Hindsight isn't 2020 - The 2019-20 Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That sucks. Pjanic had a very nice KdB-like assist last night in that 3-3 match. And he'd be the one most familiar with how to play against Napoli.

Sucks doubly because we can't really use Arthur in CL either since he's probably pissed at the club right now.

2. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Hello Barcelona fans,

I have learned from some of my contacts in Portugal and Spain that Barcelona is looking to hire a new manager for next season.

Jorge Jesus (flamengo coach) is in talks with Benfica to return but it has long been known by insiders that he is fond of FCB and wishes fo coach Barcelona in a larger league with a bigger challenge.

I understand that some of Barca’s people are trying to hijack Jesus from Benfica. They are sending people to Lisbon who will meet with Jesus at a hotel after he meets with Benficas people. Expect a bidding war.

I don’t know if you are familiar with his work, but in my view he is an incredibke manager and I do hope you hire him. He would do amazing with you. I could see him giving Trincao a big responsibility and letting him play half the games in his first season like Sir Alex did with CR7.

Thoughts ?
    I will keep you posted on any developments as I hear them.

3. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
  4. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In June Jorge Jesus signed a one year extension at Flamengo.
    I like him but I wouldn't want to see him at Barca because he'd be put in an uncomfortable position.
    Presidential elections are next year and after the 2020-21 campaign - even if major silverware is lifted in May - whoever the coach is will constantly be looking over his shoulder as everyone will be welcoming the new president and counting down the days until Xavi returns to become the Mister.
    So my thoughts would be to tell your 'contacts' to advise JJ to see out his contract in Brazil.

5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You could tell Messi doesnt have faith with the current team with the way he reacted after scoring that freekick. He knows even scoring goals doesnt mean anything. This team is capable of conceiding 3-5 goals in CL right now against Bayern, its scary thought.

I dont know which is better, losing narrowly to Napoli or getting hammered by Bayern or Liverpool.

6. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    It's better getting past Napoli because in football anything can happen. Bayern can have an off day and I agree they are a great team but they've also been beating up on crappy Bundesliga teams. I think they might not be as good as people are saying.

celito repped this.
  7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm pretty sure we can avoid playing Liverpool in the CL this season. ;)

But in seriousness, Liverpool's exit does make the CL more open. Unfortunately, we are lined-up to play the next best team in the world in the quarters. But the rest of the field all have big flaws as well.

It would be surprising if there aren't alot of surprises in this CL tournament happening in August.

8. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  9. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
  10. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  11. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

ShortyMac repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not sure if accurate, but it seemed to me that we had more injuries to critical players in the Setien half of the season (Suarez and De Jong mainly). Or maybe my memory just sucks. But also Roberto, Alena and Arthur were unusable for several matches after January. Not that they are critical, but when combining with the FdJ injury it made us extremely thin in midfield.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Unfortunately, a second spike in COVID-19 cases appears to be happening in Spain. Don't think just more testing can account for a 7-fold increase in # of positive cases. Furthermore, Catalonia is the region contributing to the increase the most.

Posting in this thread because it may put Barca's home match against Napoli in jeopardy.

14. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not know that. My guess is if a home match were considered too dangerous to host in Barcelona (or a Barca-selected location in Spain) then the logical thing would be to play in Lisbon where the winner will be heading to with the other 7 quarterfinalists. Would be weird to have away goals count if we were not at home (but of course we want our away goal to count for us in Napoli so we cannot have it both ways).

BocaFan repped this.
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    UK puts Spain on their quarantine list. Others will likely follow. Looking like Barca x Napoli won't be played in BCN.

16. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Holy crap MAtS... things going from bad to worse!

18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1093 Gilmango, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Nice summary of Trincao's day and season: https://www.barcablaugranes.com/fc-...o-trincao-picks-up-assist-in-final-braga-game

Lots of talented youth potentially joining or rejoining though some will certainly be sold, below is from Sport but not mentioned in it are Pedri (coming back from loan), Gustavo Maia (Sao Paulo joining Barca B or loaned out),Matheus Fernandes (from Palmeiras to Valladolid on loan but signed to Barca), Emerson (likely to be sold this year or next, with Betis for now), and whoever I'm forgetting beyond who is listed below (from Sport) :

[​IMG]

FUTURE OF THE LOANEES
    There are more doubts. Oriol Busquets (21), Miranda (20), Todibo (20) and Wagué (21) have contracts, but the intention of the club is to loan them out again or sell. Rafinha (27) is a clear sale.

The seven young players expected to get into the first team (Ansu, Pedri, Riqui, Trincao, Araujo, Collado and Aleñá) have an average age of 19.7 years.

They will join more experienced but still young players - De Jong and Dembele are both 23, while Lenglet is just 25. Junior Firpo is 23 but he may leave.

celito and ShortyMac repped this.
  19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    This Is Why Barcelona Signed Pedri

Hope we see a lot of him !!

20. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    things are turning ugly with Arthur now.

Arthur was supposed to return to training today after a short break in Brazil, but he is refusing to return and doesn't want to play for Barca again. Barca view this as a breach of contract and are threatening to take him to court.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Can't blame him. What a shitshow!

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Treat players like shit and that's what you get. This board is so freakin bad.

evil_allan repped this.
  23. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    a group of socios have announced that they are preparing a vote of no confidence against the current board!!

unclesox and Gilmango repped this.
  24. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  25. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004