Historic World Wide Balon d'Or 23 player short lists

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Tom Stevens, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    @frasermc what do you know about Willie McStay? Is putting him as a top three player in the world in 1926 a bridge to far?

2. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

This is the year where things really start to pick up in my opinion, with many candidates for the 23 that can't make the list. The Mitropa Cup is starting and Italy is emerging as equal to the Czechs, Hungary, and Austria who are all improving still. Scotland still has a few more years on top but England is now challenging them and Wales generation of top players are still going. Argentina now asserts itself as Uruguay's equal as well.

Baloncieri, Adolfo (Torino, Italy)
    Brown, George (Huddersfield Town, England)
    Carricaberry, Alfredo (San Lorenzo, Argentina)
    Davies, Len (Cardiff City, Wales)
    Dean, Dixie (Everton, England)
    Ferguson, Hughie (Cardiff City)
    Gallacher, Hughie (Newcastle, Scotland)
    Goodall, Roy (Huddersfield, England)
    Hill, Jack (Burnley, England)
    Kohut, Vilmos (Ferencvaros, Hungary)
    Kolenatý, František (Sparta Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Libonatti, Julio (Torino, Italy)
    McGrory, Jimmy (Celtic)
    Monti, Luis (San Lorenzo, Argentina)
    Morton, Alan (Rangers, Scotland)
    Pešek, Karel (Sparta Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Petit, Rene (Real Union)
    Puč, Antonín (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Scarone, Hector (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Schall, Anton (Admira Vienna, Austria)
    Seoane, Manuel (Independiente, Argentina)
    Silny, Josef (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Tarasconi, Domingo (Boca Juniors)

Honorable Mention: Josef Blum, Ignaz Sigl, Johann Klima, Antonín Perner, František Svoboda, Vic Watson, George Camsell, Fred Keenor, Alex Jackson, Hans Kalb, Gino Rossetti, Francisco Gamborena, Arthur Friedenreich, Nilo, Manuel Ferriera, Ludovico Bidoglio, Juan Evaristo

On the continent the Czechs had a great year on multiple levels. For the national an extensive 10 game schedule was played this year, with 7 victories, 3 draws, and 0 defeats with home and away wins over tradition rivals Austria and Hungary. The solid core of aging but still effective halfbacks and fullbacks (Pesek, Kolenatý, Perner) were joined by a new generation of young talented attackers (Puč, Silny, Svoboda) to make an excellent team. On the club side Sparta won the league and the first Mitropa Cup with Pesek and Silny starring. Slavia also preformed well in the Mitropa Cup. Itlay had a strong year led by the Trio of wonders from Torino, who won the Italian title that was later revoked. Austria and Hungary both had mixed results.

In Britain Scotland continued its dominance in the first two games of the home championship before a final confrontation with England in Glascow. At this point Scotland had won all of its last 8 matches by a combined score of 21-1. In front of over 100,000 Scottish fans a star was born as Dixie Dean scored a brace for England to defeat Scotland 2-1 and claim a share of the Home Championship, its only success of the whole decade. It was England's first win over Scotland since 1920 and their first win in Scotland since 1904. Dean was applauded by the Scottish fans after the game. Dean also scored a brace earlier in the tournament vs Wales and was the tournaments top scorer. He then went on England's short tour of Europe and ended the season scoring 11 goals in only 5 games. Scotland's star striker Hughie Gallacher had his legendary season with Newcastle, almost single handedly leading them to the first division title, scoring 39 goals in 41 games for the year. Cardiff's excellent team became the first non English side to win the FA Cup, with the excellent Welsh core joined by prolific Scottish striker Hughie Ferguson. In Scotland Rangers regained the league title and Celtic's goal scoring machine Jimmy McGrory topped the scoring charts with 48 goals in only 33 games and led Celtic to the Scottish Cup title where he scored 9 goals in 6 games.

In South America a number of major happenings occurred in Argentina. For the first time Argentina unified their two leagues into a single unified league. San Lorenzo won the league over Boca Juniors by one point (the two teams were previously in separate league) led by Luis Monti and Alfredo Carricaberry. Both these players would play important roles in Argentina's victory in the 1927 South American Championships. This was Argentina's first major victory over the Scarone/Andrade/Nasazzi Uruguay, which was achieved at a neutral site in Peru.

