Historical ranking of Arjen Robben

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by carlito86, Sep 21, 2018.

?

Is Arjen Robben a all time great

This poll will close on Sep 21, 2028 at 5:02 PM.
  1. he is a top 3 Dutch player of all time

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. He is one of the greatest wingers of all time

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. He had the highest peak this era after messi Ronaldo

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1 carlito86, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Arjen Robben just happens to be my 3rd personal favourite player of the past 10 years
    He is a player who I truly believe had he remained injury free during large portions of his career would’ve legimately challenged messi Ronaldo during some of their peak years(2013,2014 and arguably 2015)

In his best year 2014 he was ranked the 3rd best outfield player in the world a distinction only xavi,Iniesta ,ribery,Neymar have held in the Leo/cr7 era
    His trophy cabinet befits his talent(10 league titles and a solitary champions league in which he was one of the best players and scored the winner)

The crowning moment of his career would have to be the 2014 World Cup in which he was unanimously considered a top 3 performer and quite arguably the best

Robben is quite simply one of the greatest European dribblers of all time,arguably the best winger of his era (cr7 has been predominantly a wf in his prime except 2006/07 which is the best season by a orthodox winger in the 21st century imho)
    Also he has proven to be a prolific scorer for his position (certainly when compared to ribery,di Maria only bale is comparable)especially in big matches (champions league qf,sf and final)also an adept passer his only weakness is his over reliance on his left foot but then he is almost impossible to disposses on his left foot

How does a player with the above achievements not qualify for top 50 all time status or even according to some he’s not even top 100

(his opta ratings for this season 14/15 were one of the highest by any player not named ronaldo/messi/Neymar)
    @PuckVanHeel besides Cruyff and Marco Van Basten which dutch players would you say were unequivocally better then Arjen Robben in his prime (2012-2015)

PuckVanHeel and Blueallthru repped this.
  2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #2 PuckVanHeel, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018

I'm not sure whether I agree with your entire post but most of the tangible things you mention are correct. He has 11 league titles though, not 10.

To his prime also belongs ~2005 and ~2010 imho. Here is my take (also something about his left foot reliance; mostly correct, but he has also some 'big' goals with his right, such as for example against Barcelona).

I think what you say is a defensible idea. There has been some discussion about his placement and his peak form. If some were better at their peaks than you are looking at (wide definition) the peak of Gullit, Van Hanegem, Bergkamp, Sneijder, Rijkaard, Koeman, Overmars, Rensenbrink or even Van Persie.

His peak WhoScored rating was indeed very high and only really bettered by peak Messi/Ronaldo (Ronaldo does that only somewhat marginally though: 8.54 vs 8.45). 'Voetbal International' upgraded him to #3 all-time of his country, which isn't a widely shared opinion.

I'd certainly place him above Giggs and also Ribery (but tentatively not above Figo). When both were playing at the same club, and were thus directly compared, Ribery got three world class designations by kicker, Robben got eight (same number as KHR had in his entire career). Robben had consistently the greater impact in CL KO stages (2010, 2012, 2013 etc.). He just needed to be fit and recover. He has missed too many CL semi finals (2005, 2007, 2015, 2016, 2018), and how important that was is kind of shown by the semis that he could play.

ko242 repped this.
  3. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I personally rate him very highly. If it wasn't for the fact that two all-timers are playing in the same position, he'd be no.1 in the world in his position for many years of his career.

I agree that he's above Giggs and Ribery. I'm not sure how much 'greatness' he can have considering how much football he missed due to injury. Hard to put him no.3 of Netherlands for this reason, imo. But in terms of 'best' he really is right up there.

ko242 repped this.
  4. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think that Arjen Robben along with Luis Suarez, is one of the few players who in his prime reached a level high enough to realistically challenge either of Messi or Ronaldo. (I think that Zlatan Ibrahimovic also had the talent to do that at certain spells of his career, but he played much of his career in a declining Italian league, so I would put prime Ibra below prime Robben and prime Suarez.)

