High scoring games 8/26/06 [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MintyDude, Aug 26, 2006.

1. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham
    After the onslaughts of RBNY>RSL and LA>DCU, I think its apparent MLS teams can put up the big numbers.

My question is that a good bad thing? Sure its entertaining, but it makes you wonder what the hell is going on at defense...? RBNY can't even beat PDL teams by any great margin, how are they crushing RSL 6-0?

2. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Apparently MLS can score goals?

Hey, MintyDude, put an [R] on this before you have the wrath of the mods come down on your head...

3. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham

how and why?

4. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because you put the RB/RSL score in there. If you can still edit, go back and edit the title, or take the RB/RSL score out.

Of course, it may not matter, because many people don't come to this forum...

And, to your question, I think lopsided scores are not good for the league, nor for the fans of those on the small end of the scoreline.

If there were an [R] on this I could say more, but even to mention which teams came in on the short end of the stick tonight would be violating the mandate to not put anything giving away a result in a thread without an [R].

5. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not good for my MFLS team. Just added Klein and Cunningham. Put 4 DC players in.

6. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Didn't you hear?

The universe has run backwards....
    NY and LA are actually good
    Snakes on a Plane had an abysmal opening
    Water is running counter clockwise down the drain

:D

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Title changed and [R] inserted.

Discuss to your hearts content.

8. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    All that I care about is that I just hit the jackpot with my la over dc pick and nym over rsl pick in wpl!!!

woo

9. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see MLS actively encourage teams to play more attacking soccer in the spring and summer.

A fan who enjoyed a fun, entertaining game is more likely to come back than a fan who sat through a boring game with few scoring chances.

10. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Now Rocket, I agree with you completely, but let's not piss off the majority of the folks on this board by saying that :). Haha, what a great night to buy MLSlive.tv and for soccer!

11. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing wrong with high scoring close games. The best I ever saw was the DC/Revs playoff that went into overtime 3-3 and ended with penalties. I was so damned drained at the end of that one that I could hardly stand.

It's the lopsided ones like today's (both teams I cared about were on the short end of it) that hurt. And if there were a pattern to it, then there would really be a problem, since no matter how strong the love, people would stop coming.

Parity is not a bad thing...and this is being said by a DC United supporter.

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to know just how you propose to do this.

The motivation of retaining their positions will always be a greater motivation than some wishful league fiat. Coaches stay coaches by winning games, and it's far easier to win consistently via defensive strategy.

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If MLS gets the owners on board with this idea, they can easily put pressure on the coaches to play attacking soccer.

Let the coaches know that they will be evaluated not only on wins & losses, but on what kind of soccer they play

14. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI-->RSL went down to 10 men just after 8 minutes.

Also, it didn't help in the DC-LA game that a DC player went out injured after the 3rd substitution had been made. That may have accounted for 1 goal in the last 10 minutes.

15. Jonny National Side

Jonny National Side BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 8, 2006
    i think the dcu-galaxy result needs to be scrapped and the game re-played.

that's not right that dc lost, especially by that much. i could not watch the game, i wish i did. but this is bull$hit.

the galaxy should not win at dc. something is wrong with that.

16. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, it looks like the Galaxy are stepping up their game right when they need to.

I am going to be Major League pissed off if the Galaxy make it to MLS Cup again.

17. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Or bonuses to players who score hat tricks, or over consecutive games.

I dunno, really. Now that I think about it, it may disrupt the team effort. But I'm more for incentives than pressure.

18. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    I say $100k to a player with a hat trick and $200k for the leading goal scorer. Do something similar for the saves and assists leaders.

Speaking of high-scoring games, this Chicas-1836 game is another one.

19. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    6 x0 is a historical win, Red bulls supporters, put "6x0" in your signatures for some weeks +).

20. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Well, I've already found another way to spin the victory in my sig. :)

21. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Yep and....

That foul in the box on De Rossario that was never called, near the end of the match should have lead to another PK.

22. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham
    Yeah it should have been a PK, but the original PK shouldnt have been anything, so I say it made up for it.

23. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham
    I hope when MLS is at 14+ teams, runs like the Galaxy's most recent wont be the type of thing that gets them into playoffs, and winning MLS cups. It's fun to see an underdog win, but in retrospect, its ridiculous they took the cup last year.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scores from tonight. Games started at 7:30 PM ET and ended just after 1 AM ET. (5 1/2 hours.)

DC 2 - 5 LA
    NYRB 6 - 0 RSL
    CHI 1 - 0 COL
    CHV 3 - 2 HOU

19 goals scored in 4 games. That's gotta be a goals-per-game average in a single matchday. (Keep in mind, there's 2 games tomorrow to be played, but Columbus has this issue with scoring goals...)

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High scoring games is the best thing for MLS. Now maybe not one sided 6-0 victories. but DC 2 LA 5 and Houston 2 Chivas 3 are much better for MLS than any 0-0 game.