There were a ton of good players I had to leave out. Winger Ignaz Sigl was seen as nearly as import to Admira's success as Anton Schall and he was a bigger player for the national team at this point. Antonín Perner was a stalwart for the all conquering Czech and Sparta teams. Fred Keenor was the captain of the historic Cardiff FA Cup winning team. Gino Rossetti was a major part of the famous Trio of Wonders that dominated Italy. Alex Jackson led Huddersfield to second in the large and was still a major part of the still successful Scottish team. Ludovico Bidoglio and Juan Evaristo were likely seen as the top players at theri positions in South America after their excellent seasons with Boca Junior and ever present roles in the national team.

There were many with top three qualifications as well. Some who did not make the top three this year would make it in many other years. The three most legendary British centerforwards of the time all had one of their best seasons ever. Carricaberry was the top scorer and star for the first team to ever win a unified Argentinian League and then went on to lead hos country to its first victory over Uruguay since its rise to power, scoring 4 goals in 5 games for Argentina. Silny was every bit as important to Sparta and Czechoslovakia as Pesek.

Perú FC, AD78 and comme repped this.
  3. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Nice to see Rene Petit in some lists :)

4. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The impression I have gotten is that he was viewed as the second best player in the Spanish league during the 20s after Samiter.

msioux75 repped this.
  5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Personally I think that Camsell has to be in there for this season. I know it was in the Second Division but he scored 59 goals to win them the league. I'm not sure at this time as well quite what the disparity would be between the two leagues. Further to my previous observations, I think the Second Division would still have been one of the best leagues in the world at the time.

Tom Stevens repped this.
  6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I just had a look in the book "Association Football" from 1960 and in it there is a fairly lengthy section about the best players in each position. It's primarily centred on the pre-WW2 era, but McStay wasn't mentioned at all. Not sure that that is conclusive but I wasn't aware of him being regarded as operating at quite so lofty a level.

Tom Stevens repped this.
  7. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #57 AD78, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    I know he was still pretty young in 1924 but I always gelt Petrone had a good shout for top 3, top scorer at both the SA Champs and also the Olympics that year, 14 goals across the two competitions. There is a pretty good case for a Uruguay 1-2-3.

Keep up the good work, the depth to this is very impressive.

Tom Stevens repped this.
  8. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    To be perfectly honest I'm not 100% sure. His main attributes - strong, clean tackler, fearless, never ducked out of a challenge - could all be used to describe the vast amount of footballers at that time in the UK.

He was physically very strong and very competitive making him an ideal captain for both Celtic and Scotland. He was also pretty decent with the ball at his feet making him a very good right back at the time but I'm unsure as to whether he could be described as being one of the best three players in the world at any given time.

Tom Stevens and comme repped this.
  9. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have read a little more about Hirzer last night. I will probably move him into McStay's spot. The thing I guess I did not realize about Hirzer was how much of a abnormal talent he was in the Italian League. He was most well known for his speed and his dribbling.

10. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think Dean has a good case for being top for both 1927 and 1928, 12 in his first 5 games for England and also 36 goals in all competitions for Everton in 26-27 season and the big season of 60 league goals the following season (67 in all comps) of which a number would have been in 1927 strengthening his case for that year.

Personally I would have Andrade for 1924 and 1926 and Dean for 1927 and 1928, and probably Scarone for 1925.

11. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #61 Tom Stevens, Jan 15, 2016

Braine, Raymond (Beerschot, Belguim)
    Cherro, Roberto (Boca Juniors, Argentina)
    Ferreira, Manuel (Estudiantes, Argentina)
    Gestido, Álvaro (Penarol, Uruguay)
    Jackson, Alex (Huddersfield Town, Scotland)
    James, Alex (Preston North End, Scotland)
    Levratto, Virgilio (Genoa, Italy)
    McGrory, Jimmy (Celtic, Scotland)
    Orsi, Raimundo (Independiente, Argentina)
    Petrone, Pedro (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Platko, Franz (Barcleona)
    Samiter, Josep (Barcelona)
    Stábile, Guillermo (Huracan)
    Takács, József (Frenencvaros, Hungary)
    Turay, József (Frenencvaros, Hungary)
    Wesely, Ferinand (Rapid Vienna, Austria)

