Historic World Wide Balon d'Or 23 player short lists

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Tom Stevens, Jan 8, 2016.

1. elegos7

elegos7 Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Hi Ariaga,
    Thanks for these seasonal selections. It is interesting to look at your Top 23 players, but unfortunately you only started selecting them from 1924-1925.
    I realize there were few international matches in the early 1920s.
    Do you plan to go back and make your annual Top 23 selections also between 1919-1920 and 1923-1924?

2. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I already made them the first time around, my reports back then just weren't any good. :D I can post them here. They're a bit raw, as I didn't start going my own way until around 1925. Some club players like Schaffer and Konrad probably deserve more appearances.

19-20:

Braun, Jozsef (Hungary)
    Buchan, Charlie (England)
    Calomino, Pedro (Argentina)
    Coppee, Robert (Belgium)
    Denis, Harry (Netherlands)
    Friedenreich, Arthur (Brazil)
    Halvorsen, Asbjorn (Norway)
    Hardy, Sam (England)
    Janda, Antonin (Czechoslovakia)
    Kelly, Bob (England)
    Konrad, Kalman (Hungary)
    Libonatti, Julio (Argentina)
    Orth, Gyorgy (Hungary)
    Pennington, Jesse (England)
    Pesek, Karel (Czechoslovakia)
    Piendibene, Jose (Uruguay)
    Romano, Angel (Uruguay)
    Scarone, Hector (Uruguay)
    Schlosser, Imre (Hungary)
    Sesumaga, Felix (Spain)
    Swartenbroeks, Armand (Belgium)
    Wilson, Andy (Scotland)
    Zamora, Ricardo (Spain)

20-21:

Cevenini, Luigi (Italy)
    Chambers, Harry (England)
    Cunningham, Andy (Scotland)
    Fogl, Karoly (Hungary)
    Foglino, Alfredo (Uruguay)
    Grimsdell, Arthur (England)
    Janda, Antonin (Czechoslovakia)
    Kelly, Bob (England)
    Konrad, Kalman (Hungary)
    Kuthan, Richard (Austria)
    Marshall, Jack (Scotland)
    Morton, Alan (Scotland)
    Orth, Gyorgy (Hungary)
    Popovich, Alexander (Austria)
    Romano, Angel (Uruguay)
    Schlosser, Imre (Hungary)
    Swatosch, Ferdinand (Austria)
    Uridil, Josef (Austria)
    Vizard, Ted (Wales)
    Wilson, Andy (Scotland)

21-22:

Alcantara, Paulino (Spain)
    Cevenini, Luigi (Italy)
    De Vecchi, Renzo (Italy)
    Dvoracek, Jan (Czechoslovakia)
    Fischera, Adolf (Austria)
    Fogl, Karoly (Hungary)
    Gallacher, Patsy (Ireland)
    Kalb, Hans (Germany)
    Kolenaty, Frantisek (Czechoslovakia)
    Kuthan, Richard (Austria)
    Libonatti, Julio (Argentina)
    Lindberg, Sigge (Sweden)
    Marshall, Jack (Scotland)
    Morton, Alan (Scotland)
    Orth, Gyorgy (Hungary)
    Scott, Elisha (Ireland)
    Tesoriere, Americo (Argentina)
    Walker, Billy (England)
    Wilson, Andy (Scotland)
    Zamora, Ricardo (Spain)

22-23:

Abegglen, Max (Switzerland)
    Amilcar Barbuy (Brazil)
    Brandstätter, Josef (Austria)
    Braun, Jozsef (Hungary)
    Caligaris, Umberto (Italy)
    Cunningham, Andy (Scotland)
    De Vecchi, Renzo (Italy)
    Dvoracek, Jan (Czechoslovakia)
    Fogl, Karoly (Hungary)
    Longworth, Ephraim (England)
    Morton, Alan (Scotland)
    Neco (Brazil)
    Orth, Gyorgy (Hungary)
    Piera, Vicente (Spain)
    Seddon, Jimmy (England)
    Sedlacek, Josef (Czechoslovakia)
    Seoane, Manuel (Argentina)
    Walker, Billy (England)
    Wilson, Andy (Scotland)
    Zamora, Ricardo (Spain)

23-24:

Abegglen, Max (Switzerland)
    Andrade, Jose Leandro (Uruguay)
    Braun, Jozsef (Hungary)
    Cea, Pedro (Uruguay)
    Davies, Len (Wales)
    Denis, Harry (Netherlands)
    Kalb, Hans (Germany)
    Keenor, Fred (Wales)
    Kock, Putte (Sweden)
    Kolenaty, Frantisek (Czechoslovakia)
    Morton, Alan (Scotland)
    Nasazzi, Jose (Uruguay)
    Orth, Gyorgy (Hungary)
    Petit, Rene (France)
    Petrone, Pedro (Uruguay)
    Romano, Angel (Uruguay)
    Rydell, Sven (Sweden)
    Scarone, Hector (Uruguay)
    Tarasconi, Domingo (Argentina)
    Walker, Billy (England)
    Wieser, Gustav (Austria)

I also already have ones from 1960 on. They're basically the BdO rankings completed with South Americans and other players thrown in based on my World Soccer readathon. Once I reach that point I can either post them or possibly still do some revisions.

