Hindsight isn't 2020 - The 2019-20 Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mom, I told you not mix red with white colors in the wash

2. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ronald Koeman spotted at El Prat airport...

Last time he coached in La Liga, it was with Valencia. Finished 15th in the league, only two points above relegation, and finished bottom of their CL group.

But I'll admit he's grown as a manager and has turned the Dutch NT around. The team he took over failed to qualify for WC 2018, and now he has them playing some of the best international soccer. Finalist in the Nations League last year and wrecked Germany 4-2 in Euro qualifying.

I just don't want Bartomeu making decisions anymore, even if they're good ones.

3. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Setien is out.

I don't really blame the guy. He was mostly weak and clueless and not what we needed this season. He was offered a dream job under bad circumstances and super high pressure. He never really had a chance to shape this team into anything resembling the Betis team that really shook us a couple years back.

At least under Setien we got proof that Puig is ready for more first-team minutes.

Now go back to the farm, Quique.

4. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Messi should just drop a official bombshell before the imbecile board meets otherwise Bartomeu will stick around making multiple disastrous choices. I mean EVERYONE already knew/know Setien is out! We want other drastic measures. Bartomeu out, elections next month. Clean out, 30+ yo (Rakitic, Pique, Busquets, Suarez, Alba) slow turtles who drag their feet and the useless Craperto and Semedo. Survive fall and get back into the stable in winter/spring. Getting back on the horse will take a while.

Marcio Freitas repped this.
  5. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

So Koeman it is and no change otherwise, Bartomeu playing the Covid19 card and staying as long as he can to drain the club and cover his tracks. He's been saved so many times this guy it's unbelievable.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is it official ?

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Semedo !!! :eek::eek::eek:

Just needs more minutes. :ROFLMAO:

He actually started the game well and then was a complete disaster.

BocaFan repped this.
  8. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Give it a break! I'd still prefer Semedo to Craperto and day off the week. But both are useless in this Barca. I just want to throw up when I see Setien line up against Bayern! I mean both Semedo and Craperto LOL.

I think Alves alone at 40y would do better than these clowns.

9. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

As unofficially official as can be!

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Would've loved to be a fly in the room when Barca offered the job to Koeman. What could've Barca said to make the job sound appealing? Does he have a say on the reconstruction of the squad? Or just another 10-month stop gap before Xavi takes over?

inswinger repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can't imagine that for Koeman the uncertainty of international football didn't play a role. Yeah Euro is supposed to happen next year, but who knows ?

12. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I wouldn't mind seeing a lineup like this next season.

MAtS
    New RB Lenglet Todibo New LB
    De Jong
    Pjanic Puig
    Griezmann Messi Fati​

Bench: Coutinho, Dembele, any old timers we don't manage to sell

The new fullbacks we buy should be young and energetic.

13. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Basically Setien got sacked we all knew and nothing else, elections in March with Abidal staying.

What's changed then? Same shit as before! What does it take for Bartomeu to get out? If Messi cowering away again then I hope he suffers more humiliation. He should ********ing publicly threaten to leave NOW! What a useless captain and leader who hasn't spoken since the biggest humiliating defeat of his career and imo club history. The manita of failures in CL.

14. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

MATS out for 3-4 months due to knee surgery. Fantastic.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Terrible news. It looks like unless we have some surprise improvement in form from dembele / griezmann and whatever signing we get other than than Pjanic, it might be a throwaway season until elections.

16. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MAtS was pretty clearly hurting during the Bayern game, never kicked the ball clear more than a few yards. Sadly his injury suggests we will keep Neto rather than promote Pena (though Pena will be #2 for the first team so maybe that's a promotion).

Bigger concerns are Barto staying, yes, but he is a lame duck (cannot be re-elected). So it is really a question of when elections are held, and if he left early he'd just appoint one of his board members.

Truly bigger concerns are the rumors of Messi going to ManCity (or elsewhere) there is a whole betting market for Messi's next club, and Suarez going to Ajax.

17. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I posted a few weeks ago. Ugh.

18. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #1118 inswinger, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Elections to be held March 15th.

I guarantee that if there is no change of board until March, Messi will leave before then.

19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    As we thought a lost season

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That explains his extraordinary performance the other night

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Has Griezmann ever played wide right ?

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Then he needs to leave by October. If Messi leaves and it's because of Bartomeu, the fans will understand Messi, but Bartomeu may have to move out of the city.

And the messed up thing is that wherever he goes, he will for sure make less than at Barca because I don't think anybody can pay 50m. He will play for less for another team.

23. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Is there a way the socios can force an election now? This board is so incompetent, and they should resign if they have a milligram of pride.

24. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #1124 unclesox, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    The only way an early election can take place is for a club member to attempt a moción de censura (censure motion, or "vote of no confidence") against Bartomeu.

I'm not 100% certain on all of this but I believe the process goes along these lines...

- A club member presents a formal censure motion to the club against the current president.

- The club prints up forms for a motion to take place.

- The day after the forms are printed and made available to the membership, 14 business days is the time frame allowed to collect the required number of signatures to force a vote.

- 15% of the club's membership who meet the requirements to vote must sign the forms that favors the motion.

[sidenote]
    It's sounds easy but in reality it can be very challenging to obtain the required number of signatures.
    The best way to collect signatures has often been outside Camp Nou on match days because there are a greater number of members gathered in one location.
    But there are usually only 1-2 home matches during most 14 day spans and even then, attendance is no guarantee with many local socios preferring to attend only the higher profile matches. Many members are not willing to go out of their way on a work day to find locations where they can sign a petition.
    It's even tougher to get signatures during the summer off season when many are on holiday.
    In September 2017 Agusti Benedito set a motion against Bartomeu and the confirmed number of soci at that time was 110,648. This meant that 16,570 signatures were required to force a vote.
    Benedito withdrew the motion after a few days it began because of confusion as to when the deadline to collect the signatures ended.
    [/sidenote]

- If the gathering of signatures is successful to force a vote, a vote against the current president would take place.
    (EDIT)
    At least 10% of the members must vote for the motion to be made official. Otherwise the president keeps his post.
    Of those who vote, 66% must vote 'yes' on the motion for the president to be ousted.

- If the motion is successful, the election for a new president would take place.
    (EDIT)
    During this phase, club assets are frozen and no new player signings can be made.
    Potential candidates would have to obtain signatures from roughly 2% of the membership in order for their names to be placed on the ballot.
    The actual voting process for a new president would take place at Camp Nou during a 12 hour time frame.

Again, I'm uncertain all of this is 100% accurate but it's a general summary. I'm basing it on the voting processes from the censure motion against Laporta in 2008 and the 2015 presidential election.

astrophyz, celito, Danko and 2 others repped this.
  25. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    ^ Never thought I'd see this kind of post on club elections on this forum. Oh well... that's the time we live in!