Honorable Mention: Ignaz Sigl, Warney Cresswell, Arthur Rigby, Jimmy McMullan, Jimmy Gibson, Hughie Gallacher, George Brown, David Meikljohn, Bob McPhail, Vilmos Kohut, Angelo Schiavio, Antonio Janni, Gino Rossetti, José Nasazzi, Andrade, Jose Leonadro, Luis Monti, Domingo Tarasconi

In Britain there are a couple of major events. First is Dixie Dean's 60 goal title winning season for Everton. Huddersfield Town was the first team to threaten to win the double in the inter war period, as they held 1st place well into April and reached the FA Cup final, with Alex Jackson again starring, scoring a very impressive 24 goals from the wing. The Home Championship started as a muddled affair with Ireland and Wales both outperforming Scotland and England. In the final game of the tournament Scotland cut England to pieces in the famous Wimbley Wizards game, defeating their rivals 5-1 in London. Alex James (brace), Alex Jackson (hat trick), and Alan Morton (3 assists) were the stars, the sentiment has been expressed that England were lucky to only concede 5. In Scotland Rangers had a historic year winning the double and finally winning the elusive Scottish Cup in dramatic fashion, beating rivals Celtic 4-0 in the final.

It was a big year for the continent as well, with the Mitropa Cup and Olympics to be played. In Hungary Ferencvaros won their third straight league title, paced by Takas' 31 goals in 22 games. Ferencvaros also won the Mitropa Cup in dominating fashion, outscoring opponents 26-8 in the tournament. Takacs was again star and top scorer with 10 goals in 6 games. Hungary had a forgettable international year with Takacs failing to repeat his club form, scoring only once in 5 games. The Czechs had another very strong international year winning 5 and losing only once. In Austria Anton Schall had a historically great goalscoring season (36 goals in 24 games) leading Admira to their second straight title. Strangely he was only capped once for Austria, who had a good international year. Italy were the big story as the new emerging power in the region. Torino won their second straight title on the backs of their great inside trio. The leader of the team Baloncieri also starred for the national team, scoring 8 in 11 games and being one of the top players at the Olympics. He was the central hub of a very offensive, un-Italian, national team that scored an amazing 42 goals in 12 games.

In South America the impressive domestic accomplishment were likely overshadowed by the Olympic campaigns of Uruguay and Argentina. Huracan won the second unified Argentina League over more fancied sides like Boca Junior, Independiente, and San Lorenzo. Guillermo Stábile was the star of the team scoring 28 goals, although no Huracan players were major features in the national team. Likewise in Uruguay Penarol won the first totally reunified league, far clear of their rivals Nacional, despite that Nacional had nearly the entire national team on its roster, while Penarol had only one major contributor, Gestido. Penarol impressively won 3-0 over Huracan in the Copa Aldo in Argentina. In the Olympics it is a bit tough to pick out the top preformers. Uruguay had a very impressive road to the finals, beating three solid European teams, Netherlands, German, and Italy. The final ended in a 1-1 draw and Uruguay won the replay 2-1. Uruguay rotated its whole front line making it hard to single out a star player. Both Petrone and Scarone only player 3 of the 5 games with both having important contributions in the games they played. Petrone scored a hat trick vs Germany and the only goal in the first leg of the final. Scarone scored in all three games he played including the winning goals vs Italy and Argentina (the tournament winning goal vs Argentina was an impressive long range effort). For Argentina the offense preformed impressively, but that seems to be in large part because of the easy road to the final with games against the United States, Belguim, and Eygpt.

I ended up leaving out a number of deserving players, especially on the British side with players like McMullan, Brown, and Meikljohn all seeming very deserving.

The top three was again crowded. I feel like Jackson and Dean are for sure, even if that is very British centric. The continent had multiple great performances from Schall, Takacs, and Baloncieri. The thing that tipped me in the Italian's favor was his excellent international performance, whereas Schall and Takacs did not make an impact there. One of players I was closest to putting in the top 3 was Morton, but I feel like that would have to be at the expense of Jackson, who was also great for club and country, as 3 British players is too many with so many good performances from the rest of the world. I really wanted to include a Uruguayan player in the top 3 as their Olympic run was very impressive defeating four good teams. With the rotation of the forwards, the injury to Andrade, and Nassazi's missed time due to a sending off there is no clear candidate, seems to be more of a full team effort.