Gregoriak, elegos7 and EnnatzIsTheMan repped this.
  3. EnnatzIsTheMan

Meidericher Spielverein
    Mar 16, 2018
    I love to see that. Nice to hear that you already made up your selections from 1960s onwards. I guess that is pretty much the point from which on internationals lose their significance but gain in quantity so that your usual research would become a never ending story.
    I really appreciate your amazing work! I love to read the reports as they always offer some interesting and new insights. In fact, you are the reason I became (semi-)active on BigSoccer and check new feed daily (the other knowledgeable contributors in this thread too, of course ;)).
    It would definitely be fun to read your reasonings for post-1960 selections. Nonetheless, it would be great to see the full lists in before!

4. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Thanks. In my view, friendlies lose their significance in the 60s, but NT-level is still viewed as the gold standard until the 90s, if not to the degree it was pre-50s. I'll be retiring my reports after 1960, yeah. I can't even remember my reasonings for those lists anymore. :D It's already getting difficult to discover any kind of narrative at international level, and like you said, after 1960 it just turns into a hodge podge of random games at all levels. Plus I think all the major developments are pretty much common knowledge already.

5. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018

1954-1955:

The big item this season is the return of the Soviet Union. When last we met them, they were pretty much done, just a shadow of their former selves. And now? They're back and better than ever! After dismantling Sweden twice (7-0 and 6-0) almost a year apart, the Swedish press proclaim they're not only better than the Dynamo-side, but also better than Hungary at their best!

Sweden also had the privilege of getting crushed by Hungary this season, but they consider the USSR to be the gold standard now. The USSR controlled the second game like 90% of the time, with the Swedes earning one shot on goal. How would things have gone if the Swedes had played their army of pros from abroad, the experts are asked? Very differently, the Swedes would probably have scored a goal or two. Next question: for an Italian talent scout, which of the Russians would have been worth more than recent big transfer Selmosson? All of them. In fact, is there enough money in all of Italy to pay the value of a Streltsov or Salnikov? Tatushin is one of the absolute best right-wingers around, maybe the best. The main star of them all seems to be Netto, though. Yashin is good, but not really nomination-worthy yet.

The Swedish team has two world-class stars of their own in Kalle and Julle (Svensson and Gustavsson), but even they aren't of much use against an invincible opponent. World champions Germany does a little better against the Russians, managing to struggle to a 3-2 loss, in a game that had the entire Soviet team in the German half for the last 15 mins. Germany of course had a famously terrible world cup hangover.

The USSR and Hungary do face off this season, but the result is an inconclusive draw. Hungary have another undefeated season, but they're considered past it now. Puskas especially has struggled to regain fitness after his injury, and has developed into the well-known later chubby version. One report is hinting his international career is heading towards the kaput stage. They're more right than they know...

In some of the early matches it's the new wing-pair Sandor and Fenyvesi who have to do the heavy lighting for the team, but they seem to fade away a bit towards the summer. Of the old guard, Kocsis seems to be one player who's as good as ever, and I also deemed the likes of Hidegkuti and Bozsik to still be worth a spot. Being past it by this team's standards is relative, after all.

Yugoslavia have a fairly quiet time for much of this season, but they peak with a definitive 4-0 away smashing of Italy. Vukas, Yugoslav's answer to Hidegkuti, is their big star, with Boskov, one of the absolute best halves around, now the other.

England have a hit and miss season, being dominant against other British teams but disappointing on the continent. Matthews has another career-defining moment, dismantling Scotland in a performance compared to the famous Matthews-final. He's a bit more subdued in the spring tour, but is definitely still enjoying major reputation at age 40. Next to Matthews and Wright, the big British star is now John Charles, one of "the greatest of his age" and "a master in a collection of learners". He's playing as a CB, but it's said his role is essentially creative.

One of the teams that enjoyed success against England is France, now firmly led by "the one who will soon become the player number 1 in Europe, the extraordinary Raymond Kopa". Marche is the other major star, having a career-defining moment in managing to subdue Matthews.

Another team who got one up over England is Portugal, led by the impressive trio of Travassos, Coluna and Matateu. Coluna and Matateu are playing in the Hidegkuti-Kocsis manner, but amusingly the reports can't seem to agree which one of them is the Hidegkuti.

Austria are now in clear decline, though interestingly they seem to do better against the good sides than the weaker ones. Old stalwarts Ocwirk and Hanappi are still good for them, though. Our international candidates are completed by Belgium's "robust Sindelar" Coppens.

Also occurring this season is another Supranational representative match. Ocwirk and Vukas return to kick ass again, this time combining with Kopa to decisively smash the Brits. Unfortunately I couldn't find any info on warm-up matches or which other players were considered.