I like Figo in his prime more than Robben in his prime, but Robben - even with all his injuries - arguably maintained his prime form for longer. Already in 2010 there were spells where Robben seemed to be hitting the same heights as in 2012 or 2013 or 2014 or 2015, etc. To be fair though, maybe that is largely the result of modern medicine and conditioning, more than it is an actual merit of Robben versus Figo, but it is a factor to consider in any case. In contrast, Figo's best years are 1999/00, 2000/01, 2002/03, and 1998/99, probably in that order.

Robben's career with Holland was definitely better than Figo's career with Portugal, in my esteem. For example, I think that Robben at World Cup 2010 was probably better in the KO stage, than he was at World Cup 2014 in the KO stage. Figo had his moments with Portugal, but he never truly replicated his Barcelona form... actually, as much as I enjoy watching Figo and as underrated as I think he is at his very best (note: not the most underrated player I have watched by any means, but still underrated), I think his career with Portugal is overrated. Overall, there is a good argument to be made that Robben just about edges Figo on the strength of his superiority at the World Cup. (Figo was probably better at the Euro, but again, Figo was not exactly a devastating player at the Euro.)

On a different note, I haven't watched enough of Ryan Giggs, but what an impressive player he was at the Champions League in 2000/01 and again in 2001/02. Probably the most consistently impressive Champions League player I have watched in the pre-2006 era.

ko242 and carlito86 repped this.
  5. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Completely agree then how do we explain the disparity between how the two players are ranked historically(bringing it back to robbens all time ranking)

If we are ranking prime only then Robben was like I said in his best year the 3rd best outfield player in the world (competing against a prime Cristiano and messi)
    2014 was a highly competitive year (this was arguably one of the best calendar year performances of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and di María)

Is the World Cup really the only category were Robben has an edge.
    Robben has multiple bundesliga best player awards
    Personally I don’t believe Figo was as elite as he is painted to be
    If we are in agreement Robben arguably had the 3rd best peak level of his era how about Figo ?
    Rivaldo 99
    Ronaldo 97
    Zidane 98 and 00
    Del piero 98
    Henry 03
    All rank above and I won’t even include Ronaldinho’s prime years because Figo was imo clearly past it post 2003(as was Raul)

Robben deserves more recognition for achieving what he has despite his several injuries and overcoming setbacks(missing crucial chances in the 2010 wc final) that would’ve arguably consumed others.coming back like he did in the 12/13 ko stages etc
    Robben was also more clutch and by my estimation more reliable in big ko matches
    Just how many notable performances did Luis Figo have in WC/euro/CL semi finals and finals?

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I'd say (as I did before) Giggs was arguably the most consistent dribbler of his era. That is: the Giggs of around 1994 and the Giggs between 1999 and 2002.

Maybe, but it is not unthinkable Figo his WhoScored rating - with his dribblings, assists and through balls - would actually end up higher than the one of the static and quite lazy Rivaldo. Figo his GoalImpact rating is markedly higher as the one of team mate Rivaldo, signalling he was a more crucial piece in the building.

In this era we have Salah who was maybe better as Suarez in 2013-14. Salah was possibly/arguably better against the top teams in the league and of course made an impact in Europe.

What you say here is not unreasonable (and a major reason why I'd place Ribery and Giggs not at that level) but I think Figo was a wonderfully smooth and elegant footballer (Barcelona bought him quite cheap though: for 1.5m euro in 1995, when Figo was already 23 years old). Perhaps the best playmaking winger of the color television era (I can see the idea Robben at his peak had that aspect too). He is in the conversation.

With respect to the Champions League: Figo was outstanding in 1999-00. He had 5 goals and 8 assists (none of them penalties; he started to take them for Real Madrid). While they had a disappointing league season, he was a big piece behind reaching the semi finals (although FCB also reached semis in 2001, 2002, quarter in 2003 without Figo). It is arguable Figo never approached that CL peak again, but it is a peak that many legendary figures never reached at continental level.

Figo was a bit unfortunate at national team level. In 1996 he could have done better, for 1998 not qualified (thanks to scandalous refereeing), in 2002 the whole Portugal team was bad and Figo was coming off an injury. Then in 2004 he was past his best (young Robben was better) but had a good game against Netherlands in the semis. In 2006 his age was also visible.