Perú FC, AD78, Pipiolo and 1 other person repped this.
  12. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I personally think McGrory has a good shout for 1927. 8 hat tricks in total over the season. A season so strong (along with the 27/28 season) that convinced Arsenal to attempt to make him the highest paid player in the UK. His staggering amount of goals is even more remarkable when you consider that Celtic were in a period of decline over much of the mid to late 1920's.

AD78 and Tom Stevens repped this.
  13. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with the sentiment, he had an amazing year, I just don't known who he would bump out of the top three.

14. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Adcock, Hugh (Leicester, England)
    Blenkinsop, Ernie (Sheffield Wednesday, England)
    Camsell, George (Middlesbrough, England)
    Evaristo, Juan (Boca Junior, Argentina)
    González, Aurelio (Olimpia, Paraguay)
    Halliday, David (Sunderland)
    Horvath, Hans (Rapid Vienna, Austria)
    Ivar, Istan (Ujpest, Hungary)
    Juve, Jørgen (Lyn, Norway)
    Leinberger, Ludwig (Furth, Germany)
    Meikljohn, David (Rangers, Scotland)
    Pitto, Alfredo (Bologna, Italy)
    Plánička, František (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Rossetti, Gino (Torino, Italy)
    Rubio, Gaspar (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Schiavio, Angelo (Bologna, Italy)
    Zamora, Ricardo (RDC Espanol, Spain)

Honorable Mention: Roman Schramseis, Franz Weselik, David Jack, Billy Walker, Jimmy Flemming, Alex James, Joseph Nibloe, Alec Cheyne, Georg Frank, Jenő Kalmár, Giuseppe Meazza, Julio Libonatti, Francisco Varallo, Ángel Bossio, Russinho

In Britain Scotland delivered on the attacking promise they had showed in the Wembly Wizards game, winning all 3 of the 1929 home championship games scoring 12 goals. Gallacher, James, Jackson, and Morton combined to form an irresistible front line. Sheffielod Wednesday won the English League, while George Camsell had an amazing calendar year for England scoring 11 times in 4 games in 1929.

On the continent, unfancied Ujpest (3rd place in Hungarian league) comfortably won the Mitrpoa Cup, led by Istan Ivar. This would be a sign of things to come as multiple club titles would follow. Spain won all three of its games including becoming the first continental side to beat England. Germany also appeared to be catching up to its continental counterparts, beating Italy in Italy and drawing with Scotland. Italy, Austria, Hungary, and the Czechs all had middling international years.

In South America Argentina would get revenge for the 1928 Olympic final loss defeating Uruguay in the South American Championships. Also surprising was Paraguay achieving second place over Uruguay, led by the tournaments top scorer Aurelio Gonzales, who scored 2 in the 3-0 victory over Uruguay.

The top three this year was more of a search for good candidates than being overwhelmed by them as in the past two years. Zamora was part of an excellent Spanish national team and led unfancied RDC Espanol to the Copa del Rey, still the most important title in Spain. Morton gets the nod as the Scottish rep for their great attacking play and Rangers utterly dominating season, winning the league by 16 points! This was also Morton's best domestic goalscoring season. The last candidate was tough to find a well qualified player. Ferreira was excellent for Argenitna but Estudientes finished 10th in the league. Ivar is a decent shout as well despite placing third in the league. Camesell also deserves some consideration but if I am being consistent his goal scoring run is split between 1929 and 1930, his team was also regulated at the end of the season with not overly impressive goalscoring stats for him.

Perú FC and comme repped this.
  15. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Looking for any more input on possible changes before a revised list and summary is posted for the whole 1920s.

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I thought given my earlier comment about McStay that it might be interesting to include the players who were mentioned by Ivan Sharpe as the best in his articles about various positions.

Interesting to note that in 1960 he still regarded "the ten years preceding the first world war ... as the golden age of football".

I will just mention the players by name because these sections go on for 40 or so pages and then if there are particular details wanted then I can try and provide them. It's not in any order, just a long discussion, so the ones first aren't necessarily the best.