Turning to league matters, Milan seem worth all the accolades from Serie A. Interestingly, they don't do that well in the big games, but the team clearly have a big aura. Record-signing Schiaffino is there, Nordahl is enjoying an Indian summer, and Liedholm is reborn ingeniously as a halfback. The CDS ranks Udinese's Selmosson ahead of Schiaffino in the rankings, but I'm going to chalk that one up as another statistical anomaly. I'm not quite sure Selmosson is a BdO-candidate level talent (he couldn't even hold a regular spot for Sweden before this), but feel free to correct me. Boniperti had probably his best international season yet, but is nowhere in the rankings with a disappointing Juve, so he misses out again.

In Spain, I gather the trio of ADS, Kubala and Rial as the big three. Kubala was disappointing for the NT, so I'm leaning on going with the more successful Rial ahead of him, though I'm not quite sure if he's that highly-rated. If he was, I'm wondering why he was barely capped afterwards? Speaking of caps, Schiaffino makes his debut for Italy. There are some eligibility shenanigans, though, and it seems like he can only be used in friendlies? That would explain his low numbers for Italy.

South America has another quiet season, with heavy tinkering keeping any Argentinians from being considered. Julinho probably has the best case for inclusion.

Boskov, Vujadin (Yugoslavia)
    Bozsik, Jozsef (Hungary)
    Charles, John (Wales)
    Coppens, Rik (Belgium)
    Di Stefano, Alfredo (Argentina)
    Hanappi, Gerhard (Austria)
    Hidegkuti, Nandor (Hungary)
    Julinho (Brazil)
    Kocsis, Sandor (Hungary)
    Kopa, Raymond (France)
    Kubala, Laszlo (Hungary/Spain)
    Liedholm, Nils (Sweden)
    Marche, Roger (France)
    Matthews, Stanley (England)
    Netto, Igor (USSR)
    Nordahl, Gunnar (Sweden)
    Ocwirk, Ernst (Austria)
    Rial, Hector (Argentina/Spain)
    Schiaffino, Juan (Uruguay)
    Tatushin, Boris (USSR)
    Vukas, Bernard (Yugoslavia)
    Wright, Billy (England)
    Zebec, Branko (Yugoslavia)

TotS:
    Beara
    Wright
    Charles
    Marche;
    Ocwirk
    Boskov;
    Matthews
    Kocsis
    Kopa
    Schiaffino
    Vukas

No keeper was without their flaws this season, but Beara wins the top spot over Svensson.

Top 3:
    1. Kocsis
    2. Kopa
    3. Matthews

Not the results I was expecting to see, but this is what I ended up with. Kocsis managed to come off very good in the match reports, has an established rep from last year, and in general seems to be a lot on people's lips. Matthews is coming off as ridiculously highly-rated even into his 40s. His win in the first BdO is starting to make sense now. Di Stefano doesn't seem to have that BdO winner aura before the EC gets along, IMO.

Notes:
    Ireland's CB Con Martin comes up for a corner and scores against Norway. First example I've ran into of this now common practice.

Links:

Gyula Mandi's world 11.

Yugoslav opinion of the world's best.

Ranking of best South Americans.

A ranking by Kicker. This looks interesting. Wonder if they made more of those?

elegos7, Titanlux and Gregoriak repped this.
  6. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    SA ranking is about South American Champonship 1956, not the whole year. It was quoted from uruguayan newspaper "El Dia". It seems they missed the last round.

For comparison, here's the ranking from peruvian "La Prensa".

As I said before, brazilian ordering in a 2-3-5, makes things a bit confusing about defensive roles (especially for Arg/Uru).

Players making the Best XI in both rankings were: Mussimesi, G.Delgado, Luisinho, Miguez and Borges (low rating)

7. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Ariaga II repped this.
  8. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    1955-1956:

This is the first season where I'll have actual BdO results to use as my training wheels. I know the first year BdO votes have tended to raised some eyebrows, so it'll be interesting to see how they compare to my own research. What I did was create my rankings before checking the official ones, and then check how close I got.

As mentioned, Brazil had probably the most extensive international season in history, with mixed results. Their most impressive player was Djalma Santos, described by the Austrians as "one of the best defenders ever to play in Vienna". His ball control is equal to any forward, and he's also known for advancing up to attack. Didi is the other major player, but he falls off a little in some of the later matches. Gilmar and Nilton impress at times, too.
    Tactic-wise 4-2-4 still isn't here, and the Brazilians still retain their reputation as technically talented but tactically incompetent. Portugal are said to have defeated Spain with a 4-2-4, though.

There's an interesting anecdote about a conversation between Brazil's coach and a European one.
    "Did you see Didi? He dribbled past five men! Fantastic!"
    "Yes, but he lost the ball afterwards."
    "So?"
    Sums up the different mentalities.

Elsewhere in South America, Argentina's main stars are their youngest and their oldest, Sivori and Labruna. The other countries don't seem to have anyone stand out in particular.

In Europe, Hungary are back to their best... and then not again. They improve during the fall, but by spring can barely win a game at all. Contemporary wisdom will say the revolution stole their chance at another shot of the WC, but the team seems absolutely done already. It will be interesting top see how they'll do in their last few internationals.

Yugoslavia experience a pretty similar trajectory. They start off with an impressive dismantling of the world champions (and who even remembers them by this point?), but by summer have been undone by their now customary inability to score. Vukas is still top class, though, and is joined by a hugely impressive Milutinovic, who's also top scorer in in the inaugural European Cup.

