and all that.

I'll agree with you on the first subject but as far as the second is concerned, that's a subjective point of a view and bound to conflict with each other as each side decides to see it.

15. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    who is gunna score for scotland?? Mcfadden? Fletcher?? haaha.. i truly do not see the goal scoring threat from Scotland to get them thru...
    they will nic one in glasgow but just do not have the defense to stop the oranje~

1-2 in scotland

2-0 in holland

IMO~~

see you in portugal dutch fans!

:)

phishy

16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holland play very nice voetbal, but always have the same problem every year...no defense.

17. bolas

bolas New Member

Mar 1, 2002
    IN THE CARIBBEAN
    whenever it counts ORANJE chokes!

18. bolas

bolas New Member

Mar 1, 2002
    IN THE CARIBBEAN
    that's right!

19. bolas

bolas New Member

Mar 1, 2002
    IN THE CARIBBEAN
    Looks like we "suck" just as bad as each other, then? [/B][/QUOTE]

Or you both suck really well!!!

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    actually the usual problem is missing PK's

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Re: Televised in the US?

setanta tentaively has both legs on their schedule... stay tuned

22. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That would be great! I figured that they would show it as it probably would have the most interest here in the US of all the playoffs.

23. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    At least our up-and-coming star gets a game for Everton!

In response to a post a while ago, Lithuania are not a great team but Latvia are very similar and they finished second in their group (and won in Sweden to do it!).

Lithuania also drew 1-1 in Germany.

IMO I think Scotland will draw 1-1 at Hampden where the atmosphere with be electric and it'll be something like 2-1 to Holland in Amsterdam.

24. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Northern Ireland?

25. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Bommel Out Until the New Year

Crap! Doesn't help prepare for the games with Scotland, same with van der Vaart's KNVB ban.