Holiday Greetings from Rick B

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by HomeatHighbury, Dec 24, 2008.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    not sure if you're aware, or not, but the fact is that Xmas and Christmas mean the exact same thing - that is, the use of an 'X' is not a replacement for the word Christ, but is simply a representation of it.

in the old greek, 'Christ' was spelled ... hmmm, i don't have a greek keyboard ... ok, chi - rho - iota - sigma - tau - omicron - sigma ... essentially 'kristos'. the letter 'chi', of course, appears as our letter 'X', and was commonly used as a symbol for the word 'Christ'.

one of the symbols that you'll commonly see in orthodox iconography is that of an intercrossed X and P, which stands for kristos rex - Christ the King - (or is simply the first two letter of kristos, chi and rho - i've heard both explanations). but at any rate, Xmas is not, then, a 'Christless' name for the evolved holiday, but is, in fact, simply another spelling for the 'Christ Mass' festivities. just on the outside chance that anyone gives a damn.

i hope you (and everyone else here) had a good one, regardless.

just a little ecclesiastical fun fact for rick's thread. carry on.

2. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For us atheists:

"Happy formerly celebrated winter solstace everyone!"

Christmas used to be a pagan holiday originally celebrated by the Romans for the winter solstace, which they thought was on December 25th. Later it was adopted by the Church as Christmas.

Bit of a history lesson for us. :D

3. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I find it interesting that pagan's would celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ ;)

4. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were celebrating the Solstice, and then the Christians needed a date for Christmas, so they picked up the longstanding winter celebration of the solstice. :)

Jesus was likely born in or around May between 2-7 BC.

5. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i know that.

you said "Pagan's were celebrating Christmas..." when they clearly weren't. There were celebrating the winter solstice/Saturnalia/Sol Invictus/countless other "winter festivals"

Christians celebrate Christmas, commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ, it was just "conveniently" placed in December :)

I can see all the bigwigs in robes running around going, "we need more converts. we need to have a celebration as good as Saturnalia!"

6. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I love history majors.

7. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    me too :D

8. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I obviously didn't mean that Pagans were celebrating "Christmas"; I meant that pagans were celebrating during the holiday that would later come to be Christmas. It may haven been written as "Pagans were celebrating Christmas" but I would suggest it was a rather easy inference that that wasn't what I meant.

Anyway, not to turn this topic into a debate. :)

9. The Grim Returner

The Grim Returner New Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Edmonton
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Anguilla
    But that would mean he was born before his own birth! :)

10. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We say have a nice day. We just have to say it a lot more often.

Edit: Of course if you want to have something on the 25th of December, just to keep with the crowd, and like me you mostly believe in physics, you can celebrate Sir Isaac Newton's birthday. You have to use the Gregorian calendar, though.

11. canadagooner

canadagooner Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Depends on the sauce you serve them with:D

12. The Grim Returner

The Grim Returner New Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Edmonton
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Anguilla
    I love kids! You can't beat them!

(Apparently it's the law)

:D

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 25th was the Roman celebration of the birthday of Sol Invictus "the Unconquered Sun".