Goalkeepers

Sam Hardy
    Elisha Scott
    Rudi Hiden
    Ricardo Zamora
    Beara
    Jerry Dawson
    Leigh Richmond Roose
    Frank Swift
    Bert Trautmann
    Harry Hibbs
    Gil Merrick
    Ted Taylor
    Howard Matthews
    Jack Harding
    Albert Gray
    Ted Ditchburn
    Joe Glossop
    Jack Whitley
    Bert Williams
    Ted Sagar
    Sam Bartram
    R.G. Brebner
    Howard Baker

msioux75 repped this.
  17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Sorry Tom, hopefully I'm not spamming the thread (please let me know if I am and I'll put this somewhere else).

Full-Backs (by which he means defenders)

Bob Campbell
    Jock Marshall
    Jock Hutton
    George Young
    Howard Spencer
    Bob Crompton
    Herbert Smith
    Jesse Pennington
    Laurie Scott
    George Male
    David Taylor
    James Sharp
    Jimmy Blair
    Dicky Downs
    Karl Sesta
    Leslie Hofton
    Moses Russell
    AM Walters
    PM Walters
    Alf Ramsey
    Sam Barkas
    Tom Cooper
    Ernest Blenkinsop
    Bert Sproston
    George Hardwick
    John Carey
    CB Fry
    Bill McCracken
    Jose Emilio Santamaria
    William Martinez
    Victor Rodriguez Andrade

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Centre-halfs

John Charles
    Harry Johnston
    Billy Wright
    Stan Cullis
    Billy Wedlock
    Johnnie Holt
    Charlie Roberts
    Ernest Needham
    Ernst Ocwirk
    Frank Barson
    Joe McCall
    Alex Raisbeck
    Andy Aitken
    Nils Middelboe
    Jack Hill
    Tom Bradshaw
    Tom Griffiths
    Jimmy Seddon
    Tom Boyle
    Colin Veitch
    Davie Meiklejohn
    Neil McBain
    Jimmy Harrop
    Fred Keenor
    Jack Barker
    Neil Franklin
    Tom Wilson
    Charles Thomson
    Frank Buckley
    Herbert Roberts

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Wing halves

Matt Busby
    George Richards
    Norman Bullock
    George Brown
    Jimmy Gibson
    Neil Gibson
    Jack Crayston
    Frank Cuggy
    Tom Galley
    Jackie Bray
    Frank Soo
    Henry Cockburn
    Jimmy McMullen
    Charlie Jones
    Ken Willingham
    Bill Shankly
    Peter McWilliam
    Andy Ducat
    Clifford Britton
    Bob Glendinning
    William Hardy
    David Steele
    Harry Healless
    Willis Edwards
    Ronnie Burgess
    Bill Nicholson
    Alex Forbes
    Ray Barlow
    Ronnie Clayton
    Duncan Edwards
    Wilf Copping
    Kenneth Hunt
    Ben Warren
    Tom Brittleton
    Arthur Grimsdell
    Joe Mercer
    Ron Flowers

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Outside forwards

Billy Meredith
    Stanley Matthews
    Alan Morton
    Alex Jackson
    Joe Hulme
    Julinho
    Billy Bassett
    WC Athersmith
    Fred Spiksley
    John Rutherford
    Jack Sharp
    Fred Pentland
    Jocky Simpson
    Charles Wallace
    Alfed Quantrill
    Sam Chedgzoy
    Sammy Crooks
    Bobby Langton
    Willie Waddell
    Jimmy Delaney
    George Wall
    Jimmy Dimmock
    Fred Tunstall
    Eric Brook
    Cliff Bastin
    Billy Liddell
    Johnny Hancocks
    Jack Rowley
    Jimmy Mullen
    Harold Hardman
    Fred Walden
    Ted Vizard
    Bobby Mitchell
    Tom Finney

21. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Definitely do not mind, excellent info.

22. elegos7

elegos7 Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Hi Tom,

I have not studied the period in great detail, but have seen the opinions of many posters, and based on these, I would include the following players in the Top 23 (and sometimes in the Top3):

1920: Josep Samitier (Copa del Rey with Barcelona, Olympic silver medal).

Orth (MTK) could be moved into the Top3.

1922: Alan Morton (Rangers), Charlie Buchan (Sunderland)

Orth (MTK) could be moved into the Top3 once again.

