Hillary For President--Part V

Discussion in 'Elections' started by bigredfutbol, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm stll trying to think how NOW thinks Hilary would actually do something for women's rights.

Other than nominate a pro-Roe v. Wade to the Supremes,I'm stuck.

2. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Just like a President Obama never needs to do anything specifically "pro-African American." Their presence alters the equation. All you have to do is line up the US presidents' pictures. In fact, although Hillary has totally alienated me emotionally, I might rethink not voting for her if she wins the nomination precisely because her presence would empower women and girls.

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you would have voted for Margaret Thatcher?

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Women and girls are overrated

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    She could pull a Lorena Bobbit on Bill. That should please the NOW crowd.

6. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you drunk when you typed this? Or simply trying not to answer my questions?

7. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd love to ask NYS NOW this. Or see if they would vote for Phyllis Schafly. Or Nancy Reagan.

Second wave feminism is useless. Third wave > *.

8. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Yep, that's the next step in our national degradaton. A Britney Spears style tabloid presidency. I mean even more so than the first time. Can't somebody do something about Bill? Set up a harem on a private island as long as he stays there?

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clinton won't fight the establishment. She IS the establishment.

10. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am a woman, and I do not feel empowered by Hillary at all.

I am also not alone in this thinking amongst my gender.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those were more like f***k me pumps than they were platform shoes.

:D

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean like the National Organization for Women?

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Her crusade for universal health care was tremendously principled. It's success or lack thereof (in Clinton Part I, I won't spoil Clinton Part II for you) is besides that point. If you wish to change your questions, that is fine.

I don't wish to completely derail this thread, but some of her recent foreign policy votes haven't exactly been helpful in the primaries! You can decide for yourself if they are principled or geared towards the general election.

To a large extent (as this campaign demonstrates) the Clintons are a partnership.

14. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    You don't say?

15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    What would that look like?

16. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    So you're a discerning, hopeful person with a good integrity radar. Groundbreaking is empowering in its own way...

17. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are most certainly not alone.

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Frankly, it is difficult to tell what motivates either clinton. She was licking her chops to lead the health care charge soon after the inauguration. A cynic would say that she wanted a major, major issue to establish her power within the clinton white house. The whole "2 for 1" that bill promised.

Because I do not feel confident in judging her motivation, I won't. We CAN look at her experience and success. My amateur opinion is that she wanted absolute control and power over this one issue. She handled the plan in a secretive manner, closing the door on people and keeping a very tight grip on the process. It wasn't to the level of cheney's energy commission, but you get the point.

She wanted the power so that she could give us yearning masses what we needed. That hits on one of the primary differences between the candidates. She wants to give us the change that she thinks we want and need. Her presidency would be her gift to a grateful nation.

Obama, on the other hand, has always been about organizing and bringing people into a process. Give them a hand in what is being built. His idea of change comes from the people up.

You can see it in their speeches and their debate answers. Clinton is constantly "I will do this. I will lead. I will, I will, I will . . . "

Obama is always talking about we and us. Stylistic? Perhaps. But if you ask me, it points to the major difference that we face in picking a candidate.

19. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it's the latter. She doesn't take a pee without considering the political implications.

And you don't think that's a problem?

20. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    You assume her success and I don't think you can do that. I am very much in favor of a woman being president. My experience with female bosses is much much better than men. I think there are many women who could be outstanding presidents.

Having said that, a woman for women's sake can set back the cause of women decades. What if Jackie Robinson was combative and outspoken? If clinton is president, and she can't hold together a coalition to govern; if her administration is wracked with scandal; if she doesn't inspire confidence and trust; then she isn't empowering anyone she is climbing through the glass ceiling for herself and slamming the door on those coming behind her.

21. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, this glass ceiling thing is so arcane. The second and third most powerful people in America are women. The war is over.

22. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    If I assumed her success, I'd have voted for her. ;)
    I just assume she wouldn't fall apart. What if Jackie Robinson was a failure? That's a good question. I think somebody else steps up. (BTW, my worst bosses have been women, as it turns out.)

23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chimpy and Bernanke are women? Who knew??

24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Honesty and Integrity. In cooperation with the DNC, the candidates all pledged to skip Florida. No campaigning. No official delegates. And it is good to see them all stick by their word . . .

[​IMG]

Or not.

Just another example of doing or saying anything to win and if the legendary clinton ability to skirt the truth and parse things in technical accuracies and moral falsehoods.

Oh, and everyone should get a good chuckle from the disclaimer that the organization sponsoring the event is not affiliated with Hillary for President.
    :D

25. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Nah, Colin Powell was secretary of state also and his wife was too afraid for his life for him to run for president. Close to the top is still under the ceiling.