Hiddink's advice to Fergie

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Step-Over, Jun 28, 2005.

1. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought he learned dutch and english pretty well ? At least dutch i've read.

2. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    this is from the mirror

3. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
  4. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yah no wonder he was knighted. now he's moonlighting singing for the black eyed peas. and looking mighty fine i might add.

as far as the English side of footballnl goes, all they do is take little snippets from everywhere and make their own stories. their articles aren't even signed.

5. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    I agree, it's horse manure journalism.

6. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    The funny thing is, I think they are fully aware that it is crap, all the while they print it.

7. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    but aren't all these new reports of Park's command of English being shaky just that: 'new' ? i thot he'd gotten it to an acceptable 'football' level?

8. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Excellent point, postmodern self-reflexivity, or in this case postmodern horse manure periodical writing.

9. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    He has, I've seen him give an interview on Sky, and he's not bad at all. He understood everything the reporter asked of him, and he answered quite well.

10. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Okey so this news is crap like every other ******** news you read ?

11. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    well, Hyok and Step said it best: "...postmodern horse manure periodical writing."

thanks, good 2 know.

12. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Okey, yeah i remember reading that Park spoke and understood english pretty well.

13. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I wonder what will be harder to adapt to once he arrives in Manchester: the language or the food?

14. taegukgi2004

taegukgi2004 New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    prolly the language. Scots accents are dugusting and sometimes i cna't even understand SAF gibberish. Well as for food, id imagine fish and chips aren't all that bad for park as long as fish is boiled in a pot with kochujang and chips are optional side dish in which he doesn't have to eat it. Perhaps, we should ask Step since he is korean living in england?

15. cmorning

cmorning New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    I think language will be much tougher barrier than food. One thing people misjudged about "English accent" is that It is very hard to understand for Korean who are more used to American accent. If ordinary England speak as reporters in BBC news said, I would not worry but I certainly can't understand most of SAF said in an interview. Funny thing is I can understand what foreign coach in england said in an interview even if they speak poor english but Not english coach. I could not catch any word I recognize. It just all mumbo jumbo to me.

16. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    You're right, it would be the language. Americans have one general stereotype of the English spoken in England, which is perpetuated by the media (the biggest culprit being Hollywood) that everybody speaks the Queen's English. Surprisingly, as I’ve discovered, the standardized Queen's English is actually spoken by a small number. On top of this, most Americans falsely believe that in England everybody speaks like the characters in 'Remains of the Day.' One of the biggest revelations is that in Britain, assortments of provincial and regional accents litter the whole island. In Manchester, they have a regional way of talking known as Mancunian, while in Newcastle it is the Geordie accent (btw, the favoured in the UK because of its 'melodic' tune) and Liverpool would have its own. I have a friend from York, who naturally has quite a Yorkshire accent. Once, he bought me a bottle of rum as gift from Nicaragua. On the phone he asked me if I finished the ‘room.’ I was confused, because I had no plans of redecorating my room. But that’s how he would pronounce rum, as phonetically ‘room.’
    On top of this, how the English gentry articulate is very rare, indeed. Class permeates English society, and if people say it was less so than years gone past, well there exists a deep undercurrent today. In Britain, how one speaks is an indicator of your social class. What Hollywood projects of the English toff becomes ridiculous, once you actually visit England. I can’t stress this enough, only a small handful are privileged to have attended a particular University (Oxford or Cambridge), and actually come from the social background to speak and behave like what American’s stereotypically understand as the English ‘gentlemen.’ Here in London, the majority have a strong Cockney accent, which took me couple months to acclimatize to. And I have to say, all my friends, --I repeat, all my friends-- who have visited me from California have gone through the same ritual: We go to a shop, and the shopkeeper tells them a price in a strong Cockney accent, my friend freezes, trying to make up the garble, as if the shopkeeper is speaking a foreign language. The expression on my friend’s face in this moment is one of frozen confusion. Of course, I went through all this. When I first arrived, I would go to MacDonalds, and I would literally have to concentrate and focus on every word and lip movement the attendant was saying when ordering my food.
    Here, in England, people find it quite endearing that foreign footballers take up the local dialect. For instance, one player from Blackburn, who was from South America, after some time, began speaking English in a Lancashire accent. This would be analogous to an Eastern European footballer coming to play for Dagu, where after some time he would speak Korean with a Kyung-Sang Do sattori. Who knows, Park may take up the Manc accent. If so, whenever the rock band Oasis gives an interview in Korea, Park could translate for them.

17. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    Many other great players had to go through lot of same stuff, its just something Park has to go through and I think he'll do well

18. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Personally, I really dig the Scottish accent. I love it when Scottish lassies speak, espeically when you ask them to speak about sordid matters.

19. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Me to, but brittish is ******** ing cool. Cooler than the american.

20. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think English accent is not that hard to understand. It's pretty understandable, atleast to me. But Scottish accents and Irish accents are so deep that it's really hard for some people to understand. But i think scottish accents are so good. I can't understand it, but they still sound good. I wish i can speak like that, they sound mad cool.

Anyone seen the football movie "A shot at glory"? If you do, you won't understand the half of the things they saw there the 1st time you watch it.

Koreans have tendency to not adapt to european cultures (or even american) that well. Atleast Park JS spend some years in Holland but England's a different case. We can't expect him to perform well right away (Look at Seol. It took him a while before he got it moving) so patience is needed, which i don't think SAF has (that's why i disapproved this move).

21. FiveMagics

FiveMagics New Member

May 30, 2005
    Manchester
    I am English and sometimes even I dont understand the Scottish accent sometimes, especially the ones that live in the northern hills. English culture is identicle to dutch culture really, no fundemental differences and it would probably be easier if he speaks English.

22. mrelkane2u

mrelkane2u New Member

May 18, 2005
    NYC
    Most Koreans have hard time adopting to other cultures, because when they move to another country they all stick together, form their own village, and stay there... Well, at least that's what happens here in NY where everyone lives in Flushing and never gets out. Luckily my father sent me to a school full of Italian Guidos and no Korean when we moved 6 years ago, and it really helped me settle.

Sure, Fergie's accent is.. yea it's something. But I think he would be able to understand it fairly soon as long as he DOESN'T bring an interpreter. You only get an interpreter if you're gonna stay there for a short period of time and you don't plan on speaking that language ever again. If you're planning on staying there for four years, you go out there by yourself and depend on no one.

23. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Off-topic but you lived/live in Flushing? I live in Flushing too, LOL.

I go to a school with about 65% of hispanic enrollment and only know like 4-5 koreans out of 1600 enrollment.

Funny how an English member here sometimes can't understand scottish. I wonder if Scottish people can understand other scottish people.

I also wonder if Hojo has a deep scottish accent or it died down.

24. mrelkane2u

mrelkane2u New Member

May 18, 2005
    NYC
    Westchester. I stay in my apt in nyc during school years tho.