1923:

Alan Morton (Rangers) could be moved into the Top3.

1925:

Alan Morton (Rangers) and Manuel Seoane could be moved into the Top3.

You never mentioned the pro league in the USA. This year Archie Stark (Bethlehem Steel) scored 67 league goals, he could be a candidate for the Top23.

1927:

McGrory (Celtic) could be moved into the Top3.

1928: Gallacher (Newcastle, Scotland)

There is a spelling mistake: Avar, Istvan (not Ivar)

I am looking forward to your revisions.

Also, do not you plan to go back in time, and do the same Top 23 from 1904, when the FIFA was formed? What if they started a worldwide 23 man Balon d'Or short list and nominated 3 finalists already in their first year?

23. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #73 Tom Stevens, Jan 15, 2016
    Revised Lists

Braun, Jozsef (MTK, Hungary)
    Buchan, Charlie (Sunderland, England)
    Calomino, Pedro (Boca Juniors, Argentina)
    Coppe, Robert (Union SG, Belgium)
    Foglino, Alfredo (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Friedenreich, Arthur (Paulistano)
    Gordan, Jimmy (Rangers, Scotland)
    Hardy, Sam (Aston Villa, England)
    Janda, Antonín (Sparta Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Kelly, Bob (Burnley, England)
    Konrad, Kalman (Amateur Vienna)
    Morris, Fred (West Brom, England)
    Neco (Corinthians)
    Orth, György (MTK, Hungary)
    Pennington, Jesse (West Brom, England)
    Piendibene, José (Penarol, Uruguay)
    Romano, Ángel (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Sesúmaga, Felix (Barcelona, Spain)
    Stuhlfauth, Heinrich (Nurnberg, Germany)
    Swartenbroeks, Armand (Daring, Belgium)
    Swatosch, Ferdinand (Simmeringer, Austria)
    Zamora, Ricardo (Barcelona, Spain)

By Country: England (5), Hungary (3), Uruguay (3), Spain (3), Belgium (2), Brazil (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Germany (1), Austria (1), Scotland (1)

By League: England (5), Uruguay (3), Hungary (2), Belgium (2), Sao Paulo (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Spain (2), Austria (2), Germany (1), Argentina (1), Scotland (1)

Archibald, Sandy (Rangers, Scotland)
    Cevenini, Luigi (Internazionale, Italy)
    Cunningham, Andy (Rangers, Scotland)
    Ferguson, Hughie (Motherwell)
    Friedenreich, Arthur (Paulistano)
    Grimsdell, Arthur (Tottenham, England)
    Janda, Antonín (Sparta Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Kelly, Bob (Burnley, England)
    Kuthan, Richard (Rapid Vienna, Austria)
    Libonatti, Julio (Newell's Old Boys, Argentina)
    McMullan, Jimmy (Park Thistle, Scotland)

Piendibene, José (Penarol, Uruguay)
    Schlosser, Imre (MTK, Hungary)
    Smith, Joe (Bolton)
    Tesoriere, Américo (Boca Junior, Argentina)
    Uridil, Josef (Rapid Vienna, Austria)
    Walker, Billy (Aston Villa, England)
    Zabaleta, Albérico (Racing)

By Country: England (5), Scotland (5), Argentina (3), Hungary (3), Czechoslovakia (2), Austria (2), Uruguay (1), Brazil (1), Italy (1)

By League: England (5), Scotland (5), Argentina (3), Austria (3), Hungary (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Uruguay (1), Sao Paulo (1), Italy (1)

Alcántara, Paulino (Barcelona, Spain)
    Amilcar (Corinthians, Brazil)
    Beer, Richard (Vienna Sport, Austria)
    Bromilow, Tom (Liverpool, England)
    Chambers, Harry (Liverpool, England)
    Cringan, William (Celtic, Scotland)
    Dvořáček, Jan (Sparta Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Fortes, Agostinho (Fluminense, Brazil)
    Gallacher, Patrick (Celtic, Ireland)
    Kalb, Hans (Nurnberg, Germany)
    Molnár, György (MTK, Hungary)
    Neco (Corinthians, Brazil)
    Samitier, Josep (Barcelona, Spain)
    Scott, Elisha (Liverpool)
    Seoane, Manuel (Independiente)
    Stephenson, Clem (Huddersfield Town)
    Walker, Duncan (St. Mirren)
    Wilson, Andy (Middlesbrough, Scotland)
    Zamora, Ricardo (Barcelona, Spain)

