Hillary For President--Part V

Discussion in 'Elections' started by bigredfutbol, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You weren't that far off. Being the sitting president is a huge advantage in an election, even if you ascended to the presidency through unconventional means. LBJ didn't become the incumbent president in 1968 through JFK's assassination, but he was strongly helped in the 1964 election.

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    We all know Hillary is not the most eloquent speaker, but she said something that I found tremendously moving, "The people of Florida deserve to be represented in the process of picking a candidate for president of the United States." Thank God Hillary wants to count all the votes in Florida.

3. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't tell if you are joking or not.

4. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Having Team Clinton on their side isn't doing much for Team Clinton right now.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think the voters of Florida and Michigan should be represented, but you can't agree with everybody in your party that they wont be, and then at the last moment, after your opponents respected the pledge not to participate, suddenly argue otherwise.

Hillary's comment would have been much more moving if it didn't come when she realized that she desperately needs the delegates of Florida and Michigan because she is in a dogfight to the finish.

6. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither can he.

7. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The national party did the right thing. Florida's votes should not count. Period.

The only reason Clinton said that shit is that she's desperate for delegates. If Obama wins Florida, you can damn well bet that Clinton will do her damnest to distance herself from those remarks.

Florida and Michigan delegates both disqualified themselves by going against the national party. F***k 'em.

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My question is for fellow NY residents. How well of a job do you think she's done representing NY, and how has NY benefited from her.

Personally, I think she's done pure crap and we're no better off now then before her. I'm not a Dem, not even a registered Rep any more, but I will say without a doubt that Schumer has done FAR MORE than Hillary has and at least seems interested in working for NY whereas Hillary seems interested only in her personal agendas. Living Upstate I can tell you that she's done squat for us, where as Schumer can be seen here regularly and has done quite a bit for Upstate.

9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kennedy announced his candidacy on March 16 and Johnson withdrew on March 31.

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I understand and respect your POV. I just think that Hillary is showing a lot of courage by taking on the party establishment. Yet another example of how she puts principles above politics. This is exactly the kind of change we need in Washington.

11. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got to be kidding me, the ONLY reason that the Clinton's are focusing on Florida is that it is the last remaining chance for them to put a dent in the Mo' that Obama is building right now. Billary are hoping that a big victory in FL (and only now is she saying boo about the delegates, why did it take her 6 months to take a stand?), even if it doesn't count, could slow down Obama going into Super Tuesday.

Would we be hearing anything about FL if Hillary was 6 points down in the polls there?

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Hillary might be many things and she's also not many things she's accused of, but not even she could make this claim with a straight face.

13. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had taken this courageous* stand six months ago I might agree with you. But now? It's just slimy and disgusting.

*:rolleyes:

And please give me an example of her putting principles above politics.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You responded before my edit, in which I wrote:

"The only reason Clinton said that shit is that she's desperate for delegates. If Obama wins Florida, you can damn well bet that Clinton will do her damnest to distance herself from those remarks."

Clinton does nothing based on principles. She has only one goal. She wants to win the presidency at all costs, and will say or do anything she can to realize that goal.

15. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Should I not have repped Ben for making me laugh? I'm sorry, Ben, I thought you were trolling us.

16. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    True, she'll really have to step up her game for Mitt Romney.

17. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's still not on their website - http://www.nownys.org/news.html but here's a press release I just got in my inbox.

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Well, that's not devisive. ;)

If Obama had less than a 100% record on women's issues, maybe you could take that seriously? I am surprised by the venom in that email.

19. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOW is completely out of touch with reality.

20. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is NOW made up of mostly second-wave feminists?

21. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Ted's just not that into them?

PS:
    I love how the release never deigns to mention "Hillary Clinton’s opponent" by name.

Ne'er a more cursed word . . .

22. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Sheesh. What a joke. Not like they are trying to play the gender card now. (Not NOW, but I am willing to wager that HRC knew well in advance that this was going out).

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Reading that press release the word "hysteria" came ironically to mind.

24. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    That was one of the most amusing primaries I can remember before this one. Many in the party could see Carter's defeat coming from a long way away. Plus, if I remember right, he had fought with congress over many small issues, they resented his high-handed approach, and many Dems just wanted him out.

Carter spent the entire primary not mentioning Chappaquiddick, and letting everyone know that he wouldn't mention it, almost every day.

In a classic case of be-careful-what-you-wish-for, Carter wanted to run against Reagan, thought he would be easy pickings.

John Anderson was Reagan's main primary opponent, and he ran as a third-party candidate. Man, was he insufferable, sanctimonious and condescending.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, I remember the Time Magazine cover with Reagan and Carter, and a smaller Anderson in between. But I didn't know he was a Republican.

I remember hearing that George H. Bush ran against Reagan and called Reagan's economic ideas 'vodoo economics'. Was that in those same primaries?