This leaves the USSR at the top of the food chain in Europe. I didn't have access to reports of all their matches, but Streltsov impressed in the big games, and Netto is described as the best Left half in Europe. Yashin isn't needed much, but he's mentioned as probably the best goalie around.

One team joining the big leagues is France. Their results include their "best ever" achievement, an away draw against the Soviets. The Soviets describe them as being close to the Hungarians in class. In typical football fashion, they fail to keep up this form, though. Top dog Kopa is joined by an able lieutenant in Piantoni. Jonquet impresses in defence.

England have improved results, though the performances aren't always there. Wright is one of the best performers around period, and he's joined by two impressive up-comers. Haynes has the "spark of true genius", and Edwards breaks through internationally in the spring. The other Man United stars don't seem nomination-worthy yet. The lack of a Matthews is lamented in just about every report.

Elsewhere, John Charles is a beast for Wales. Ocwirk and Hanappi keep impressing for Austria. Scotland's best player is Bobby Evans, a wild rebel who plays with his shirt untucked.

In Serie A, Montuori came off as the key player for champions Fiorentina over Julinho. He's also a key player for Italy, though his performances there are mixed.

Bozsik, Jozsef (Hungary)
    Charles, John (Wales)
    Didi (Brazil)
    Di Stefano, Alfredo (Argentina)
    Edwards, Duncan (England)
    Jonquet, Robert (France)
    Julinho (Brazil)
    Kocsis, Sandor (Hungary)
    Kopa, Raymond (France)
    Milutinovic, Milos (Yugoslavia)
    Montuori, Miguel (Argentina/Italy)
    Netto, Igor (USSR)
    Ocwirk, Ernst (Austria)
    Piantoni, Roger (France)
    Puskas, Ferenc (Hungary)
    Santos, Djalma (Brazil)
    Schiaffino, Juan (Uruguay)
    Sivori, Omar (Argentina)
    Streltsov, Eduard (USSR)
    Vukas, Bernard (Yugoslavia)
    Wright, Billy (England)
    Yashin, Lev (USSR)

TotS
    Yashin
    D. Santos
    Charles
    Wright;
    Ocwirk
    Netto;
    Milutinovic
    Kopa
    Di Stefano
    Didi
    Vukas

So, what's my verdict on the inaugural BdO-voting? To me it seems very much based on all-around reputation and not so much on this season's achievements. I felt pretty safe about removing Matthews this time. Even his famous Brazil-performance seemed to earn some mixed reviews.

The Hungarian big three seem to be ranked way too high, though they still made my list. The Yugoslavs seem a major omission, especially since Milutinovic makes it in later on. It's good to keep in mind the BdO was late 56, though, so that probably explains some of the choices. Yugoslavia's best performances were in late 55.
    Bulgaria made their first tentative steps towards international recognition, but I'm assuming Bozhkov and Kolev are primarily included because of the Olympics (which are held in late 56). It probably explains Yashin's high standing, too.

My Top 3:
    1. Di Stefano
    2. Kopa
    3. Milutinovic

Notes:

-Djalma isn't the only FB who knows how to overlap. Austria's RB Halla spends as much time as a winger as he does as a FB.

-Hungary and Italy use a novelty that's useful in a floodlight match: a white ball! Italy also start a game by passing backwards. Total anti-football.

Gregoriak, elegos7, Tom Stevens and 2 others repped this.
  9. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Confirmed (not much of a criticism but more of an observation) : Jonquet is always under the radar for some reasons although one of the best CH during the 50's.
    There's always something wrong : in '54, in that period, he was at his best but he got injured prior to the World Cup. In '56, as you said, as for the Ballon d'Or, it's much "tribute time" and about awarding a "player from the country that invented football" as FF wrote (Matthews... also Wright... as for Charles, who's younger ofc, he was playing in Div. 2.. well like Haynes in '61...) . Before the European Cups and Reims, French football did not stand out, ok, although Reims win the Latin Cup by beating Milan in '53. There's the draw at Wembley in '51 too as for the NT, since England was still the 'standard meter', for many journalists, a bit everywhere.

So, really, I don't find easy to assess wich years Jonquet was the best in central defense but on the other hand, I'm confident he was it on one year, possibly even more. So I'd pick '56, possibly '55, '54, '53... I'd take look at everything Billy Wright's post '52, to sum it up.
    Not in '54, but probably not Wright either (England was quater-finalist, right?) but who else then, maybe there's no other strong candidate, yeah Wright then ofc... otherwise there's Liebrich and Horvat at first sight... dunno. Santamaria... yeah Wright by default (I think that the background can count btw, it is stated in the rules of the BdO btw, so I agree with that 'official criteria').
    Jonquet was more technical for sure and defensively very strong too, not inferior to Wright in that department imho. So I think the background can be important, like in '54, but at one point it must stop, like in '56 when Reims plays the first European Cup Final with their captain Jonquet (3-4 loss after leading the score very early and at the 60th minute... caught up and finally beaten... but then what about Wright against Hungary in '53 and '54... France did not face them... etc. etc., Kopa played injured in the '56 finale...).

