Post-match: Holland - Lessons Learned (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Mar 3, 2010.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Can you guys sign Jonathan Bornstein?

Ask Don Leo.

Johnny is cheap and fast.

He just can't play football.

Teach him.

2. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's almost like they watched his club games, thought he could bring something to the team, called him into camp, watched him in training, determined he was of sufficient quality, and rewarded his good training play with minutes in a run of games.

Imagine that.

But I'm sure this was a one-off and that's not how things usually work. :eek:

3. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, considering he's a college player that made his way in Europe, and that he got minutes after his first camp, I would say that he's something of an anomale.

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ...1) The EPL clubs obviously don't have a clue.....just ask Porto and AC Milan.

...2) Keep smoking that stuff....you tellin' me that Wayne Rooney isn't "spacially aware".....?...Chances are he couldn't find Holland on a map....but he seems to have learned the game ok.....without growing up in "The Dutch Fashion"....

5. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because players like Rooney are a dime a dozen in England, right? :rolleyes:

6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    No. Only in Holland.

7. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real problem is the Holland vs Netherlands thing, that's what would cause Wayne problems i think. A dutch guy, once told me "Holland" was IN "The Neatherlands". Very confusing for me even, and I might be better at geography then Wayne Rooney is.

8. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Not sure how firmly your tongue is planted in your cheek, but for anyone who's confused, Holland is in the Netherlands.

9. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Are you talking about that English team that started four players from France, one from Spain, one from Denmark, one from Russia, one from Belgium, one from the Czech Republic, one from Cameroon, and one 36 year old Englishman, who also happen to be managed by a frenchman.

Though I have to admit that Arsenal do support your point. While many of their players were bought in their mid to late teens, Wenger doesn't appear to have stunted their growth.

10. First to Bolivianfuego, I wasnot talking about futsal circus acts as a Dutch hallmark, read my post again.

England66, I didnot post that the EPL is shit, but the developing of Dutch players in the typical Dutch style is shit. I realize that it came over differently than I intended.
    About Wayne Rooney I agree with you that he's a great player, at the moment in my opinion the best player in the EPL and yes he has learned the game excellently, but that wasnot my concern. He learned to play the English way, which is alright if you are English, but our youngsters learning to play the English way is going to be disastrous for our way of play.
    It is very good for our players, when they have developed their skills in our system then to move to the EPL, where they face the best opposition to learn to put their skills to the test on the pitch under great pressure and speed.
    It isnot for nothing that we rank in the top of the national teams for decades, despite our minimal population size and relatively weak league. But I fear that that is going to be lost if our best talents arenot fine tuned by us, but by EPL coaches.

11. chrisinho

chrisinho Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Back in HelLA
    nice. too bad using the bottom of your foot to pass or shoot at speed would land you on your culo on a pitch

12. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Sounds to me like you did.....

13. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea, I know that. It was an extreme example, but its an example of how little bits of futsal can be seen in dutch football at the highest level. You can see that many lpayers have Futsal roots like Robben, Elia, Sneijder, how they all roll the ball with their feet, the style of how they stop the ball, their ability to play close, tight passing in between spaces.

IMO one of the reasons holland plays such good attacking style which is your calling card now, like brasil, is your roots in futsal and street futbol.

It can still be used at top speed, look at riquelme.

14. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Yeah, lesson learned. We need to play more futsal. Don't the Dutch kids practice with a really small ball?

Zidane rolled the ball under his feet a lot. His signature move was a futsal move.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYsjH8o0G74"]YouTube- Zidane Futsal[/ame]

Ronaldinho as a kid playing futsal.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6180cMhkWJA&feature=related"]YouTube- Ronaldinho Playing Futsal[/ame]

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Oh, I love the "nose goal" by the Cowboy. We used to do it too as kids ... in the mud with a regular ball, not futsal.

As to Rooney - he is a great power player in a power league. In basketball terms, he's a lot more like Shaq than Nowitzki.

I think what Feyenoordsoccerfan was trying to convey is that, if you're Dirk Nowitzki, Shaq's power style ain't gonna work for you.

This is normal for the global basketball - no one can play the power based game like the Americans and that's why no one tries it.

When the Soviets won their Olympics, they did it by running screens, fast breaks and pick-offs and by using their taller players like Arvidas Sabonis to launch uncontested threes.

And much like the Dutch in soccer, they have to do it this way because Gasol, Divac, Sabonis and Nowitzki will never be another Shaquille O'Neal or Moses Malone. They can't rely on sheer power. They have to rely on something else.

16. yes, but it came out differently than I wanted, so if it was offending I apologise.

17. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was finally bored enough to rewatch this match last night. We did better than I thought we had on my first viewing. Central defense was largely excellent. Edu was very composed. Bedoya was sharp. Bradley was all over the place in the second half. Our guys fought and fought through that second half and it was a much better looking effort than I had thought. Second half was excellent for our guys. Even before goal #2 for them we looked like a threatening side.

Certainly that wasn't jogo bonito (sp?) or anything, but I'm more encouraged than I had been.

Biggest problem I saw was how long it took for the midfield to arrive in support of the strikers when needed. Especially when Altidore had the ball, they were swarming him with several players and quicker supporting runs would have been dangerous.

Beasley took the game by the horns which was good to see.

Just some thoughts after a second viewing.

Edit: Oh, and Nigel DeJong is still a douchebag, and the game reaffirmed that while I'm sad there won't be any American commentators on TV for the World Cup, Harkes and JP aren't good enough. They sucked all the air out of the match well before the players did the same.

18. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree about the announcers, stop being politically correct and be a homer and announce with a little bit of passion like you actually love our country. Here is an idea. Watch the broadcasts of the EPL when they let a fan from each team announce the game and then do what they do. The fans usually have intimate knowledge of the team and aren't afraid of showing their passion

19. KZ Man

KZ Man Member

Jun 12, 2006
    NoVa
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also re-watched it recently, and agree with your assessment. Landon's off night really hurt our team's creativity. But we hung with a very good Dutch team, on their home pitch and almost snatched a late tie. There were positives, such as DMB's re-emergence, as well as good games by Demerit, Bedoya, Bradley, Edu, Altidore. The creativity problem should improve with Dempsey's return.

Since one of the main goals of the match was to audition strikers, the failure of Findley or EJ to make an impact is a problem. In addition, that left back is still a question mark at this point in the cycle concerns me. Really want to see Spector or Boca play out there.