Hired?

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by Anteaters FC, May 3, 2004.

1. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Sorry if this is in the main thread, but I didn't want to search through 110+ pages...

Has anyone ever gotten hired by another club in CM4? I don't know if it's just that I haven't been at my current club long enough or what, but after some (I think impressive) achievements, the big clubs just aren't interested when I apply. I should say that I have a copy of questionable provenance (got it off eBay).

Any thoughts? I wouldn't mind hearing your stories, even if you can't help me out.

2. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its just one of the many problems with that game that should be resolved in the next.

3. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well first, is it CM4 or CM03/04. When you get fired, it is difficult to catch on at a club with Equal Standing. For Example, getting fired from a Top Level club in Europe say Inter or Barca, you'll more likely have to settle for a job Preventing the relegation of another club. Like going from Barca to Man City, then onto Man Utd. Normally, you step down, then step up once you've proven success at the other lower club. I have yet to switch jobs in 03/04, so maybe its vastly different

4. sammyjankins

sammyjankins Red Card

Oct 20, 2001
    (Dallas Area)
    I remember in the version before CM4 I had several NAtional Team Management jobs, I was coach of Leicester City, took them to Premier League and was in top 3 regularly. I coached Croatia and Nigeria, but with limited games its do or die so its tough to keep a nats job

5. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you can apply for Nat jobs even if it is not your nation? What does it take? I noticed that the italy job opened up while I was playing, but it didn't even give me the option to apply or declare my interest. I figured that I could only go for the US job. Do you need any specific requirements just to apply?

I'm speaking of 03/04 by the way. Can anyone who knows fill men in?

6. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have CM4 so there could be differences. It really depends on your reputation and that of the national side you are trying to coach. It seems that the FIFA rankings in the game are a good proxy for how difficult it is to get and keep a nat coach job. Once I won the champions league, I got offered a variety of nat jobs. The czechs kept asking me as they seemed to go through coachs quickly. Even after winning the league and Europe, I've never been asked to coach any of the top teams as their coaches never seem to get fired in my game.

I took the US job but was stuck playing with the poor team selected by Bruce (which was full of injured MLS rejects for some reason). I won one game, tied one, and lost by pks in 3 games over about a week before getting fired.

The next coach did even worse and has just been fired. I've applied a week ago but haven't gotten picked yet with friendlies and WCQ starting soon.

7. sammyjankins

sammyjankins Red Card

Oct 20, 2001
    (Dallas Area)
    The times I coached National teams you were able to call in other players, even manage the u-20s, etc.

Another thing, when you start a game you can take over a country from the start. Just select a player off a team like say Donovan from San Jose, go to the link that say he's American which will take you to team USA, and click take job or whatever and your the US coach. Just sucks cause you have to wait for a club job to open up, and since the nats only have a few games a year it gets kinda boring waiting.

8. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the team had already been picked or something. I never could figure out why I couldn't swap out players. I have no idea why obvious good Americans were left off the squad but then again maybe it was just being realistic. ;)

I know you can select national team coach from the beginning but that is boring and I like the challenge of getting the job based on club mgmt.

BTW, does the team ever go into WCQ without a coach? I'm asking because the US job has now been open for 2 months and WCQ starts in a week. I'll see next session but it seems like another CM4 oddity.

9. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    In my experience (CM 03/04) it's easy to get offers from clubs. I've played 10+ season games, starting with scandinavian crap teams, D3 level, and trying to get them to CL (and winning). After advancing to D1 I get offers from most domestic teams, after winning championship and doing ok in european cup play (6-7 seasons into the game) I get offers from mid-table EPL teams if I apply. By then my reputation usually is "very good". I imagine it's a lot harder to get offers if you start managing an EPL or Serie A club.

BTW, so far I've turned every offer down. I'm just checking my market value.

10. iansfavouritecopilot

Jun 21, 2002
    Hartlepool, UK
    Couple of times, but it's hardly a regular thing. Getting the national job is no problem, but getting a bigger club to take a bit of a risk in appointing you is pretty tough.

11. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was finally able to apply for the spanish national team job:D! I didn't get it, which is great because I've simply put so much into Barca that I don't want to leave the team anyway. It's nice to know that I can though.

12. sammyjankins

sammyjankins Red Card

Oct 20, 2001
    (Dallas Area)
    Actually man one cool thing about the game, unlike in real life, a coach can control a club and a country at the same time, so if you had gotten the Spain job you would've been able to do both. Yet another pimpin aspect of the game

13. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet! That is very good to know.

14. junkie_xl

junkie_xl New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    nyny
    did u guys apply all the official patches? it was a known bug in the original release. you couldnt get hired even if you won cl for 10 yrs in a row.

go to si site and make sure u dl the latest patch.