So, I think there's a match France vs England on these years at CH. Or England vs France, more.

Wright wins the Div 1 again in '58 and '59 when he's in his 35 years. Jonquet was 33 then, won the French double and had a great World Cup in Sweden but prior to the tournament he won back his spot in the French XI due to the fact that Zitouni left for the FLN team. In the French league, Zitouni was rated higher than Jonquet and he clearly was getting the upper hand over the CH spot in NT, in '57 + the first match of '58 against Spain where he countained Di Stéfano... Real made him an offer etc. etc. but we'll see later).
    So these years should be interesting too at the CH position. Maybe the answer, in these cases, could be Santamaria.

Real, England... done! :D

msioux75 and Gregoriak repped this.
  10. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    OK

So, M̶a̶t̶t̶h̶e̶w̶s̶ Tatushin

11. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Jonquet was in the ball park for me in 53, but didn't make the final cut. There are always some players slipping through the cracks, and defenders generally have to really stand out to make it in. I somehow made it through the early 50s with zero nominations for Happel, though he at least made a TotS. I prefer to keep things natural and not think how many times a certain players should be in, even if it will lead to over-underrepresentation.

To me a France-England battle for the CB spot isn't really an issue, because I can (and have) included several CBs in one TotS. Ever since Wright was moved to CB he's been ridiculously highly-rated. I'd say he's in a class of his own in this era.

Of the others, Santamaria seems more like a Real Madrid-era peak. At least in the WC he came off as good enough, but not the world's best or one of the major stars of his team. Liebrich did come off as both of those in the WC, but trailed off soon afterwards. A bit of a charlatan who peaked at the right time (like his team mates), IMO.

Figuring out all the low-capped players is always the toughest. Would you consider Zitouni to be first tier level? What about the other major North Africans of the era, Mekhloufi, Akesbi and Mahjoub?

No way! :D That line was part of the paraphrasing of what the Swedish report was saying. They have a tendency for hyperbole, so I take what they say with a grain of salt (they considered the Lundberg-Rasmussen duo to be the best in Europe, too). Not quite sure I buy Streltsov and Salnikov being miles ahead of all the Serie A stars, but it was interesting to see how much hype the team was getting. Tatushin came off very well against Germany, too, so that's why I included him over the other Russians. Definitely not over Matthews, though.

12. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    First, a correction about my previus post : Haynes was playing in Div. 1 in '61.

About the 4 players from Algeria and Morocco I think that Zitouni has his word to say amongst the top tier defenders for that 1955-1957 period when he was on the rise internationally, was the best CH of the French league (a bit younger than Jonquet) and imposed himself in NT (being still the CH in March '58, not sure how Jonquet could have find his spot again if Zitouni did not leave to play for the FLN team. There probably was still a little chance for Jonquet but we'll never know, it happenned as it happenned).
    As for the others, at their positions it should be more difficult although they were great league players, especially Mekhloufi. Akesbi was not at that level for sure although a very good "pocket-striker" attacking generally from the right side. Mahjoub was an inside converted to HB, an artist who was also strong but could have some inconstencies (well, like others + when exactly, the precise dates I don't know) and that made that he did not imposed himself at HB internationally (he has 1 assist at Chamartin in '55, 2-1 for France).
    Back to Mekhloufi it will remain complicated for sure although against some EE player, dunno, let's see. In today's football, he'd probably play for some nice name abroad. Then, ofc we can't know how good he'd have done, it depends on too many things.

Ofc although Wright was for sure very good and one of the best around in this era I think it's overrating him to give him a spot every seaons.
    Same for Matthews. In all respect for the player and his career, since Julinho was clearly something else in '54, I don't see how it could not be still the same in '55.
    Otherwise there's the solution to displace Kopa on the right, Kocsis in the centre and include somebody else at IR but I know it is not how you want to proceed generally and in this case, personally, probably I'd just go for Julinho on the right anyway, with a thought to Rial.

Gregoriak and Ariaga II repped this.
  13. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    The four North Africans all come off as pretty borderline cases to me. Inconsistent is a good descriptor for Mahjoub from the reports I read. He came off very good early on, having that sort of artist/magician rep going on. Then he dipped in form and was never capped again. His later career in France is low on appearances for some reason. Akesbi came off very good in World Soccer, and I might have room for Mekhloufi, too, in the 60s. The late 50s I suspect is going to get as crowded as the early-50s.

I'd argue it's Matthews who's something else, winning best player awards even in years when he doesn't do much (major reason why I had him in 53 and 54), and in 54-55 he had some of the best games of his career. Even if Julinho was the better player in 53-54 (I personally had him ranked higher than Matthews), he doesn't have an international element of any kind in 54-55. Having him in at all is being very generous if his only achievements are at a regional league. Wright is another who's consistently among the best players on the pitch, and is ridiculously highly ranked in official lists (but more on that soon). Thanks for the input, BTW.

