Holden out for a quick recovery: Stu at Bolton [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by irish56, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about this one. I do see your point though. Being in those tournaments will let your kid be expose to other talents as well as being exposed to scouts to see him. Depending on what club he is currently at, you might have a strong argument. But I will say this, if I had a kid that had an inch of talent and was offered a homegrown contract from MLS team, i would strongly advice him not too. Seen too many young ones not given minutes, then being release all while wasting 2-3 years. We already had a few in Houston. I'll rather ship him to Mexico, elsewere to be part a youth team that will teach him something completely different. Just my opinion, nobody has to agree with me.

2. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    If a kid is already overseas with a decent club, he's getting exposure. A domestic kid has everything to gain by being called up at any age.

I'm not well versed enough on MLSDA hit rates right now. I think those numbers will probably get better as the DA's get better and competition is more robust. But you're probably right. Right now a kid might be better heading to Mexico or Scandanavia if they can.

Borrachin repped this.
  3. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Deep Wilcox, Chance, Real Corona and 3 others repped this.
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't quit your day job! ;)

Awesome news, BTW. Hopefully, fingers crossed, Stu gets a a few minutes.

Borrachin repped this.
  5. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    So all the "how quickly can he be called up for the USMNT posts got moved here to YA? I thought that was a one way street going the other way...

6. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    When has he ever been a "lock starter" for the US? He had a string of starts but it's hard to call him a lock starter when he only has 17 caps and a lot of those were sub appearances.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the usual story of the longer he is out, the better he used to be!!

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  8. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    I didn't it mean it that way, though I concede that it reads that way since I used the word "role". What I meant was that his pre-injury form made him a lock starter, not that he actually was a lock-starter in that he had started a high number of consecutive games. Hope that clarifies my meaning.

chalaron repped this.
  9. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    dcole, sXeWesley, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

11. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont see a link up on firstrow or anything.. Is this being broadcast at all? If so... a link would be great.

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I know right, I read that link and thought, "Remember when Andy Carroll didn't suck?"

Deeneaus repped this.
  13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Holden is not in the 18 today.

14. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Holden in the squad. I still blame the thread title.

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point taken. Let's leave the bad ju-ju behind and start a new Holden thread. Ready, set, go...

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
  17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Define offensive player.

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a ridiculous post which is the norm for you. Do you ever even offer anything to a conversation, or just go around type and 1-2 lines at a time spouting negativity at every turn, just to disagree?

What does it mean for a offensive player? Lol. Who said Stu was simply an offensive player. He's a two-way, box to box mid. He was the base of Bolton's defense through the middle, he and Cahill backing him up. The wings would funnel attacks towards him because of both his quickness and ability to break up attacks. That has nothing to do with being an offensive player or implying Bolton sucked at that time which it didn't. You think the other EPL leading tacklers are generally on the teams which suck? Lol.

His team sucks? It didn't when he was healthy. 7th when he went down.

The way you knock every accomplishment our players make, and jump from thread to thread doing it, makes it seems you're just a very unhappy individual who finds joy in bashing others. You just basically go from thread to thread and in so many different ways say, uh, not impressive. Cool shtick.

19. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    As others are saying, it means he wasn't an offensive player. It's a defensive midfielder stat. As usual for our player pool, he's not much of a creative force from midfield. Runner, dispossessor, so we lose nothing defensively, and we might get better with speed and precision of ball movement in midfield.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    if you don't like, use the ignore button

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how you handle opinions you don't agree with? Hide from them by using the ignore button? I have a stronger mind than that.

Observation and disagreement does not equate equate to not liking something.

Skevin repped this.
  22. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States