Holiday hazards cloud July 4th

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Jul 4, 2005.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-06-30-holiday-hazards_x.htm

2. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Here's another way to look at it:

More Americans have been killied in boating accidents over the past three years (approx 2100) than have been killed in Iraq over the past three years.

More Americans have been injured in boating accidents (approx 8000) over the past two than have been wounded in Iraq over the past three years.

More Americans are injured by fireworks in any one year than have been wounded in Iraq in the past three years.

3. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut up, dick.

4. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are really meaningful statistics, given that there are as many Americans in Iraq as in America.

Aren't there?

5. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Good comparison. You're a bright one. :rolleyes:

Maybe if the boaters were American soldiers looking for WMDs that never existed or something. Stupid. Pointless. War.

6. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Theres 280million American people in Iraq arn't they? :rolleyes:

the percentage ratio of americans dying in Iraq is way way WAY higher than americans dying in boating accidents in america.

You really are a dumb.

7. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having been a patient in an ER on July 4th and having worked in one holidays including the 4th are some of the slowest days of the year. The day after a holiday the ER is always slammed. July 5th will be really busy but not the 4th.

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Here's another way to look at it: Have a SAFE July 4th! Try not to mess around with fireworks, especially if you're drinking (which most of us will be).

9. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because nothing ever seems that bad when you're drunk. It's when sobriety hits that you realize your injury is way beyond a flesh wound.

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why in the world are we comparing boating deaths to deaths in Iraq? This has to be one of the weakest analogies I've ever heard. Its strikingly similar to my gun nut buddy who says that more people die in car crashes than from guns. So, we ought to regulate autos before turing to guns. I know, its a stupid argument, but he gets all red-faced in a way that you know his mind is made up.

11. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Hey, no one will EVER be as dumb as you.

Look, all you lefty moonbat nutcases, the folks that are in Iraq are MILITARY. Being in the military is inherently DANGEROUS.

The military (and especially the Marines) fight.

If you think that NO ONE in our military should die, or get injured, then you are either (a) a pacifist who thinks we should abandon having a military or (b) really really naive about what the military is supposed to do.

In that case, you'd probably want to ban boats. Because boating, in nominal terms, has equally dangerous consequences.

In many respects, dying in a boating accident, percentages notwithstanding, is MORE senseless and stupid than dying to bring democracy and freedom to 25 million Iraqis. A guy who is drunk, falls overboard, and drowns, in the end, represents a degree of senselessness that can hardly be surpassed.

And THAT's the real difference.

But hey, you guys are too stupid to understand this, among so many other things.

12. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Never touch 'em, thank you very much.

13. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No dying to bring back oil and money back to the US government, if they really want peace and democracy, they'd go around to all countries around the world who are ruled by dicatators but no most of them don't have oil so theres no need too.

14. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who told you that even a minority of the left on this board think this way? I know you believe this to be true of the left around here, but where do you get your facts?

Stop confusing those who disagree with our involvement in Iraq with true pacifists.

15. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a guy who trumpets how smart you are, this is a ridiculous argument:

But, this I can go along with.

16. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upon second reading, I think I agree.

17. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is great. Can I use the same stat to also show that 9/11 wasn't really that big a deal as well? There are just about as many victims from terrorism as from boating accidents in the last 4 years.
    That is what is so great about the all-volunteer military. You can send them all to certain death in a hell hole for the most stupid reasons, and the blame always falls on them. Hey, they signed up, right?

18. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    If one could only rep a post twice...

19. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget about fireworks hazards; I'd like to mention a real danger on the 4th of July that is not being addressed that is a real hazard: I'm talking lack of brassiers on women around the Iwo Jima Memorial... a whole contingent of European girls were in town to watch the festivities and fireworks from the VA side of the Potomac and not one of them had or wore a bra; all they had were just tight t-shirts the whole day and during the evening, as the girls watched, the guys in the area we were sitting didn't see the fireworks show at all! :(

20. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[ITN]grumbles grumbles...damn closet door. Who locked this thing!? Hey! Can anyone hear me!?!? Let me out!!! I can't come out!! The door is locked from the outside! HELP ME!! grumbles grumbles[/ITN]

21. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is setting off explosives. This wasn't a political thread till you showed up. Ass.

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Which is why sending the military into harms way should be the most difficult and highly scrutinized . . .

. . . . oh hell, I'll just cut to the chase. On behalf of the military families who have loved ones who have been killed or maimed in Iraq, . . .

. . . you are anti-military, un-american and a big time @$$ wipe.

23. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Keller and others, sadly, are here, instead of there, telling us how inevitable it all is. Just like cars, which someone mentioned earlier, and their killing of a number of fellow citizens comparable to our losses in Vietnam, every single year (not including - NOT including - deaths of kids from getting caught in power windows, being left in cars, backed over by cars, etc.), are inevitable.

It's just the way things are. Armies die for sometimes stupid or unwieldy or unpopular reasons, and cars were the only possible transportation idea that could have ever evolved.

It's just the way things are. All of this - this is utterly natural. To say otherwise is to actually hate Nature, which lefty moonbats claim to value all the time.

:rolleyes:

Ideas - I mean nearly ALL the ideas - offered here by ITN/Keller/Smiley/McCracken and its beastly concomitants need to be murdered, in the main because they are so totally indifferent to life, at home and abroad. Excepting their own life and their own "way of life," whatever THAT means.

Or, you could just say that. :)

24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    nope. If you want to isolate the argument that dying in an accident is senseless, then fine, but to use drunken boating accidents to trivialize the deaths of US soldiers in a war that should have never been is not acceptable.

The key word that KK seems to have trouble with is "accident". Some service men and women have been involved in accidents in Iraq where a jeep tips over or a helicopter crashes without enemy fire. Do we distinguish these? Are there less of these than boating accidents Karl?

There is a reason why those 3,000 deaths on 9/11 take on a greater significance than traffic accidents or smoking deaths or falling off a ladder deaths -- even if those numbers are greater.

It's because that was no accident and neither is Iraq. It was a calculated war of choice, and should be evaluated on its merits and not trivialized to score political points.

25. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

OK, so how about sharing your favorite stories about any weekend Darwin award winners?

Any local news stories about people losing fingers or lives to a homemade pipebomb (IED?) or firework ?