By Country: England (4), Scotland (3), Czechoslovakia (3), Spain (3), Brazil (3), Hungary (2), Ireland (2), Austria (1), Argentina (1), Germany (1)

By League: England (6), Scotland (3), Czechoslovakia (3), Spain (3), Hungary (2), Sao Paulo (2), Austria (1), Argentina (1), Rio de Janeiro (1), Germany (1)

Amilcar (Corinthians, Brazil)
    Andrade, Jose Leonadro (Bella Vista, Uruguay)

Carricaberry, Alfredo (San Lorenzo)
    Chambers, Harry (Liverpool, England)
    De Vecchi, Renzo (Genoa, Italy)
    Jack, David (Bolton)
    Longworth, Ephraim (Liverpool, England)
    Molnár, György (MTK, Hungary)
    Nasazzi, José (Bella Vista, Uruguay)
    Neco (Corinthians, Brazil)
    Petrone, Pedro (Charley FC, Uruguay)
    Scarone, Héctor (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Scott, Elisha (Liverpool)
    Seddon, Jimmy (Bolton, England)
    Sedláček, Josef (Sparta Pague, Czechoslovakia)
    Tarasconi, Domingo (Boca Juniors, Argentina)
    Wilson, Andy (Middlesbrough, Scotland)

By Country: England (6), Uruguay (4), Hungary (3), Argentina (2), Brazil (2), Scotland (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Italy (1), Ireland (1)

By League: England (8), Uruguay (4), Hungary (3), Argentina (2), Sao Paulo (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Italy (1), Scotland (1)

Abegglen, Max (Grasshopper, Switzerland)
    Andrade, Jose Leonadro (Bella Vista, Uruguay)
    De Vecchi, Renzo (Genoa, Italy)
    Denis, Harry (HBS, Netherlands)
    Gallacher, Hughie (Airdrieonians, Scotland)
    Keenor, Fred (Cardiff, Wales)
    Kock, Rudolf (Solna, Sweden)
    Petit, Rene (Real Union)
    Ramseyer, Rudolf (Young Boys, Switzerland)
    Romano, Ángel (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Russell, Moses (Plymouth, Wales)
    Rydell, Sven (Örgryte, Sweden)
    Scarone, Héctor (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Stephenson, Clem (Huddersfield Town, England)
    Wieser, Gustav (Amateur Vienna, Austria)

By Country: Uruguay (5), England (3), Wales (3), Switzerland (2), Sweden (2), Scotland (2), Hungary (2), Austria (1), Italy (1), France (1), Netherlands (1)

By League: England (6), Uruguay (5), Switzerland (2), Sweden (2), Scotland (2), Austria (2), Italy (1), Spain (1), Netherlands (1), Hungary (1)

Andrade, Jose Leonadro (Nacional)
    Errazquin, Juan (Real Union, Spain)
    Friedenreich, Arthur (Paulistano, Brazil)
    Gallacher, Hughie (Airdrieonians, Scotland)
    Gamborena, Francisco (Real Union, Spain)
    Gillespie, Billy (Sheffield United, Ireland)
    Jack, David (Bolton)
    McGrory, Jimmy (Celtic)
    McStay, William (Celtic, Scotland)
    Roberts, Frank, (Manchester City, England)
    Rydell, Sven (Örgryte, Sweden)
    Samiter, Josep (Barcelona, Spain)
    Scarone, Hector (Nacional)

Seoane, Manuel (El Porvenir, Argentina)
    Tunstall, Fred (Sheffield United, England)
    Wadsworth, Sam (Huddersfield, England)

By Country: England (6), Scotland (5), Spain (4), Uruguay (2), Czechoslovakia (1), Hungary (1), Sweden (1), Brazil (1), Argentina (1), Ireland (1)

By League: England (7), Scotland (5), Spain (4), Uruguay (2), Czechoslovakia (1), Hungary (1), Sweden (1), Sao Paulo (1), Argentina (1)