I don't have any problem going for a mismatched forward-line. I'm not sure I've had an accurate forward-line once. :D Only if there's something of a tiebreaker I'll go for the one who fits in better.

14. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    About Mahjoub, I see now in a profile that I did years ago (using different sources that I can't remember. The profile is not online anymore) that he got injured in '55 (which month?). Also, as a team, RC Paris was rather inconsistent.

Julinho moved to Fiorentina in '55, to be soon champion of Italy (then European Cup finalist wich doesn't hurt and two times vice-champion). Before this, he has the Rio-Sao Paulo.
    Matthews was injured/ out of form at the 1954 World Cup. In '55, out of 5 international games, he played one at Wembley, his only win, against Scotland, 7-2 and 4 away (3 losses in France, Portugal and Wales, 1 draw game in Spain, who really had no unity and were really not fantastic with their stars imports during that era just to add it by passing even though it's common knowlege, so there's all their results with this link).
    In '56, he has that collection of crosses against Brazil at Wembley (4-2).
    I'm not aware of what his great games were, if you want well to cite them in here.

And thanks for continuing this thread. I think I missed some episodes but when I see a new post over here it's an immediate click :thumbsup:

15. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Matthews was among England's best players whenever playing in WC 54.
    Belgium
    Uruguay

The game against Scotland is the one that's compared to the famous Matthews-final. There's also the Germany game.

wm442433 repped this.
  16. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Yeah that's super elogious to Matthews from his fellow countrymen. There's something between their press and them two especially, Matthews and Wright. "We lost but our living legend is so great" in gross. They conceded 8 goals in those two games but "our Billy Wright is the great master in defense".
    The only game that England won at the World Cup '54 was without Matthews, against the Swiss.

That's funny from them (although a bit gross) but I guess the purpose of the thread also can be a bit about to "debunk" some myths/ put some jokes a bit aside at one point and go a bit more against what x journalist said/ what he wanted to write.
    I mean it's interesting and all but Matthews top-3 best players in the world in 1954-1955... it's huge!
    Although, who else then, I don't know, I admit.
    Well, Di Stéfano maybe. I forgot about him on the road, previously, as for the TotS to start with. But he did not play for Spain yet ;-)

17. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Well, there's always also what the opponents are saying. (includes amusing anecdote about how Matthews had been smashing Germany even before Seeler was born)
    It is huge! Matthews won the actual real world BdO a year later and the UP-poll (admittedly it looks like a British association) a year earlier, so in that context my top 3 in 1955 is small fry. I've been putting the breaks on Matthews as much as possible. I could have easily handed him ten BdOs, but I knew my rankings would have been laughed off the Internet if I did that. The truth is Matthews has been hugely downgraded in contemporary TV-only rankings, and almost completely erased by the Internet community.

18. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Matthews is still probably one of England's three most highly rated footballers along with Charlton and Moore.

He was always a favourite with the English press and fans. Within the game players and coaches were more equivocal, many preferring Finney. It is one of the reasons why Matthews was left out of England sides more often than he was selected. When Raich Carter was praised by journalists for his partnership with Matthews, his response was that it was a one-way relationship. Carter would give the ball to Matthews then wait in vain to get it back.

Finney's reputation was not harmed by the 6-3 home defeat by Hungary because he was not playing. He was back for the return in Budapest the following year when England lost 7-1. This time Matthews was missing, replaced not by Finney but by Peter Harris of Portsmouth. Finney played on the left wing to accommodate Harris, who never appeared for England again.

One difficulty with assessing Matthews is reconciling the effusive praise of the press with the actions of the national selectors. It also has to be said that defenders did not look forward to playing against him.

wm442433 and Ariaga II repped this.
  19. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I've noticed it's a favorite pastime of the press to compare Finney unfavorably to Matthews.

The omission of Matthews in the early 50s can probably be attributed to ageism. In retrospect it makes the selectors look incompetent, but they probably thought a 35+ year player was on the verge of retirement, anyway, and wasn't worth investing on.

Matthews also had a couple of more quiet games in 48-49, so I wasn't surprised he got dropped (TBH I wasn't expecting to see him in my rankings again). After that they bring him back as part of the 1950-panic, and then the Matthews-final and ensuing Indian summer forces his return to the NT. Maybe the aging and relative fading of Finney had something to do with it, too.

You raise an interesting point about player perception. I wonder if there are other players in history with a strong difference of opinion between press/public and those inside the game? It might even be linked to the "retirement overhypes" effect.

peterhrt repped this.
  20. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    1956-1957:

This is the first year where I'll have use of actual seasonal BdO votes (I believe). I'll make comments when my results differ strongly from the official votes.

Hungary:

Before I get to that, though, let's pick up from where we left off last time. As was already mentioned, Hungary improved significantly in late 56. The limited sources I had seemed to indicate Puskas and Kocsis were playing well, but IMO not enough to signify their high standing in the 56 votes. So I still maintain the opinion the first votes were more over-all reputation than seasonal achievements.

Contemporary narrative will maintain the 56 uprising did in the Arynscapat, but it looks to me like they had already passed their peak. That's not to say the team wouldn't have been better if the defectors were still there. After the NT returns from their hiatus they lose to Norway...

