Holger Gone

Discussion in 'Australia' started by almango, Oct 11, 2013.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sacked after the loss this morning.

2. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There is an interesting quote in the article attributed toi the FFA

"FFA has set a strategic objective of having a highly competitive team in Brazil and then handing over a team capable of winning the Asian Cup on home soil in January 2015."

This must be a new objective as we haven't really seen too much evidence of this over the last few years. It seems that the objective has always been to qualify for the World Cup (as it was under our previous coach). We don't have many training camps and friendly matches left to make much of a splash in Brazil. We should probably be aiming at the Asian Cup in terms of development, using Brazil as an experience gathering tool along the way.

How will we go against Canada? Probably better. Throughout the World Cup qualifying campaign what happened was our experienced (older and slower) players were able to overcome younger faster opposition as that younger and faster opposition hadn't had the experience and skill level sufficient to defeat us consistantly. Once we played younger and faster oppsition who had the experience and skill, we were seriuosly exposed. It will be inmteresting to see how many players get the tap on the shoulder in the next short period. Will the FFA suggest to some players that they should retire from international football now, or just let the new manager drop them when he comes in. I don't think we are an attractive propostion as a World Cup team right now for a major coach. We may have to employ an Australian Coach for the next 18 months.

5. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    There are plenty of high quality mercenary coaches on offer before the World Cup Finals. Where's that French coach that you guys were considering last time is now? I really thought that he was the better choice on what he wanted to offer but Ok with the other choice by the FFA. Oh well, can't win them all . . . .

6. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO Australia needs to hire a foreign coach for the WC. I would go with a foreign coach who coached a better NT than Australia or all Asian National teams before. After the WC, It would be good to go with a local coach. I think when generations of players change, domestic coaches are useful.

7. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Graham Arnold is interested if FFA is:
    I don't see the point in getting one manager for the World Cup and one for the Asian Cup, which is all of one year later. I also don't see what a foreign manager is going to bring to the side. We've had two foreign managers with WC-centric job descriptions and that's part of why we're in this mess.

Either one of Ange Postecoglu or Graham Arnold would fit the bill for what we need (doubt Popovic will be asked or would accept it) and either would have a better idea of how to identify and develop the players we'll need for 2015 than any foreign coach.

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Its not even that long. Asian Cup starts in January 2015 so its only 15 months from now.

9. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a big victory for the Socceroos, bigger than their win over Iraq.

10. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    More or less. Couldn't have waited much longer to press the big red button.

Now, anything is possible :)

11. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Including a blowout defeat to Canada? :eek:

12. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Except that.

13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1170079/Socceroos-coach-Osieck-axed

14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    More names thrown up!

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1170117/Hiddink-may-make-Socceroos-wait

15. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Graham Arnold is a bad choice to coach the Socceroos, his last tenure was a disaster which included Australia crashing out of the Asian Cup, and then the embarrassing Olyroos display at the 2008 Olympic games. He apparently was too busy being a tourist to coach the team or even fly home with the team!

16. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm more worried about the future generations coming through like our U-19 team - who will contain the youth who need to break into the Socceroos for Russia 2018.

They just got hammered 1-5 by Vietnam :eek::eek:

I think that's an even more tragic loss than what has happened to the Senior Team.
    .... and Holger agrees : holger1.png

Attached Files:

17. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    el-capitano repped this.
  18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    How else are they going to claim their "we said it first" ;)

19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Latest:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1170225/Case-for-Postecoglou-gathers-steam

20. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Why is the FFA going so cheap on the Socceroo job, when we need a GREAT coach the most?

21. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We need the right coach, and we're not necessarily going to get that by offering big money and a long term deal.

I think there's a case for offering a five year deal because we need to rebuild long term. If this report is accurate it looks like FFA is more concerned about getting someone motivated to perform at the WC first and foremost.

22. Sardukar

Sardukar Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Sydney
    Arnold had no control over the squad selection for the 2007 cup, the FFA told him to take the established players and it just didn't work. He is also a much better couch now, CCM have been a great team for a while.

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Apparently its down to one of the 3 Aussies?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-...ant-australian-coach-only/5024840?section=nsw

24. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    What is lacking with most Aussie coaches, is the lack of coaching experience at top foreign leagues. If you ask me, you can place your own coaches in your A-League but there are limited places available. They need to get on the open market overseas and FFA need a strategy to promote their own coaching ranks and make a mark outside the A-League. Consider the Brazilian, English, German and Dutch coaches that are freelancing internationals and club teams. There needs to be a long term strategy to promote and leg up the coaches to the next stage. Even getting scouts and assistant coach position under top clubs would be another pathway to consider. In turn, someone will be top quality enough to come and manage the Socceroo team.

25. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Dunno how relevant that is to NT results, I seem to recall NZ giving a pretty good account of themselves in South Africa with an A-League coach.

Clearly toughest for WSW, then MVFC, then CCM. Pleased to hear a long term deal is being talked about.

Overall I'm sceptical that Ange can replicate his style at the NT level - he'll be working with a limited player base and will have much less time to get his game plan working. Arnold, whatever his past failings has shown he can get working with limited resources and expand from there.