Andrade, Jose Leonadro (Nacional)
    Blum, Josef (First Vienna, Austria)
    Brown, George (Huddersfield Town, England)
    Buchan, Charlie (Arsenal)
    Castro, Hector (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Fogl, Karoly (Ujpest, Hungary)
    Harder, Otto (Hamburg, Germany)
    Hirzer, Ferenc (Juventus)
    Jack, David (Bolton)
    McGrory, Jimmy (Celtic)
    McInally, Tommy (Celtic, Scotland)
    McStay, William (Celtic, Scotland)
    Orsi, Raimundo (Independiente)
    Seoane, Manuel (Independiente)
    Wieser, Gustav (Amateur Vienna, Austria)

By Country: Scotland (5), Uruguay (4), Hungary (4), England (3), Argentina (3), Austria (2), Germany (1), Spain (1)

By League: England (5), Uruguay (4), Argentina (3), Austria (3), Scotland (3), Hungary (2), Italy (1), Spain (1), Germany (1)

Camsell, George (Middlesbrough)
    Carricaberry, Alfredo (San Lorenzo, Argentina)
    Ferguson, Hughie (Cardiff City)
    Hill, Jack (Burnley, England)
    McGrory, Jimmy (Celtic)
    Monti, Luis (San Lorenzo, Argentina)
    Petit, Rene (Real Union)
    Seoane, Manuel (Independiente, Argentina)
    Silny, Josef (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Tarasconi, Domingo (Boca Juniors)

By Country: Argentina (5), Scotland (4), England (4), Czechoslovakia (4), Italy (1), Uruguay (1), France (1), Hungary (1), Wales (1), Austria (1)

By League: England (7), Argentina (4), Czechoslovakia (4), Scotland (2), Italy (2), Uruguay (1), France (1), Hungary (1), Austria (1)

Braine, Raymond (Beerschot, Belguim)
    Gestido, Álvaro (Penarol, Uruguay)
    James, Alex (Preston North End, Scotland)
    Levratto, Virgilio (Genoa, Italy)
    McGrory, Jimmy (Celtic, Scotland)
    Orsi, Raimundo (Independiente, Argentina)
    Platko, Franz (Barcleona)
    Stábile, Guillermo (Huracan)

By Country: Argentina (5), Scotland (4), Uruguay (3), Hungary (3), Italy (2), Austria (2), Czechoslovakia (1), England (1), Spain (1), Belgium (1)

By League: Argentina (4), England (3), Italy (3), Uruguay (3), Spain (2), Hungary (2), Scotland (2), Austria (2), Czechoslovakia (1), Belgium (1)

Adcock, Hugh (Leicester, England)
    Avar, István (Ujpest, Hungary)
    Blenkinsop, Ernie (Sheffield Wednesday, England)
    Camsell, George (Middlesbrough, England)
    Evaristo, Juan (Boca Junior, Argentina)
    González, Aurelio (Olimpia, Paraguay)
    Halliday, David (Sunderland)
    Horvath, Hans (Rapid Vienna, Austria)
    Juve, Jørgen (Lyn, Norway)
    Leinberger, Ludwig (Furth, Germany)
    Pitto, Alfredo (Bologna, Italy)
    Plánička, František (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Rossetti, Gino (Torino, Italy)
    Rubio, Gaspar (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Schiavio, Angelo (Bologna, Italy)

By Country: Scotland (6), Italy (3), England (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Spain (2), Argentina (2), Hungary (2), Austria (1), Paraguay (1), Norway (1), Germany (1)

By League: England (6), Italy (2), Scotland (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Spain (2), Argentina (2), Hungary (2), Austria (1), Paraguay (1), Norway (1), Germany (1)

Perú FC, AD78, frasermc and 2 others repped this.
  24. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My main issue with putting Orth in the top 3 that many times is his record with the national team. He was repeatedly capped less than his teammates Braun and Kertész. There is also the issue that in 1920 and 1922 the team did not preform very well. In 1920 they were 0-1-2, and in 1922 they were 2-5-1 with their only victories against Finland and Poland. They were decent in 1921 and 1923, and were shaping up to have a strong year in 1924 when they lost to Egypt in the Olympics.

25. elegos7

elegos7 Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Thanks for the revised list. You forgot to highlight the Top3 in 1922.
    Also, could you indicate the winner in your opinion in each year?