Bozsik and Grosics are the ones who came off the best in the last internationals of the golden team, but I've omitted them due to their low number of league appearances. I think Grosics was punished somehow for political reasons. This is the second time that's happened. He was dropped from the NT as a scapegoat after the 54 final.

England:

I can feel the surprise and amazement the contemporary press must have felt for Stanley Matthews, because I'm feeling it. I was sure he had made his last appearance in my rankings, but here he is again, the best player and star for England at age 43. His late 56 form probably helped in part to him winning the top prize in the first BdO, but I don't rank him quite that high. Just one last appearance before he finally rides off into the sunset.

Of the other England players, I'm going to guess their 57 BdO-votes are based on something that happens in the fall, because no way would I rank them that high. Wright is as solid as ever, but Edwards is more of a squad player who shines occasionally. Taylor and Byrne haven't come off as any different than the average England FB or CF. In the European Cup United are distinctly outshined by the Madrid players. After they're eliminated, the report offers comfort: "there is always next year". If only... as it is, the trio have one year left to earn their high reputation.

Spain:

Madrid offers a useful segue into the big news of the season, which is the rise of a new super team... or is it? Spain have finally gotten their paperwork in order, and are ready to introduce their new forward pairing. The combination of Di Stefano and Kubala offers immediate dividends, as the team smashes Holland 5-1. The reports are overwhelming in their praise. Also making a discreet debut in the same match is one Luis Suarez, who later proceeds to combine with Di Stefano to crush Belgium 5-0. Of the other players, Gento starts off as a typical Spanish "only a good club player", but improves as the season progresses. The team is said to have a splendid horizon in the World Cup. So what happens?

Unfortunately for Spain, between the two results is their first qualifier game against Switzerland, the type of game where a beast-level defensive and especially goalkeeper performance contains the Spanish all-star attack to a draw. This means the team is already with their backs to the wall against Scotland, and it seems like they capitulated under the pressure. The Barcelona-based papers blame the poor performance on the inability of Di Stefano and Kubala to fit into the same team. Makes sense, right? Except the more neutral (I hope) British press disagrees. They say the Madrid contingent of ADS and Gento were the best players, and it was the Barca-pair Kubala and Suarez who bottled it. In one last plot twist Di Stefano and Kubala manage to combine perfectly to crush Scotland in the return match. It's too late, though, they were as good as eliminated after the first leg.

So what can we make of this? Non-Catalans would probably free Di Stefano of blame for the result. Kubala has the unlucky distinction of having failed in two key games for two different qualifiers now. More than anything I think this story shows how cutthroat the old qualifiers were. There really was no room for error at all. Despite the slip-ups, I think all the Spain stars did enough to earn their spot on my list. It'll be interesting to see how the team progresses from here. The Spanish attitude to their NT is probably encapsulated by a report of the Holland game that says Di Stefano won this particular duel over Kubala...

Others:

While Spanish football's (or rather Real and Barca's) profile seems to be clearly increasing, Serie A seems to be on a slight decline compared to its early 50s peak. Looking at BdO and CDO rankings, I don't think anyone from Italy needs to be included, though Julinho, Schiaffino and Ocwirk were the closest to making it in.

Unfortunately my Eastern European sources still range from slim to none, and that includes coverage of the Olympics. The USSR remains a formidable team, though, with Yashin and Netto the best in their position. Streltsov seems like the third major star (thanks a lot for the 0-10, BTW).

Bulgaria seem oddly highly rated from the reports I've read, sort of a Hungary-lite. Kolev and Bozhkov made it to the 56 BdO thanks to single voters, but they do seem to have a reputation that suggests the high ranking was merited.

One recent contender that's in heavy decline is Yugoslavia. Most of the early-50s generation is gone now, but they're still good enough for a now traditional thrashing of Italy, set up by Milutinovic. Beara is probably their most consistent player, though.

South America has a fairly high profile Copa, with a number of major stars making claims for inclusion. Interestingly, Angelillo comes off as clearly third best of the Trio Del Muerte. Djalma and Rossi come off well (see the CA-ratings thread). Didi has to play second fiddle to Sivori in the rankings, but comes off very well in other internationals. Garrincha makes his entrance to impress occasionally, but isn't worth a spot just yet.

Players completing the list are the "new Kopa" Piantoni and two British stars in Charles and Blanchflower.

Blanchflower, Danny (Northern Ireland)
    Bozhkov, Stefan (Bulgaria)
    Charles, John (Wales)
    Corbatta, Oreste Omar (Argentina)
    Didi (Brazil)
    Di Stefano, Alfredo (Argentina/Spain)
    Edwards, Duncan (England)
    Gento, Francisco (Spain)
    Kolev, Ivan (Bulgaria)
    Kopa, Raymond (France)
    Kubala, Laszlo (Hungary/Spain)
    Matthews, Stanley (England)
    Milutinovic, Milos (Yugoslavia)
    Netto, Igor (USSR)
    Piantoni, Roger (France)
    Rossi, Nestor (Argentina)
    Santos, Djalma (Brazil)
    Sivori, Omar (Argentina)
    Streltsov, Eduard (USSR)
    Suarez, Luis (Spain)
    Wright, Billy (England)
    Yashin, Lev (USSR)

TotS:
    Yashin
    D. Santos
    Charles
    Wright
    Rossi
    Netto
    Kopa
    Streltsov
    Di Stefano
    Sivori
    Kubala

Gento leads the charge off the bench. I originally included him in the first 11, but BdO votes made me pick Kubala and Streltsov ahead of him. Corbatta and Didi are possibilities.