His two best chances to impress at the World Cup was 1998 (aged 25) and 2002 (aged 29), but he was simply unfortunate.

His pinnacle was euro 2000 where he was one of the five best players of the tournament. He helped to eliminate England and Germany. That were clearly not vintage England and Germany teams, but we have seen many times technically poor German teams (with balls bouncing left and right) advancing far so it should not be dismissed too easily either. In the semis Figo ran into the best ever version of Zidane, and a contentious penalty that ended the match.

Just to clarify myself a bit.

leadleader repped this.
  7. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    i believe robben is a better player than figo, bergkamp... clearly best dutch player in the last 20 years.

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #8 PuckVanHeel, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    I think Cruijff and Van Basten are out of reach. It is (again) telling how fondly Figo (in the first video, but also elsewhere) speaks about Cruijff, and the meaning for his career.

Van Basten was/is highly rated by his peers. The France Football poll among former Ballon d'Or winners placed him 8th all-time; the 2004 'Champions Magazine' poll among many managers and players (one of the best ever done of that sort imho) placed him as 6th best European player ever (this excluded Pelé/Maradona obviously, but included Di Stefano). He was the 2nd foreigner to be inducted in the Italian football hall of fame.

That might be too high, but it is a different stratosphere as Robben. The legacy is also there; he is kind of the 'model' for many later strikers, which has greatly influenced coaches (for example Capello instructing Ibrahimovic) and without the career ending injury he might have had four or five Ballon d'Ors (that is not at all a fantasy statement), and there is enough to argue his influence on Milan (their scoring dropped immediately). That said, modern and pre-modern scoring exploits and that the focus has shifted away from Serie A creates a certain vulnerability.

Then there are also very sound arguments for Gullit, Bergkamp and Rensenbrink I'd say (without considering defensive players). All of those are sometimes even put #2. Johnny Giles and Jimmy Greaves place Bergkamp #2 of his country.

(note: Bergkamp was 32-37 years old then, and unlike the other names in the 2nd tweet he took very few set pieces - with many assists coming through the middle as well)

[​IMG]

I've said a few things about Figo above and also think Bergkamp is potentially underappreciated here. Robben is occasionally mentioned as the best foreigner to have played in the Bundesliga, Bergkamp is sometimes mentioned as such for English football (for example Alan Hansen said this in 2009). Wenger admitted in 2005 "replacements are non-existent in the market". He remained a productive player, and kept on doing well in the indices, as well as some outstanding CL matches. In that time the fouls per game in the EPL was much higher (30-40%) as today.

He's one of the quintessential 1990s players, one of the few to be world class in both halves of the decade (possibly because so much was changing). Technically he was a wonderful player (long pass here, another one, assist here), and with 300+ career goals (with very few penalties) and a huge number of assists he also belonged among the most productive players of his generation for sure (he had 8 seasons with 10+ league assists in three different countries). He was much more a team player and assister than Roberto Baggio for instance. Bergkamp has as many/more pre-assists as assists, giving him a pretty unique statistical profile.

He became almost the only player to win the UEFA Cup with three different teams (in all of them as arguably the main piece), in three different countries, but Vieira missed his penalty. In Europe Arsenal did vastly better in home and away games when he played*). See this as confirmation (click picture to enlarge for full names).
    With regards to national team, he scored 10 goals in major tournaments (0 penalties). That is more than anyone else of his country, and has 9 OPTA assists as well. In these tournaments he scored and assisted against teams as Germany, England, Brazil, Argentina, France. At euro 2000, without scoring a goal, he still ranked very well in the OPTA index.

Personally I rate him quite high and so do his team-mates (Pires, Vieira, Campbell, Henry who has said that "emotionally and rationally he feels as the best I played with"). Michael Cox, who rates Robben very high as well (#3 or #4 of his era behind Messi/Ronaldo), wrote this: "I think Bergkamp was an incredibly influential player and magnificent the seasons Arsenal won the league. Also think he tended to drift through a lot of games without really doing much and is more inconsistent than remembered. But a great highlight real."

