Hindsight isn't 2020 - The 2019-20 Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thread is for Barcelona's season.
    Discussions of Other Teams goes into another thread called... something. I forget what it's called.

TitoTata repped this.
  2. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Suarez could come back at the end of season (ucl semi final and maybe 4-5 liga last matches).

3. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dembele finishes the season with 9 app, 1 goal, in La Liga. How depressing.

We paid 125m Euros, he's now worth 75m...

4. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #729 JoCryuff98, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Freakin 50 million loss. These guys have ******** all clue about running a business. Bring back Laporta or a really good one. Laporta really is a fan of the club unlike these douchebags.

5. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

He's not even worth 25M€ what are you talking about? No club with the right mind will ever want to buy a complicated and extremely injury prone player. He'll run his contract out and go for free playing only 25% of his contract time with little to show for. Same for Coutinho and that's a loss off roughly 300M€! Not even counting the salery. Its so massive that entire board and management should get the sack!

BocaFan repped this.
  6. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Considering the kind of player Dembele was when we decided to sign, it's not like the deal was the worst. Players can develop according to many scenarios, but he looked good and promising. Maybe the money was too much, but we were in a bad spot (admittedly thanks to us not seeing the danger of PSG game-changing the buy-out clauses). He wasn't a glass man, and not some wildly unprofessional fool either when we signed him. Just to say this when we talk about the deal: it hasn't worked out (at least so far, but who knows how's it's turning out) well, but deal-making is not the same as how a signed player turns out in new environment. Some of it is luck, which he hasn't had. The case is more complex than just "it was an incredible horrible move from the dumb board" (by which I don't mean to defend the board).

7. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

When you act in desperation, which is something Bartomeu is known for, this is what you get. It's not bad luck but a pattern. He's never had a vision, he's got no character and this is the results. His way of signing players has always ended up in failures.

8. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't think it's that black and white, but I agree that multiple players we have signed haven't turned out great. But my point was not whether a player ends up a success or failure, it was that deal making and player delivering are two separate things. Dembele's shortcomings in Barcelona are not entirely board's fault.

9. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Dembele is great. He is still young so he will overcome his shortcomings. I just hope the injuries don't kill his career. If he doesn't work out that is simply bad luck

Talent wise for me the guy is between Neymar and Hazard. And I see only Mbappe above him in his generation (~19-24)

Or who knows maybe Trincao is the next Figo (minus the pig's head) for Barca

10. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree his story is not over, and he definitely has his strengths. Let's see. Fully agreed on injuries. Hoping for the best for him.

11. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    We're still in the hunt for the two biggest trophies this year. Not sure why lots of pundits are acting like Barca's season is over. This Real team is crazy overrated. I see no indication that they are a great squad. They've played 5 matches this year against good teams... two against PSG, two against Atleti, and one against us. Of those five matches, they failed to score in three of them and scored one goal in another. This team simply won't put up enough goals to win the CL. I think they'll have to fight like lions to beat City. Even making QF is a long shot for them.

Our problem this year is injuries coupled with the fact that we're stripped of all depth. We may be starting Junior Firpo @NAPOLI and in the Clasico. That's why I don't like our chances but I don't believe that this Real team is better than us.

ShortyMac repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    He was never that good. Between Neymar & Hazard? Stop.

No idea why we paid that much. Bad deal from the start and everyone knew it at the time. He's a €30 mn guy, nothing more.

Sarcasm Bot and celito repped this.
  13. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Talent wise, he’s nothing compared to Neymar, Hazard, Mbappe or even Jadon Sancho. We wasted our freakin money on Coutinho and Dembele.

14. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I’m pretty sure Pep is gonna leave by the end of season. He should return if he loves Barca

15. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    For my part, I never put him between Neymar and Hazard.

We paid that much for two reasons: firstly, the situation (Neymar deal re-calibrated pricing, and we were short in LW), secondly, the potential (he was already good, but we looked at him and saw potential for growth and a soon-to-be world class winger with many years ahead of him).

Was it a good deal? Now people can say no with ease. But he could've not gotten injured at all, and killed it, and a lot of people would now call it a good move. So easy to rate transfers afterwards, with info how he has been doing.

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Valverde ruined Coutinho .. he was the best player in the EPL when we took him ... Klopp was devastated

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    According to SER Catalunya Barto's crew hired a company to create social media accounts to spread positive messages about his management since 2017. These accounts also attack Messi, Pique, Pepe and opposition.

They are at least 6 account with 8000 to 65000 followers each.

18. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Liverpool improved after he left though.

19. Curls

Curls Member

Oct 22, 2017
    #744 Curls, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    He was world class at Liverpool and their star player, the reason Liverpool improved i won't even bother mentioning as it's clear to anyone who gives it a second's thought.

TitoTata repped this.
  20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That’s down to Klopp and their scouting system though using the massive fee we paid to buy fabulous players

21. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    wish he would be world class at bayern

evil_allan repped this.
  22. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Coutinho is overrated nor was he the best PL player lol. Valverde didn’t single handedly ruin him either. We need to cash him and Dembele ASAP. The new board should try signing Mbappe

23. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Djik kinda deserves the credit for instilling hunger in that team tbh. Salah in one season did greater things than Coutinho lmfao. Also, preferred Firmino and Salah over Coutinho. Coutinho’s weakness is lack of pressing ability. He didn’t actually fit Klopp’s system and they’re far better without him. If anything, Coutinho was a liability and another overhyped Brazilian.

24. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Coutinho isn't bad. I think if Bayern doesn't want him we should keep him on the bench and use him as part of the rotation. He's still a useful player and considering his sharp drop in value we won't get much $ for him.

25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    People here ( not you ) have selective memory at times . When Coutinho first came here , after a short period of getting to know people , he was very effective for us and one of our best players ... he scored a fair amount of long range goals as well .

unclesox and Danko repped this.