Top 3:
    1. Di Stefano
    2. Sivori
    3. Kopa

As you can see from the 57 BdO-votes, this season is a complete slam dunk for ADS, but the other spots are pretty much up for grabs. The votes seem to favor Djalma and Rossi as the best Copa players, but I think Sivori as the attacker and big superstar is a safer bet for a top 3 spot.

Notes:

-Real Madrid's one possible weakness is said to be over-elaboration. If only they had a Puskas or Kocsis to make their play truly great. If only...

-In case you didn't think Di Stefano was versatile enough, he's registered as Spain's back-up goalie in case the first choice is injured during a game. Looks like Pele didn't have a monopoly in that area.

Titanlux, Gregoriak and EnnatzIsTheMan repped this.
  21. EnnatzIsTheMan

Meidericher Spielverein
    Mar 16, 2018
    #2021 EnnatzIsTheMan, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Quite surprising that bulgaria is rated that high by the press, similar goes for eric batty's top XI in the 1960's. Still, I feel like they achieved fairly nothing, or which specific games (NT or club) would you refer to when justifying their ranking above international top players like julinho, schiaffino (also don't know which are the CDO votes you are refering to here?) and some other omissions?

In addition, it would be quite interesting to know if your brazilian source already mentions the wonderboy named pelé here anywhere before july?

EDIT: Also what about Tom Finney? Did he have any impressive internationals at all (his league form seems to be quite good)?

msioux75 repped this.
  22. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Kolev was also an international top player (BdO-worthy). He just didn't have the luxury of playing for the top teams. Like many Eastern European players, his online reputation is close to zilch, mostly because there aren't any Bulgarians around to violently advocate for him. There aren't any particular games where he stood out, just whenever I find a match report they either single out Kolev and/or Bozhkov.The Olympics also traditionally included a player or two who made the real BdO, even if it wasn't a top level competition.

As for why Bulgaria wasn't more successful, your guess is as good as mine. I don't mean they'd be challengers for top honors or anything. Just with the number of players that keep getting praise as individuals, you'd think they'd be able to put together a winning side. It's a footballing paradox that occasionally pops up in my research (including Bulgaria the following decade). I guess a good comparison in recent decades would be something like Serbia (and Russia and Turkey to a degree), who have playing material that one would think would earn them way better results.

I typoed CDS. I meant Corriere dello Sport. The players who do well in the CDS-rankings don't appear in BdO, and vice versa, so I didn't feel compelled to include anybody.

I haven't checked, but I assume Pele has already been mentioned several times. The Brazilian papers have so much football coverage even average players can score thousands of search results. That also makes it impossible to find out who were domestically the best players, unless I happen to get lucky.

Finney hasn't stood out at international level lately. Since he's getting on in years, I figured he's past his prime by now.

Gregoriak repped this.
  23. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    He was the Football Writers' Association player of the year this season (English league players only). He also won the award in 1954.

Ariaga II repped this.
  24. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re England, not sure Edwards is getting nearly enough credit, he played most (if not all England's games this season) and was regarded as one of the country's best players and while United may have lost to an excellent Real Madrid in the EC semis, they dominated the English League and won by a distance and nearly won the double but lost in the FA Cup final after losing their keeper after just six minutes. Tommy Taylor was United's star forward plus he scored ten international goals for England so in my view definitely warrants a mention and possible top ten.

Re Sivori and the Argentines this gets tricky and has discussed previously if looking at 56-57 season.

Basically in 57 Sivori and some others who left (Angels with Dirty Faces; along with Maschio and Angellilo) after winning the Copa America in style, which was just a handful of games in early 57, the played no more club games as they secured lucrative moves abroad so would be hard to put in a 56-57 Ballon d'or list up high purely based on just a few CA games along and almost no club football.

I would argue the Argentine's who would warrant a higher place than the Angel's who had a full League campaign and good Copa America, are Nestor Rossi and Corbatta, not the Angels who player pretty much zero league games and a handful of CA games.

25. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I noticed at league level he has some of his best seasons during this time.

Yeah, I'm trying to balance my own research with the official BdO results. Taking into account the fact the actual voters were more knowledgeable on the era than I am, Taylor probably deserves a top 10 spot (I'd swap out Piantoni in that case) and Wright and Edwards top 5, even if my own research doesn't back that up. Assuming they are there based on the 56-57 season, and not something that happened right before the votes. I checked England's fall-57 reports, and the three didn't stand out more than they did this season (Wright more than the other two, though).

As for the Angels, my system is such that the achievements of the completed SA-season count for the following year's results. So Sivori has his 56-season to go with his Copa achievements.