High definition Soccer games

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by josefl710, Apr 20, 2006.

1. josefl710

josefl710 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    texas
    I was finally able to catch a soccer game in high definiton since HDNET has began to bradcast HD mls games again. It was an MLS game between DC united and the houston Dynamo. Anyway, if any of you have been wanting to know how soccer would look like in high def, i have uploaded two clips. They are both in RAW mpg2 format, so make sure you have a codec that can handle it. Any DVD playing software should be able do the job though. The format is native widescreen so you have to put them in full screen for best view. They looks absolutely awesome in my 20' widescreen LCD monitor, they actually fills the whole screen.

here is clip1 about 34mb

Here is clip two about 90mb

Man, can't wait for the word cup :D

2. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Ive been watching soccer in HD for a while now. DISH has WorldSport, RUSH and HDNET all of which show soccer in HD...plus the World Cup on ESPN HD , ESPN2 HD and ABC HD. So Im looking forward to all 64 games in HD.

Unfortunetly ESPNs HD doesnt seem as GREAT as the HD on HDNet.

3. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    The UEFA Champions League Final is going to be in HD next month. Maybe this will be a regular occurence or is it just because of the world cup?

4. ISiddiqui

ISiddiqui Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Is ESPN or ESPN2 going to be broadcasting it? Because a lot of us with cable providers don't get ESPN2HD, but get ESPNHD.

5. joebloe888

joebloe888 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    Given that ESPN2HD is only available in the US and not in either Argentina and Brazil, one can safely assume that ESPN made the decision to spend some money on the UEFA CL in the unprofitable US market as a teaser for World Cup 2006.

My guess (and this is only a guess) is that UEFA CL final on ESPN2HD is a one-time experiment.

UEFA CL final historically have drawn no more than 250,000 households in the US, which is far below what other products that have HD coverage have drawn.

Typically, products that get HD coverage on ESPNHD or ESPN2HD tend to get at least 500,000 households, if not closer to 800,000 households, on the SD simulcast.

6. Warren Van Orden

Feb 29, 2000
    Richmond CA
    My guess is they are trying to generate complaints to providers such as Comcast who aren't yet carrying espn2HD, pressuring them to agree to terms and add the channel for the World Cup.

7. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Probably, but I'm not sure the European Cup is enough to do it...

8. BSjanitor

BSjanitor Member

Jun 11, 2004
    A user over at AVS reported that ESPN2HD showed parts of the 2005 UCL final in HD, but it kept switching back and forth. I'd say a yearly HD broadcast of the Champions League final on ESPN2HD from now on is a safe bet.

Instead of discussing how low UEFA CL final ratings are in the USA, which hardly matters to those who want to watch it, and how it's all about the World Cup, I'd rather see the HD telecast of the CL final as two things:
    • ESPN2HD needs more HD content. It has the least HD content of any HD channel out there (no high-def content on certain days), which certainly is an issue when they're trying to add the channel to bandwidth-starving Comcast and Time Warner Cable
    • they probably have all their graphics ready in HD, anyway
    • there's no need for an HD studio
    • UEFA will provide all the live HD images
    • the SD telecast is a simple cropped downconversion of the HD signal
    • sounds like a bargain for a LIVE HD telecast

Besides that, there are indeed some World Cup factors, such as ESPN may want to test their satellite transmissions in HD -- when was the last time ESPN broadcast something in HD live from Europe? -- and they can try some new equipment converting 1080i/50 to 720p/60 for the World Cup, which involves pulling 10 frames out of thin air (hard to keep digital artifacts from appearing).

9. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    my guess is that they are actually just starting to carry more HD content... hmm, could that be it?

baseball season is upon us and almost every baseball game on espn2 is HD. basketball playoffs as well.

10. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    Actually, the video converter (basically a computer with a single task) that ESPN will use to convert 1080i/50 to 720p/60 will have to come up with 35 extra frames per second, not 10 extra frames per second.

1080i/50 video has 25 frames per second because each cycle of interlaced video generates only half a frame.

720p/60 video has 60 frames per second because each cycle of progressive video generates a full frame.

11. BSjanitor

BSjanitor Member

Jun 11, 2004
    "pulling 10 frames out of thin air". 25 frames can be duplicated to make 50 then another 10 frames need to be made up to total 60. That's my reasoning. Whatever it is, we'll probably see a few extra seconds of delay on the HD broadcast.

12. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland
    I agree. I think it's a way for them to "test the pipe" for the WC.

13. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Yeah, ESPN has been marketing how they will show the entire World Cup in HD, they do not want to screw up.

Better to test all the technical stuff when virtually nobody is watching (under 250,000 people), then on June 9th, when up to 500,000 people might be watching (and given the hype, ESPN could do even better ratings-wise).

14. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    ESPN averaged over 1 million households for each match of World Cup 1994 and 1998.

One would expect ESPN and ESPN2 to draw at least 1 million households for each match of World Cup Germany 2006, with the exception of the 8 matches aired on ESPN2 simultaneously with matches aired on ESPN.

It'll be interesting to see how many households Univision can draw for each of its 56 matches.

Univision paid about 3 times for the Spanish-language rights (i.e about $90 million) compared to what MLS/SUM paid for the English-language rights (i.e. about $30 million), but there is absolutely no way Univision will average 3 million households for each match telecast.