Hoffman released

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by phats_away, Aug 11, 2002.

1. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hoofman released

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Breakers Release Head Coach Jay Hoffman

BOSTON, MA (August 11, 2002) -Boston Breakers President and General Manager
    Joe Cummings announced today that Jay Hoffman has been relieved of his
    coaching duties.

Hoffman was appointed the first-ever head coach of the team on October 24,
    2000. During his two-year tenure, he guided the team to a 14-18-10 record
    and failed to reach the playoffs. Boston wrapped up the 2002 season
    yesterday with a 1-0 victory over San Jose. The Breakers finished the season
    with a 6-8-7 record and their second straight season in 6th place.

"I have tremendous respect for Jay both as a coach and a person, so this was
    a very difficult decision for me," said Breakers President and General
    Manager Joe Cummings. "Jay was extremely dedicated to the organization and
    to the success of the Breakers and the WUSA. However, at this level results
    are paramount. Unfortunately, our record warrants a change."

[edited: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER post a phone number that is given for the press on a public forum !!!]

2. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Swift in timing sense move..

No news on a new coach, I suppose.. and I wonder what players are on the verge of being in a Breakers uniform next season.

The defense played their hearts out last night..Aldama was certainly impressive..and Dacey seemed to do far better- until she was squashed by Karina (I believe)..ouch...... Oh, and McCann..did she have her game of the season or what? Those headers shot off like rockets in all of the right places. :) Thanks Heather and Crissy :)

3. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm glad they did it right away.Too many important decisions went the wrong way.
    As for the defense I cant agree with PoetSong on McCann and especially on Aldamo.While the played well yesterday it was against a crestfallen CRay team.Both players were responsible for key losses during the season Crissie for being caught out of position too often and Heather for being beaten regularly on 50-50s.Of the 2,I feel McCann showed some improvement during the season with her positioning but the starting roll in central defense against the forwards that this league throws at you is a bit over her head.Aldamo is at best a bench player.They're both wonderful people and hard workers but this is a league that has become very dificult in it's second year and we need a much stronger back line.
    As for the rest:
    Dagny-Great season though she seemed to tail off at the last quarter of the season.
    Maren- Do whatever is needed to make sure she doesn't retire back to the fatherland.Someone get her husband a job over here.And someone should send a note to whoever runs the refs in this league that she was repeatedly hacked with no call being made.
    Lil- After a poor 1st season and a slow 2nd season she caught fire and became the great player we knew she was.Probably Hoffie's biggest failure was that he didn't help her out of her funk until it was too late.
    Bettina- As time progressed she seemed to shy away from her ability as a shooter but she is so good on the ball at midfield she must return.
    Angela Hucles-A key player in the Breakers future.Great 50-50 skills,great field awareness and a nifty shot when she goes forward.
    Jena Kluegel-Put her at rightside midfield where she belongs and just enjoy.
    Kate Sobrero-Hope she stays healthy.A great defender.
    Allie Kemp-A casualty of Hoffmans inability to see the obvious.Should have gotten much more playing time.Made things happen as soon as she entered the match.
    Ragnhild-She may have potential but with who we have in place she's a luxury we cant afford with a foriegn spot.If we could get a top shelf defender in trade for her I'd do it in a minute.If there is a first class def in Europe the release Rags and go for them.
    Alexa B.- Strong physical presense but has a very clumsy first touch and that hurt her badly when she was on the pitch.Had no buisness going in before Kemp.

Karina vs Tracy-Karina

Kristen Slater-Never was quite able to handle the T-shirt slingshot the way LeBlanc did.But at least she was big enough not to blame it on the 2 holders.

We often had a brilliant offense but the unaddressed defensive horrors just overwhelmed us often causing Lilly to have to go deep into the back third.Let's hope the next coach can do more with the talent and can motivate stronger play on the road.And there should be a hard and fast rule prohibiting coaches from sitting on the backrest of the bench for the entire game.It would be one thing if Preparation H was a league sponsor but they're not and I was sore just looking at him.

4. socref9

socref9 New Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Massachusetts
    I'll be honest.

This move isn't exactly a shocker.

However, I think Hoffman did a good job of developing the players he had on board. While he may have failed in other respects, players like Angela Hucles developed under his care.

Did he deserve to return? Probably not.

Let the speculation begin.

5. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Dave,

I agree with you for the entirely most part (I leave some room for lack of remembering things now) on McCann and Aldama. Re: last night- I wasn't comparing them to anything- beyond how they normally played all season. In that regards they appeared to be better. At least Aldama was getting some of the 50-50 balls instead of it being oh, 5-95 on a 50-50 ball.

