High School Football games at PHP

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by texgator, Sep 6, 2007.

1. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad everyone is so grounded in reality. For me I always want top of the line. I may not have a Bugatti but I sure as hell won't be satisfied with a Ford. Try and rationalize it and like it if you will but I have higher aspirations than that. I guess Judge Smails had it right when he said "the world needs ditch diggers too". You boys have been watching games from the endline too long. And yes I know that when I stand judged one day I may have some explaining to do with the false pride thing.:cool:

2. matthewe08

matthewe08 Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hey thats cool im from red oak I played in that stadium twice so big when your down on the field....too bad ennis cant play soccer

3. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played in Red Oak just after they moved up from 3A. That was a peach of a field. They litterally had a ditch running down the 50yr line. I tripped in it plenty of times. That was back when Red Oak, Midlothian and Cedar Hill all moved up to 4A in the same year. Mansfield had about 1,000 people I think. At least I ended up at Tech. As you can assume I was jumping up and down when Tech signed Harrell.

4. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why do we have to have this thread every single year at this time?

Can we put a couple links in the FAQ to the threads that have appeared for three straight years now?

Or is it 11 straight years back to the Cotton Bowl?

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that there's one small item that Lone Star Park has in its business plan that PHP couldn't possibly have, right?

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how the NFL ever became a big league, what with most of its teams playing in baseball stadiums in the '60s and '70s. Didn't NFL owners realize what damage they were doing to their sport and how bush-league they looked, playing on fields with big dirt cutouts in the middle of them.

Which is to say that I think that people overexaggerate how much harm a faded gridiron does to public perception of this team. Yeah, I can understand if we're talking about Dragon Stadium, but we're not. To be honest, it isn't even in the same ballpark as crap like charging such outrageous prices for a game in which the star attraction is and never was a sure thing. THAT hurts public perception of this team.

7. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you 100% satisfied with the current situation?

8. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we talk about Red Oak and Ennis every year at this time?

9. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    We could still be back in that shithole Dragon Stadium where the soccer lines ran UNDER the endzone football markings.

FieldTurf and NO BEER!

Think about that guys... NO BEER!!! Football lines and NO BEER!!!

I'll say it again NO BEEEEEEEEEER!!!!

We have a kick ass stadium, faint football lines, real grass........ AND BEER!!!!!!

...sweet merciful god.

10. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    Yeah, to me the bigger shared space affront to me is baseball/football/soccer. I can't imagine any side is happy with the aesthetic. Good thing FCD doesn't play in RFK Stadium.

Considering the "pointy ball" lines are turning up for the final, say, 4th of the season, I can handle it. Look at DC or RSL, where it's every home game, ever. Ick.

* In that DC has the baseball diamond cutting through the pitch.

11. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under current circumstances, hell yeah.

Years from now, when the league is much stronger, then maybe it is time to consider upgrading. But at that time, MLS is making significantly more money on things like television revenue, attendance revenue, sponsorship, etc.

You could say the same thing about the stage.

Both are financial bootstraps to help keep this thing in our control.

And we're a LONG way away from being able to work without them.

12. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    Maybe it's just me, but I feel the FCD FO is too reactive sometimes instead of acting more assertive.

But don't give me the nasty glare, Drum'r; I have no answers. I just needed to throw that spleen out there.

13. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No nasty glare.

Same as the stage/concert thing last year, to find out where the envelope is, you have to push it. Especially when not pushing it could leave money on the table.

I guess I'm kind of confused by people's perspective on this. Without Frisco, this deal doesn't happen. Very possibly, we don't have a team. We almost certainly aren't making money at the business of soccer, hence we're holding the league back.

MLS isn't big enough to stand alone without other events in the stadium yet.

Hence, it is a necessary part of the business plan.

What is confusing about this?

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but some very faint football lines the last several weeks of the season have nothing to do with my not being at 100%.

15. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    Heck, there are concerts at Soldier Field, and the Bears sell out every home game. (Yes, this is Apples v Oranges because the NFL/Bears do not own Soldier Field. But still.)

Meanwhile, the two "hottest" teams in MLS met last night and I saw acres of empty seats. No "pointy ball" lines on the field, though. Hooray for the aesthetic!

Well, that and the symmetrical final score (spoiler alert). ;)

Considering PHP was held up as the model for future MLS stadiums, and at least 3 other SSSes share the same general layout, I think multi-use is here to stay. So really, is this more about there being HS football games at PHP? Or football games period?

16. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you're referring to gambling revenues, but either way PHP brings in a ton of taxes.

And don't worry about the long term future. After I make my first billion I'll buy out what's left of deep ellum and put together a 40k stadium with plenty of pubs around.

17. GoldFinger

GoldFinger New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    I love how everyone looks at the negative.

Thank you Hunt family for investing in a stadium for FC Dallas, before taking care of the outdated Arrowhead stadium. I understand the return on investment in KC would far outweigh Frisco, that is why I'm completely appreciative of Pizza Hut Park even with football lines.

18. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you'd be watching it at the Cotton Bowl with probably an extra 20,000 Hispanic fans/game rooting the team on.

19. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    ....20,000? Right.

20. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hate the situation but this post pretty much sums it up. Its necessary evil.

Maybe when I'm a grandpa, I can take my grandkids to PHP and tell them the story of when I was younger and going to this stadium.....when it still had a stage in it and faint football lines! :D

21. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not directed at you burning it's late and I hit quote instead of Post Reply.
    those of you that are cool with football lines on soccer fields will not care for Juan Pablo Angel's comments on David Beckham's Soccer USA. He says football lines are terrible. That should help get foreign players into our league. I hope his fellow countryman doesn't feel that same way don't you?

22. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in light of recent news, I'm of the opinion that what PHP needs is more "High School Musical"s. ;)

23. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I hunted down that picture last night. She has obviously never heard of a bikini wax.

24. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh c'mon, it beats high school football. :)

25. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    amen brother. the problem is that she's 18 right? well, when was that pic taken? keep em natural as you can. I say don't screw with the grass or at least keep it closely cut and apparently she's of the same mind:p