Hindsight isn't 2020 - The 2019-20 Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO. Totally forgot he was still on our books.

2. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Well it's become just like when the Orlando Magic signed a prime Grant Hill (not the perfect analogy given that Grant Hill was an established superstar and Ousmane was simply emerging as one after 2 stellar professional seasons); we've signed a good that for whatever reason has shown to be fragile.

Not sure if anyone's to blame and/or how we could've gotten around it, but lo and behold, it's happening and we've got to find a way around with him somehow.

Dembele's here till 2022. Feels like he's at his absolute lowest value. He might be the "worst piece of business at the moment", but I'm not sure it means dumping him at any cost. Part of me thinks that he really just needs a new start elsewhere to get his career going.

My gut says that if he does stay we can't really depend on him to be there a whole season (unless he proves otherwise which IMHO would require 2 full healthy seasons), but that he can make critical contributions when we need them.

3. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    maybe.
    united have a couple candidates too in Alexis and Pogba, and Chelsea with Kepa.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    On top of everything, Dembele has an attitude. The guy is literally worse than a paper weight. And its actually better if he's injured. Then we don't have to worry if he's gonna arrive to a match in time for the kick off.

He'll go on a free transfer in 2022 but that still leaves us with a 2 year headache.

ShortyMac repped this.
  5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Is it true he feasts on junk food and doesn’t give 100% in training ( when he turns up ?

6. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Squad vs. Eibar: B team left-back Sergio Akieme is also included with Jordi Alba out injured. Braithwaite makes squad too.

The full squad is: Ter Stegen, Semedo, Piqué, Rakitic, Sergio Busquets, Arthur, Messi, Neto, Lenglet, Griezmman, Braithwaite, Sergi Roberto, De Jong, Vidal, Umtiti, Junior, Ansu Fati and Akieme.

Martin Braithwaite "skills" unveiling:
    1230886301962063875 is not a valid tweet id

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Meh he nailed that 2nd trick before hand. But it's not like we are signing Ronaldinho. It'd be funny if he gets a goal in a win next weekend.

8. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island

9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My limited understanding is that even if Barto steps down and elections are held this summer, that it would be just for a 1 year term (for the balance of Barto's term). That the main elections will be in 2021. Anyone know if that is correct or not?

Assuming that is correct, then while I welcome Barto going away, I also fear that it is current board members who are trying to distance themselves from Barto to boost their own electability; we potentially wind up with more of the same for a year, then the incumbent who served out that final year (but was likely part of Barto's board) likely wins the 2021 election. So even though I'd like Barto out sooner than later, it might be better to wait till 2021 election (when Barto cannot run again) and have an open election where anyone from Barto's board would need to stand as the 'more of the same' candidate against non-Barto board candidates.

10. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Following Saturday's results (Barca 5-0 Eibar / Levante 1-0 LPB)...

All time goals scored in La Liga history:
    6151 Barcelona
    6150 Real Madrid

On 22 September 1990 LPB (3695) held a 139 goal differential over FCB (3556)

When Messi debuted in La Liga on 16 October 2004 LPB (4711) held a 70 goal differential over FCB (4641)

When Cristiano got tired of losing La Liga and bolted to Juve/Serie A in 2018 LPB (6041) held a 42 goal differential over FCB (5999).

That advantage has been wiped clean in 62 matches.

First time since 1963 that LPB have not held top spot in Liga goals scored.

- per Mr. Chip

11. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Pique injury reportedly not serious. He may even play in the Clasico according to Marca and RAC1.

BocaFan and Gilmango repped this.
  12. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    players are openly criticizing the board:

Busquets: "Semedo and I were one booking away from a ban so we were always running that risk [of suspension]. We hope Pique's injury is nothing serious but we will take on the second leg with what we have. We don’t have a deep squad because, unfortunately, that’s how it was planned. We have a small squad, we don't have players of that profile (wingers) to attack, so we have to reinvent ourselves."

Rakitic: "We have a short squad but those that are in charge knew that. The solution is what it is. Those that are available will have work really hard because we have an important match in the second leg."

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    All the loans and whatever probably trying to save money to get Neymar. I wouldn't doubt it.

14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Pretty sure he scored around 15 cracking , long range goals - when we needed them .. ( Messi was out injured ?)

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Oh, there's no-way it was 15 or even 10. But he got more golazos than Dembele over the same time-span, that's for sure.

He is still a useful player to have if we can't sell him for a lot (which we can't).

16. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    now you're just making shit up

17. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    My expectations this season are pretty low compared to seasons past. I would be overjoyed with a La Liga title and a QF appearance in the CL. Anything more than that is a total bonus and less that isn't even a big deal.

Gilmango repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pique trained normally today. Should be available Sunday.

Rana catesbeiana and Gilmango repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Another piece of good news is that Alba has been included into the match squad. Not sure he is ready to start though.

ShortyMac repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some controversy with the assistant coach Sarabia being abrasive and talking too much during the game.

What a season ...

22. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    When we're losing matches, drama will happen!

23. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Sport says Barca are planning for 4/5 signings this summer.

two defenders (CB + RB), two attackers (ST + LW), and maybe a midfielder depending on the market.

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Oh ye with short memories ...

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Arthur picked up an injury and won't be part of the game this weekend.