Long story short: I would not rate him a level below Robben. When it comes to symbolic value and the meaning he had, he might even win it. I think (said this before) they are comparable.

https://www.football365.com/news/wengers-ten-premier-league-favourites-at-arsenal
    https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sport...ls-best-players-under-arsene-wenger/34032263/

*)
    Show Spoiler
    Daily Telegraph, March 2005

[Bergkamp] has a remarkable club record of having won half of his 36 [Champions League] matches and tasted defeat only five times, including last season's loss to Chelsea, when he played only the final nine minutes. In 32 games without him, Arsenal have lost 16 and won just 9, making one wonder whether they should have taken up more of his offers to travel by boat and train and aquaplane to some of their more distant ties. If the Milk Tray man can do it, why not the player without whom Arsenal have an obvious soft centre? Arsenal are unbeaten in the six away games he has played since their Champions League debut in 1998-99.

Ozora repped this.
  9. darov81

darov81 New Member

FC Barcelona
    Poland
    Oct 5, 2017
    Puck

Do you have Bergkamp's assist stats in Ajax and NT?

10. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Robben is a great player.. but I prefer Bergkamp - he had more technique. Robben relies a lot on his speed but his bag of tricks is not that big in comparison.

11. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    great post. but robben performed better at NT level. his 2010 and especially,2014 world cup.
    his attack prowess,imo, also higher than bergkamp. from 2012 to 2015, robben was a force of nature

12. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    his dribbling abilities is amazing, greater than bergkamp

13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #13 carlito86, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Bergkamp could play football from another planet
    Maybe he even reach a higher plateau than robben but don’t think he was as consistent performer even in his prime

I think it is a great achievement in itself that he ranked so high in the ballon dor playing for Ajax
    Players in the eredivisie don’t usually recieve that level of recognition
    So maybe I did underplay him and slightly overrate robben

They are really completely different players though
    Both game changers in their own way

1:54-1:56:eek: the iceman went god mode in certain sections of this comp

It is funny because a lot of the time it’s like the commentators are thinking out loud for me
    “Oh what a ball Dennis berkgamp what a ball!!!
    The level of dribbling technique and close control he showed in that assist against juventus was off the charts
    Just a Superb player really

The closest from this era I saw was ozil but he trails behind considerably in technical ability(first touch and dribbling) and finishing
    So really in fact he isn’t close at all

PDG1978 repped this.
  14. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One of the underrated feature of Bergkamp's playmaking is the long list of player he made look good, which has to be one of the major aspects of the playmaking task itself.

33-35 year old Ian Wright had no business being as good as he was, but Bergkamp made him that good. Ian Wright had lost most of his pace (one of his defining characteristics) but of course he could still finish.

Anelka's stocks were never as high as when he played for us. Bergkamp made the whole world think the young Anelka was going to be the next big thing when he was in fact just a great athlete with good technique and a major mentality problem.

FFS, this man made Ljungberg look good!

We see all the time playmakers who couldn't play with some players, coudn't fit into some system, forced managers into certain tactics, etc. Bergkamp, at least during his time at Arsenal (never watched him at Ajax or Inter) was good with anyone in any team, for Arsenal or Netherlands.

carlito86 repped this.
  15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    @carlito86 @PDG1978 @poetgooner

It's behind a paywall but Voetbal International published this article on monday. I actually think it might overlook some important things (that he's the European with the most successful dribbles ever at the World Cup maybe merits a mention) and don't agree with everything, it can spell out some things better, but it is decent enough to share.

-------------------------------

The effective Arjen Robben

[​IMG]

On Sunday Arjen Robben (34) announced that he will stop at Bayern Munich after this season. The list of statistics that Robben put down at the German top club is very good. The winger has had the highest return from all Bundesliga football players since his 2009 appearance. Almost no one can match the figures of Robben over the German border.

Because of his persistent injuries, it is easy to forget that Robben nevertheless belonged to the elite of world football since his move to the Bundesliga, and gave his team an extra gear in the Champions League if he was fortunate to play. His performance in the Champions League match against Benfica, which was won 5-1, is another example of this. In the thirteenth minute Robben utterly defeats the crisis mood in Bavaria with a slalom between three opponents, a short hood movement inwards and the shot with left in the top corner where he can now request copyright. Those who delve deeper into the statistics will see that Robben is not only a brilliant soloist, but also a highly effective team player.