Maren- absolutely agree with you. I honestly felt that she should have walked away with the Attacker of the Year award; however, few others are as deserving as she is for the MVP, and I'm glad they honored her.

Also- yes, notes will be going out to the refs on the lack of fouls called. They also seem to ignore the ones on Bettina- why, I do not know. Do you recall Maren's being sandwiched and no call last night? Such a classic.. :(

Rags- well, was it a case of injury or coaching? She's easily one of the best attackers in the world, and it's a true shame that we didn't get to see more of her brilliant abilities- minus the last 10 minutes of a game or warming up with Director of Soccer Dana Schoenwetter.

Yohe- I'm still high on her praises- if the right coach can help her to transition, I think that the talent will unleash itself and she's going to be brilliant- maybe better as a 2nd half sub.

Dagny- I'd like her confidence or "striker presence" .. star quality to emerge more, if at all possible. Granted, she's 24; however, she can be a big time star if it all goes well- meaning ability wise. It's only time..

So I question this.. any answers are welcome..

1. When are the roster reduction dates?
    2. How many protected players- and are all reserves to be waived like last season?
    3. Will we have a head coach in place before or by the 14 September game?
    4. Who do you see not being on the Breakers squad next season?

6. clearblue

clearblue New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    you heard it here first !

The next Breaker coach will be Jape Shattuck.

It's been in the works for weeks.

Trust me.

7. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    How about some support for the info. Who is the person, where did you get the info, and who are you?

8. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: you heard it here first !

I have chills going up and down my spine thinking of Shattuck as the Breakers coach.

I still have vivid memories of walking out of the D-license coaching course headed by Shattuck (many moons ago). My only thought was "give me a team!" The man is a good analyzer and great motivator. I have seen him in other venues at coaching clinics and on the field as a coach (with me as the referee). He has hooks into the collegiate and national soccer programs. This would be a nice choice.

What has Jape been doing lately? Still with Harvard's JV women?

By the by, the organizer of the D-license course that I took (again, many moons ago) was a fellow named Joe Cummings. :)

9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the internet, everyone's a god.

... or is that a dog? ;)

Seriously, none need give their bona fides if they wish to remain anonymous. The speculation games are available for all to play. :)

10. socref9

socref9 New Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Massachusetts
    Forgive me but...

Who is Jape Shattuck?

From my searches, I've gleaned that he's a former MYSA Head of Coaching/Head Staff Coach and former Men's Head Coach. He's also done some stuff with tactics, notably a series of 5 videos.

Would anyone care to expand?

More than that, what makes this guy a good choice to coach one in WUSA?

11. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Breakers decide not to renew head coach contract

Another rumoured name is Pia Sundhage, assistant coach with the Philly CheeseSteaks. Pia was a joy to speak with in coaching clinics here in Mass. a few years ago.

A point to remember, San Diego is looking for a new coach, too. And I'd expect New York to replace Ducilli. There will be competition for the hiring of new coaches.

12. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kyle, check the author pages for most of the advanced coaching manuals used by US Soccer and the NSCAA. :)

Jape has been working with Tim Wheaton and the Harvard women's soccer program lately. http://www.not-rocket-science.com/harvardsoccer/shattuck.htm

The "Individual" and "Team" tactics and techniques video series distilled analysis of World Cup tourny play into reasonable concepts for coaching youth and advanced soccer players and teams.

Oh, yeah. Jape was also the guy running some of the Breakers' Coaching Corner this season.

13. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and south of Boston, too.

Breakers search for a new coach

18. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    So what is in Hoffman's future? College gig? Back in the national program somehow? Coaching (head or assistant) in the league?

19. Zeke

Zeke New Member

May 13, 2001
    I think the players' reactions say it all... no surprise

Thanks for the articles. From the Ledger:
    Interesting that Cummings seems to feel the problem with Hoffman is exactly what some folks here (not me) were claiming last year. I have no idea if Hoffman was "too nice" but I agree with Cummings regarding Hoffman's player selections. Guldbransen, Kleugal, Gonzalez, etc... are good players but at the end of the day you're left with a benched forward, and 2 new defenders playing out of position, not exactly the moves of someone completely intent on getting those balls out of our net.

Glad they made the move, too bad he couldn't make it work, there were some lovely moments of play this year.

20. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: you heard it here first !

Well what's your excuse now? :D

21. bison

bison New Member

Nov 29, 2000
    New England
    Re: Re: you heard it here first !

Yeah!

Where did you get that (incorrect) information?