Hiddink wants to coach KNT again???

Discussion in 'Korea' started by sukeet, Jul 19, 2005.

1. sukeet

sukeet New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Well according to an article in Sportschosun, which has been known for its accuracy :) , it seems like Hiddink has at least a mild interest in coaching Korea. According to this article, when asked about his offer in Australia, he responded by saying that he had no choice but to look elsewhere because Korea did not offer anything. Asked if Chung Mong-jun asked him about coaching, and Hiddink told the reporter no.

I know this is very sensational but Hiddink coming back to Korea to coach the team again...wouldn't that be something?

2. Kimsuyun

Kimsuyun New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    If Hiddink went to coach Korea again we wont get the same results. We'll be lucky enough just to make it to the round of 16.

3. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Bit of a non-story really as Korea already have a coach and it would be rather unprofessional of Chung to approach Hiddink whilst Bonfrere was still in the job (or, if he had, for Hiddink to have said "yes, he did ask me").
    Not to mention damaging the KFA's standing if/when they have to seek a replacement for Bonfrere - they are (were) still in a position to attract reasonably top-level coaches to the job, but interest from top coaches would rapidly diminish if the KFA picked up a repuation for hiring and firing at will, a la certain other Asian nations who change managers more often than Suwon players pick up injuries.

4. sukeet

sukeet New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Korea does change managers frequently...

look at Coelho and Park Sung-hwa :D

I am not a fan of Hiddink coming back to Korea (it probably will tarnish his 'legacy') but just the thought of him leading this team to Germany...I assume it would make lots of Koreans happy.

5. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Yea pretty much what Holyjoe said. Plus I'm pretty sure Boner could sue them over improper conduct or something if he was replaced like that.

The job Hiddink did in WC 2002 for our NT and Korean Football was great, but I don't want to see him manage the NT again because we need someone to manage the NT long term. Boner is probably not the answer either, but it's time for a change.

6. daeh0

daeh0 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    better hiddink than boner.

i know many of you can agree on that statement.

i have great faith in hiddink. look at his counterattacking tactics. we had 2 goals scored against us in 4 games (4th game being italy).. that's extraordinary!

my only concern is the back line. i don't know too much about the defenders.. but they seem extremely inexperienced and replacing the back 3 we had in WC2002 is almost impossible. those guys were the bomb.

also, hiddink would call up the players FREAKING boner ignored.. like lee eul yong.. and he wouldn't have hesitated to pick ahn like boner did before WC qualifying, saying ahn didn't show enough desire to play for the NT.

my two cents on that =]

7. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I mean, it was 3 years ago, but if my memory recalls, i thought we did a pretty good job of putting pressure on the attack in that world cup. So it's kind of unfair to call it counter-attacking because we didn't play much counter-attacking football in 2002.

I agree, if Hiddink comes, his legendary status will be tarnish. Despite the fact that i don't like how Boner is doing his job, Hiddink was highly criticized too by the Korean media before he accomplished all those things in 2002 WC.

8. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't know why ppl think that Hiddink's reputation will tarnish if he does come back and fail to achieve what was done in 2002 - I mean, ppl aren't that stupid - they know that it was one-off, near miraculous thing, and ppl are just grateful to him for having done that. But are ppl expecting Hiddink to repeat that feat time after time? No, any reasonable person wouldn't be thinking that at all, and if there are any then he/she is just stupid.

Anyway, I'm all for Hiddink to replace Bonfrere, but I just don't think it's a good time to do that - after all, even with all the criticism Bonfrere has endured so far he has achieved what was asked of him, and it alse seems that he's going the right way, looking at the squad he has chosen for the upcoming EAFF competition. As HJ already mentioned, sacking Bonfrere at this point would be a breach of trust and not honouring the contract, which would make it difficult to attract quality manangers in future (when and if foregin managers are needed).

9. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

id be amazing to have hididnk again

10. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    if Hiddink was to coach our NT again, we need him right now.. world cup is in wat 11-10 months from now??
    less than a year, thats a short time, especially with all the soccer league in session and sessions beginning soon... I am afraid it might be too late for Hiddink

if he does coach our team tho, we might not get the same result as 2002 but i am pretty sure he will get more of our talented players to Europe

11. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Oh, I dunno. I think we should look at the times we had with Hiddink like that idealized love affair during that long-lost summer during high school. You can enjoy wondering what it be like to rekindle the love, and idealize it as perfect. But you still go on with your life and realize that it can never be captured again. ;)

12. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I completely agree.

Not that this is a straight up comparison because its not like Korea wont ever get to that level again but lets face it, 2002 was a fairy tale.

Anyways, when I was a kid, I used to get bummed out that Bruce Lee died so young. The guy was a demigod in my eyes.

Now that am I bit older, I still watch those movies in awe. And not that Im glad he died, but I have to admit, he's immortalized forever because he died so young.

13. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Hm, Bruce Lee's relatively early death reminds me of Michael Jackson - if he died early, say like early 90's or so he'd be like a legend now, rather than what he has turned into.

14. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    LMAO. You see? Do you want to remember Hiddink as the football coaching god, or a sad man who molested young Korean footballing prospects at his ranch in the Netherlands? ;)

15. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hmm
    I wonder how many hours Sydney is from Bankok. Those weird Dutch.

I kid I kid.

16. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    still, i wouldn't mind having Hiddink as a coach again, say for the 2010 campaign. He's a proven manager and there aren't many in the world who could do a better job than him - and if he fails, then so be it, but still that wouldn't make the achievements of 2002 any less significant. After all, he's not infallible.

17. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Guus for Suwon coach!

18. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    ... a bit related to this ...

I've just read 난중일기 (a book I've bought to kill time in my return flight from Korea). I was reminded that General Lee died in the very last battle against Japanese invaders with a complete victory, finishing his marine military career undefeated. Had he survived and faced what awaited him (very likely another attempt by Chosun court to make him a villian, lose other military engagements), he may not have been a legendary hero that he is in Korean history now. ... just rambling ... :eek:

19. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    If only all the Korean fans were like you...then I say fine. But I think most people would dwell on the past if Hiddink flopped.

20. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    oh, there is a quite strong arguement that he hasn't really died then, but faked his death to avoid the wrath of the idiot king should he survive and become a national hero. A strong evidence is that his body was never really examined, and ppl were just given words that 'he had died'. Also, about 17 years after 'his supposed death', his 'body' was 'exhumed' and then buried in a different spot, located some distance away from the site of original burial. And as no paticular reason was given for this, the arguement goes that after faking his death during that battle, he went off to live the rest of his life in quiet secrecy and then died peacefully (hopefully).

21. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    There is also a "suicide" theory supported by several different sources. According to the book I've read, he went out of his way to get killed (in the last battle against fleeing Japanese fleet which he insisted and convinced Chinese/Korean fleet to go after). Supposedely, he did not want be subject to another accusation/arrest/torture by the court and wanted to end his life and career on winning note. Hiddink should take notice and not return to take KNT job - a repeat of WC final 4 by Korea is highly unlikely even with his return. I am not suggesting Hiddink go kill himself BTW ... ;)

22. johlee_99

johlee_99 New Member

May 31, 2003
    Coppell, TX
    Like I posted in a previous post. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late to go about making a coaching change, even for The Goose. Plus, I am willing to bet he asked for the Bank of Korea to come back, so fugethaboutit!

Just live with Boner and when our team don't make it to the final 16/8, then we blast them in the media and scream for a new coach.

23. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Yup. Point of no return has been crossed. It's Bbongfraid or never. I give him all my support from a fan perspective. Let's go, Bbong! :)

24. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Bbongjjak fighting!!

25. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Aye, well said. But don't you wonder what it would be like to have another possible shag?