Hit the Showers, Ladies

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NYC, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    No more WUSA. Belly up to the unemployment line, Julie.

And just to keep this Metro related, I'm watching the United/Charlton match from this weekend, and we now have two former Metros on the field in a Premiership game in Howard and Shaun Bartlett. Discuss.

2. Unfortunately, I've read a few internet blogs where people can't wait for the same fate to befall MLS and the game in general here. Mostly xenophobic pointy ball types, but there is some schadenfreude going on. I just hope our league survives. It's actually becoming something -- three more years should cement it.

As for ManU/Charlton -- I want Timmy with a shut out (he's on my fantasy team if nothing else).

3. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I love watching the USWNT, but the WUSA games were just "unwatchable". In MLS, the quality of play improved each year, where the level of play with the ladies may have actually gotten worse.

The irony behind this is with all the fuss the women's rights activists made, they sealed their own feat by not coming out to the games.

4. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Good. Now they can go back to the kitchen where they belong. WHERE'S MY DINNER WOMAN?!

5. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    Maybe they should have made them wear skimpy skirts like in A League Of Their Own.... that seemed to work for women's baseball.

6. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I know it has been said before but what terrible timing this was. Days before the WC was to start. Players all have to be bummed out now. Now they have to forget about one of the greatest disappointments in their lives and play with intensity and win the thing. Not an easy task for them.

It reminds me of a worker getting the pink slip just before Christmas. That my soccer friends is a hard thing for someone to deal with.

League should have waited to WC was over. Interst would have went up. Possibly more sponsers would have come forward. Foregn sponsers would have been nice. People who actually love the game, but it did not happen.

I would like to see these women win this WC. I think their coach is nothing special but the new players are special. More depth on this WC team then on any other. Now if they can get past this disappointment and just play they will do ok.

I think the mental strain of this will hurt their effort to win it all.

Women by in large are better people then we are. So i want to see them do good in this WC.

Richie

7. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    The timing does suck, but in this post Enron business climate the board can't mess around.
    If the league is broke they have to shut down operations, its not worth going to jail.

8. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Attention Lorrie Fair: if you need someone to come over and soap-up your back, let me know.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost New Member

Aug 3, 1999
    joisy
    Pictures, please

10. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    There's no Enron connection here -- the WUSA is not a public company. When the "board" decides to shut down, it's actually the investors (John Hendricks) deciding to shut down.

11. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    And the investors are?

Oh... publicly-held companies accountable to shareholders for profits.

12. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    What publicly held company invested in WUSA???

13. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    How about Johnson & Johnson?

14. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    That's a ridiculous argument. You could make the same argument for MLS folding: "well, the soccer fans didn't come out and support the league". Fact is, WUSA was always on much shakier financial ground than MLS, with much less margin for error and much less ability to withstand significant losses (as MLS continues to do to this day). Not that MLS is in great shape, with all of our eggs in Uncle Phil's basket and no profit, but at least the guy is one of the richest individuals in the country.

Works for women's volleyball, too. Or the australian women's basketball team. Yeah let's just get Maxim to sponsor the "new" WUSA... ;)

15. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. This is nothing to celebrate. It's an American soccer league that failed. Schadenfreude has a tendency to come back and bite people on the ass, and it's not like MLS is swimming in money itself.

2. This has nothing to do with Metro, and it's being discussed at length in the WUSA and Business & Media forums.

16. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Uh TimeWarner, Cox Communications, Comcast...

17. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    [Insert Male-chauvinist joke here]

18. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Hit the Showers, Ladies

Hmm, I'd rather have the webcam.

19. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    For me when Michelle Akers left, the whole thing collapsed. She was a real warrior and a killer competitive athelte!

WUSNT 99 was a lot of fun to watch.
    Timing sucks. Wish them the best.

- Oh and to make it Metro related -
    Now where is Kenny Arena supposed to play when Metro drops him?

20. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Re: Re: Re: Hit the Showers, Ladies

Snapshot from the Carolina Courage webcam.

[​IMG]

21. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    I think they would meet their viewership goals if they did that... ;) . If WUSA does come back they should structure it like that...

22. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
  23. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

Lorrie Fair: hottest chick in soccer. period.

24. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Truly a loss.
    [​IMG]
    Any of those women want to join the ESC?

25. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What the hell are you talking about? Women are better than us by and large? How much crap do you have to say and do to get laid? You know, you can still be a proud man and get women...you should try it some time. Let's get over this sucking up and start living in the real world - women lie, cheat and steal just like the men do. The bottom line - there are good PEOPLE and there are bad PEOPLE. Check your nuts.