Hoffenheim vs Borussia Dortmund; Bundesliga Matchday 4

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by eaglespark, Oct 17, 2020.

1. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    We go away to Hoffenheim and we have a defensive crisis. Akanji is self isolating whilst Zagadou is still injured. I think we need to return to the back four.

Let's be bold and take the game to Hoffenheim. It can't get worse than the final game of last year. I would like to see this team.

----Burki--
    Meunier--Can--Hummels--Raphael
    --‐-----------Delaney---
    ------Brandt----------Dahoud
    Sancho-------Haaland----Reus

Sadly I think there's no chance Favre does it.

2. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're right, he hasn't.

The bench looks strong with Haaland, Reus, Raphael and Bellingham all there.

3. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    nothing bad and nothing good so far to speak of other than the injury

4. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have to say I like Hitz more than Bürki.

5. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Dahoud has been the best player on the pitch.

Sadly LP has gone off injured.

6. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dahoud imo had been Dortmund's best player after the corona restart, too. I didn't understand why Favre benched him.

7. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Favre makes a lot of stupid decisions.

We have two many midfielders playing and no striker. We need more balance. We should bring on Reus and Haaland soon.

8. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Not many scoring chances for us. Delaney having to help out in defense doesn't look good so far and it might cost us.
    We have the usual problem of keeping control of the ball. Although Hoffenheim is a decent team, we cannot be happy with what we saw but that can be said about the whole season. I hope this is just the consequence of national team duty and the team not being on the same page at this stage.

9. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Why has he not taken off Reyna and Witsel for Haaland and Reus? We need to win this match now.

10. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Instead he took off Sancho and Brandt after playing both of them out of position. Favre's favouritism is shocking.

11. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm really not his biggest fan but Emre Can has been massive in this game.

12. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Unbelievable he took off Dahoud and left Witsel on. We need to win this match. Favre has no clue about managing a top club.
    I think Can has been very good since he has arrived. I would like for him to play the 6.

13. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Reus scores.

14. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Yep. Where would we be without Reus.

15. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    We can't win the league playing like that with that style. We were too passive and the subs were ridiculous.

How did Reyna and Witsel stay on for the whole match?
    Delaney did well at CB. Can was very good too and Dahoud had a greast game.

It's infuriating to see Favre waste this talented team. Sancho and Brandt playing out of position and then being taken off.

Meunier is not a wing back and we need to switch to a back 4.

Can can move and play defensive midfield as a 6. Brandt and Dahoud either side. Sancho and Reus on the wings.

16. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Tough 1:0 win in the end. We looked better in the second half I think, especially with Haaland, Reus and Guerreiro. For a short phase, it finally looked like football and we could have had a decisive win instead of having to worry till the last second. It's hard to put into words what we see on TV but I think there's an agreement here that the team doesn't look comfortable with the chosen formation. The players play according to their abilities but something is missing.

At the very least, it's obvious there are enough options for rotation in offense while we desperately need players back for our defense. Considering the circumstances, Delaney did a decent job though.

17. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Reus, Haaland and Rapahel are world class players. They are genuinely some of the of the best players in the world for their position. Any team looks better with them.

They were also actually playing in their position instead of playing players out of position. I feel for Sancho and Brandt.

It seems senior players are losing faith in Favre. I feel he is picking the teenagers like Reyna, Bellingham and Passlack because senior players are disagreeing with his tactics.

Getting rid of Favre is by far the most important thing for the season.

18. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Im very concerned for this team. This is not a Euro group winning CL team. This is a team in disarray.

Offensively we have been in spells then bad in large stretches. We looked best when pressing the other team and we are athletic enough to do it.

Favre has a bigger P.... than wife does. The man coaches scared and I hate him for it.

Having said that, we got the win coming back from the break which is not always easy with tired legs and travel. Seems everyone on our roster played this stretch except for only a few players.

eaglespark repped this.
  19. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    The board showed their intent by keeping Sancho now they need to get rid of Favre. This is a quality team and we should be playing a 4-3-3.

20. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    For this game, international duty is an excuse regarding the selection. There is simply no alternative to starting Guerreiro, for example. But generally, it looks we are rather getting worse with each season under Favre. But when you look at the players that were added and the young players developing, you wonder how that can be possible. It seems you'd need to work hard to make this team play worse football.

TimBenneth repped this.
  21. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Playing Sancho out of position for no reason? Keeping Reyna, Passlack and Witsel on? The poor performance. The overly cautious and cowardly tactics. It's time to be bold and fire him.

22. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    Poor by Favre ... Meunier should never have been purchased, Passlack while energetic is just not good enough, Morey should b given an opportunity. Even if he is not up to speed, he has youth on his side, and can only grow into the role. PhilliP Max was the left back reserve that Dortmund needed, he got traded to PSv for 8 mil Euros this past offseason ... at the very least, it would have allowed Guerrero/Max to be pushed to a winger position instead of having Brandt play there; it is not a strong suit of his.
    Y doesn't he switch to a 4-3-3, what is he scared of ?? Clearly management and the senior players are working at cross purposes, so y not just let Favre go ... it is like he is handicapped, and in a bind. Naggelsman was the coach this team needed ... where is alleghri, pochetino, marsch, a left field in that Atlanta coach would b quite something.

eaglespark repped this.
  23. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I think Passlack is worth keeping around as 3rd choice for left back and right back, but he is not really that good. I am stunned to see people say he played well today when he was rally poor.

I have to agree with everything else you say. All our senior players and top players seem to be against him. Sack him now and look for the replacement.

TimBenneth repped this.
  24. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I'm not a big fan of Favre, but I don't think we have the personnel to play 4 in the back. Hummels is great when he has 2 CBs around him to do the sprinting, but he is not fast himself. If Akanji recovers his form from 2 years ago and Zagadou is fit then maybe.

Dahoud always energizes the team. He makes some mistakes, but I'll take them considering what he produces. He needs to start, and his sub should be Bellingham, and not Delaney. I think his pairing with Witsel brings a good balance to the midfield. If Can didn't have to play CB I'd definitely try a Dahoud-Can pairing. Another reason I feel we needed an extra CB. But it looks like this was the board's plan from the start for Can, to get 2 players in 1, because he can also play CB.

25. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    It was nice to see Dahoud finally being given an opportunity, I think he deserves it. If u want to play Hummels in a back 4, just push that defensive line a little further back, and have Can-Witsel (Dahoud-Delaney-Bellingham) as a double pivot patroling the area before them ... it will alow Brandt-Reyna to play CAM. Delaney did well today, for all the slack he has recieved. I likE Favre, he got the team selec and subs right today for the most part, but ... it just seems like there is a lack of impetus. I hope Favre proves us all wrong

astrophyz repped this.