Robben's egoistic image gains nuance when it is placed next to the bare figures. Since his debut at Bayern, Robben has created an average of 2.50 chances per ninety minutes. That is more than Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Luis Suarez, Gareth Bale and others. The many opportunities created by Robben logically also translate to assists. Of that he gave over 100 in all competitions.

Over all his time at Bayern, Robben excels in five categories: goals, assists, goal attempts, created opportunities and successful dribbles. Until recently, no player could match him on the whole of these qualities. In the last two seasons the age of Robben only takes his toll: his dribble decreases as a weapon of strength.

[​IMG]

The fact that Robben can no longer ignore opponents on explosiveness makes it better that his return has remained high. Despite the weak form of Bayern, the left leg from Bedum - Bundesliga and CL is added together - hits again this season every 120 minutes. If we add up the goals and assists over the entire German period, it turns out how good Robben is. He is directly involved in a goal every 92 minutes. That is more often than any other player who was active with him in the Bundesliga at the same time.

[​IMG]

Even when the other top competitions are also taken into account, Robben's performance remains of the outside category. Only the return of Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kylian Mbappé, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Luis Suarez and Neymar is higher than that of the Dutch wing flash. It is also striking that the artistic Robin van Persie can be found in the top ten, which shows that the insignificant Netherlands has produced two of the best attackers in Robben's generation.

[​IMG]
    (N.B. Harry Kane is on a goal and assist every 103 minutes, 131 in 13464)

Although Robben is also successful as a provider, he has mainly established a reputation as a goal-scorer in Germany. Every 142 minutes Robben is good for a hit. With that he narrowly ends behind Roy Makaay (139 minutes per goal), to whom he even had a head start two years ago. Only ten top strikers score even more than Robben, the first in the list below who is not a striker. That he approaches numbers of a classic number 9 from the wing is very good.

[​IMG]

Furthermore, Arjen Robben is of all players in history with at least 119 duels in the Bundesliga the player with by far the highest winning percentage. In 76 percent of the games in which he came within the lines, Bayern Munich won as the winner of the field. When we take one hundred as a marker, Javi Martinez (83% of the 117) and Thiago (80% of the 106) are currently ahead of him.

[​IMG]

It is not that Robben only puts down such figures because he played in the best team of the Bundesliga. Robben makes Bayern demonstrably better when he starts a match. When the Man of Glass takes part in a match, Bayern scores and wins more often than when he is not present between the lines. He provided his team an extra level in the Champions League and the highest scorelines in the treble winning season were reached with him in the team.

As Dutch football fan, it is advisable to not take Arjen Robben for granted, even if he doesn't entirely fit in the Ajax ideal type. Maybe it will take ten to fifteen years before another attacker of this class arises in the Netherlands.

Data via Opta Sports

Perú FC, carlito86, Danko and 2 others repped this.
  16. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Necaxa, Galatasaray, Real Madrid
    Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In my top 150 I considered Robben in the place 148 of all time.

17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #17 carlito86, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    58 places behind where you ranked ibrahimovic on the other thread o_O

I can assure you that’s not how they were viewed during their primes.
    Robben will make top 10 winger of all time with George best,garrincha,Schiaffino ,dzajic,czibor,sir Tom Finney,Stanley Matthews,robben,Luis figo,gento

Ibrahimovic will struggle to make top 25 forward/striker since 1950(way to many players to include he has a VERY SLIM chance to make this exclusive group)

18. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm not sure if Robben should be in the top 10 of wingers, I mean, I think Tom Finney, Zoltan Czibor, Kurt Hamrin and Julinho are players with an equal status.

On the other hand, I have Zlatan as the No. 10 best striker of all time.. He has been too underrated but he is one of the most consistent and regular players of this century, also reaching very good peaks.

19. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The competition for elite strikers is harder than for wingers
    Let’s say we have top 5 best strikers that are untouchable for ibrahimovic
    Eusebio
    Post prime Puskás
    Gerd muller
    Van Basten
    Ronaldo de Lima

After this we are still left with Romario,Jimmy greaves,kocsis,luis Suarez,Denis law(who was a playmaking striker with the shirt to prove it)
    These are just strikers
    In forwards there are at least 15 definitely better players in talent+career achievement+big game impact

Lionel Messi
    Pelé
    Johan Cruyff
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Di Stefano
    Jose Moreno
    Prime Puskás
    Sindelaar
    Meazza
    Roberto Baggio
    KHR
    Rivaldo
    Thierry Henry

After all these forwards and strikers ibrahimovic will be the pick of the lucky draw between Luigi Riva,stoichkov,sivori and it is very unlikely he is actually better than these players who made there name as legends in BIG MATCHES which ibrahimovic could not do
    It isn’t certain ibrahimovic had a greater prime than that of Del piero in juventus before his injuries
    I would rank ibrahimovic as the level as totti (just outside the top 100)

Surely though he is greater than Shevchenko,lewandowski,crespo,batistuta,drogba,eto’o who were just goalscorers

20. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @tLB Odiseo

There are no recorded examples of ibrahimovic being capable of doing this in a champions league QF to final
    A hattrick scored against Fabian barthez when he was very arguably the best GK in the world
    And in a champions league semifinal

21. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    1. Ronaldo
    2. Eusébio
    3. Gerd Muller/Marco van Basten
    4. Gerd Muller/Marco van Basten
    5. Romario
    6. Sandor Kocsis
    7. Uwe Seeler
    8. Thierry Henry
    9. Arsenio Erico
    10. Josef Bican
    11. Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    12. Dixie Dean

22. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #22 carlito86, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Ronaldo de Lima was never considered the best striker of all time even during his absolute prime(this is historical revisionism on your part)

NOTICE
    Many claimed he had the potential to be just that but he never fulfilled that potential
    It is extremely laughable that a ST with barely 400 career goals could go down as THE best striker in the history of football.
    What seems to be the logic behind bican being ranked behind arsenio erico?
    They both played in the pre war/high scoring era and bican was considerably more prolific and CONSISTENT which is the key here even if reportedly Erico was more talented (in terms of athletic and technical abilities)

To be considered amongst the top 10 strikers in the history of football you have to leave an indelible mark on the game which ibrahimovic did not do.
    Ibrahimovic was never at any point of his career a unanimous top 3 player in Europe.

Lastly if you include Henry as a striker when he was actually a forward who played out wide as a WF(like today’s Mbappé for example)
    Then we will also include hristo stoichkov with Ballon D’Or+golden boot+CL+key player in 4 consecutive La Liga titles+European golden shoe

There are way too many strikers to give consideration ahead of ibrahimovic
    Don’t get me wrong as it might come across as I’m underrating him.
    In talent ibrahimovic was amongst the very best European CF of a all time
    NO QUESTION

How he applied that talent for the benefit of his teams in the champions league is really my only issue with him.
    As a league performer there isn’t much to critic but as a champions league performer his career has been extremely underwhelming

All time Legends where always made in the World Cup,Euros and champions league
    Playing for Sweden not much can be expected but playing for juventus,Barcelona,both Milan’s,highest spending french team in history psg and you barely have 5 champions league ko stage goals!!!!!
    There’s no getting away from this
    Without Henry’s 05/06 champions campaign i would’ve probably rated him as the same level as ibra but he showed that season he could be relied on in the big games

Ibrahimovic is a complete striker with great acrobatic skills and good playmaking skills relative to his position like Luigi Riva(the greatest striker Italy ever produced with a harder shot than Eusebio)

That is ibrahimovics level nothing more or less
    To be considered for a seat next to the crem dela crem much more is required than great performances in the league

23. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    On this point, Bican played in a very noncompetitive league due to WWII.

S. American leagues, particularly Argentina, could be considered the most competitive at the time due simply to this fact. Erico was scoring goals in what many consider to be one of the most competitive leagues at the time, unlike Bican. He had to face the La Maquina River Plate, for example.

24. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There’s a common misconception that Robben is a speed dribbler like Bale. He’s a terrific dribbler IMO. Bergkamp is the better technical player and more entertaining to watch.

ko242 repped this.
  25. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ibrahimovic was surprisingly a good dribbler at his peak despite his physique.