Holden out for a quick recovery: Stu at Bolton [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by irish56, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    great video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOztyCWBkd8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOztyCWBkd8[/ame]

2. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched that after seeing it on his twitter. It's amazing to see the story of everything he's been through, even though I already knew about all of it. He is so easy to root for, I hope we get to see him back at his best soon.

3. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolton sold Matt Taylor to West Ham and Burnley revealed on their site that they have agreed with Bolton on a 3m pound fee for Chris Eagles and Tyrone Mears. Eagles is a pretty good attacking mid/winger that would be an upgrade over Taylor. Mears is a decent RB, not sure if he's better than Steinsson/Ricketts, but maybe that will allow Ricketts to play CB.

The Bolton squad flew back to England last night

[​IMG]

4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Stu's leg really that skinny, is it an optical illusion, or is it just fun with photoshop?

5. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe an optical illusion? He said he's wearing compression tights for his knee. Here's a pic of him and Coyle playing head tennis in the airport terminal

http://lockerz.com/s/122721996

6. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Skysports saying that they are in talks for Reo-Coker. He'd be a big upgrade on Muamba, in fact they might be able to sell Muamba or another midfielder if they get Reo-Coker. If they can make all these signings and hold on to Cahill, they're looking a lot better depth-wise.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_7057957,00.html

7. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Muamba is a turnover machine. Worst passer on the team.

8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This is very good for Holden. As a villa fan I have seen Coker quite a bit and his play will benefit Holden a lot. Coker is the destroyer type and likes to defend much more than attack. This will allow Holden to become the playmaker of the two and allow Holden to join the attack more frequently because Coker rarely does. I would not be surprised to see Holden getting more goals and assists this season. I wonder if Coyle will play Holden as a #10 type player now that he has a solid CDM.

9. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Coyle and Moyes are phenomenal is getting quality for nothing and keeping their teams competitive and for my eyes, at least, playing largely attractive soccer to boot.

I just love the whining from Man U fans about how their team has been
    stolen by the Glazers, its incredible.....Coyle and Moyes would give up body parts to have the kind of transfer kitty and existing quality SAF has.
    And yet they soldier on....

As great a manager as Ferguson is, you wonder what the story would be if
    the roles were reversed.

This looks to be the typical shrewd Coyle move and great for Holden. If now he could only get Sturridge back and find someone in central defense.

I am concerned, however, that Bolton will be in a hole already by the time Stu is healthy. He'll have his work cut out for him.

10. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to be fair to him he had to work his way up to get where he is now. then he turned man united from a good team into a powerhouse.

11. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reo-Coker is a good signing for Bolton and they are loaded at CM at the moment. Holden, Reo-Coker, Muamba, Davies, and another new signing Pratley who by most accounts has been Bolton's best player this preseason.

When Holden is healthy he'll have to earn his starting place back, which I'm sure he'll be able to. But you have to wonder, when all these guys are healthy, who plays?

12. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Mike Bradley

2 people repped this.
  13. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over Holden? Doubtful.

14. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing Reo-Coker/Holden, but now they have some options in midfield and a lack of strikers, they could play 5 in midfield. Perhaps NRC/Holden with Davies or Pratley in front of them. The other thing is that they won't feel as compelled to rush Stu back into the lineup if he picks up an injury, which can only be good.

I'm not really worried about Stu returning and finding himself on the bench for an extended period of time. Their early schedule is pretty ridiculous and I doubt they'll be getting off to a good start. It will probably just reinforce his reigning player of the season status.

15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Stu will be fit enough for "combat" in October. I suspect it is going to take some time after that for him to regain his form. If he looks like the pre-injury Stu by the second half of the season, I think that would be doing very well. Probably what Coyle is also thinking so beefing up CM depth - something they didn't have much of anyway.

16. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with Chris, they should be good enough to tread water without Stu and when, (not if dear god), he returns to pre injury form, make a legit run at the upper half of the table.

17. jukeboxromeo

jukeboxromeo Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    I think it'll be around Christmas when we see the best of Stu again.

18. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Bolton is unlucky. Lee Chung Yong might have just broken his leg. That's their last two players of the year with long term injuries at the same time.

19. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Arggggggggggggggggggggh. Coyle is so freakin' unlucky.

He has no money and a thin squad. Everytime he rounds the corner on building the squad, this happen. This is particularly devastating because
    Holden and Lee are absolute keys to the squad. Bolton plays so much better
    (and different) with those 2 in the squad.

Bolton will be much more predictable and worse ball possession without these 2. Much more route 1.

Bolton is going to get off to a bad start until Stu gets there. I just
    hope its not too bad a start. Even when Stu gets there, Lee plays such a crucial role in breaking down defense via 1v1, keeping ball posession/advancing the ball, and playing harrassing defense.

Going to be a tough season, I'm afraid and I think they will be a 2nd half team (a la Everton) and hopefully it will be enough to get them to upper/mid table.

20. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Oh, Bolton.

21. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Wow, that's terrible. They've now lost Lee & Holden to injuries, Elmander left on a Bosman, and Sturridge returned to Chelsea.

Things are looking mighty bleak for Bolton. Maybe Arsenal/ManU/Chelsea/Pool/City will take pity and each loan one youngster for the season?

22. jukeboxromeo

jukeboxromeo Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Stu just tweeted that he's back in training for the first time today.

23. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news.

24. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @stuholden

"Lol let me clarify on the Training part... Not in full training, just doing work on the grass, another step forward! Calm down calm down :)"

Well, it's not full training, but it's certainly better than nothing.