Hiddink to return in 2004?!!!

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by jjksoccer, Aug 5, 2002.

1. jjksoccer

jjksoccer New Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NYC
    According to the Chosun Ilbo:
    Guss Hiddink, the man who led Korea to the World Cup semifinals, will return to his position as coach of the national team when his contract with Eindhoven ends in 2004. He will be coach for the Athens Olympics that year until the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

The Korean Football Association sent Ka Sam-hyun, its international director, to the Netherlands on Sunday to sign the new contract with Hiddink. They announced on Monday that the contract contents had already been negotiated with coach Hiddink beforehand.

Full link
    http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200208/200208050018.html
    ----------
    Although this would be great for Korea, I personally think its a stupid move on his part. He's reached deity status, and could tarnish his reputation with a poor showing. The expectations would remain ridiculously high.

But, I'll fully believe this when I see the press release from the KFA. Of course, if the newspaper is lying we should beat them severely for getting our hopes up.

2. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    KBS broadcasted the same thing in Korea (the 9 o clock news). If KBS reported then it should be reliable. As with my part, I'm just thankful that Guus still loves Korea and remembers the passionate support that we all gave him.

WE LOVE YOU GUUS!

3. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    I too am worried about Hiddink tarnishing his feat.

But it's good for the Korean football(not me again) in the long run under his instruction.

4. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    oh yeah, and until 2004, Hiddink will be "remote-controlling" the Korean team.

Hahng-suh Park will be the head in the mean time, but he'll heed to Hiddink's advice.

5. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It said he'll be coach until Germany 2006, meaning that once that comes around, he's gonna step down as coach?

6. jjksoccer

jjksoccer New Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NYC
    I completely agree that its awesome for Korean football (But you have to wonder if his loyalties to certain players will start affecting his decisions. In my view, one of the major reasons Korea did so well was that Hiddink started the job without any preconceived opinions on who deserved to play).

Hopefully he can start putting pressure on these stupid K-league teams to let their players go abroad. He did mention last week in an interview that he wanted to bring 3 Korean youngsters to PSV in the near future, but his hands were tied at the moment since PSV has 6 players too many right now.

Its no wonder why the KFA hadn't really made any progress/effort on a replacement coach.

7. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    yes, the KFA said that whoever becomes the head coach now, should expect to let go the position whenever Hiddink comes back.

Also, Hiddink will be able to head-coach the Korean team 3~4 times a year. Everytime he comes to Korea for that, the head coach will have to step down as assistant coach.

8. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    If Guus can come back and solve some of the administrative problems within KFA then I'll be glad.

9. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    it'll be more than that for me.

Brahm is now the coach of the U-14 Korean team. He used to coach all the teams from U-12 to U-16, but now he only coaches U-14 because they have different coaches for all different age groups.

I wonder if that's good. I'd say let Brahm handle U14~U16 if not all of them so that Brahm can nurture the talents well instead of being cut off by some other idiotic coach.

10. holgers_heroes

Jul 25, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Hiddink for 2006 would great for Korean football, obviously, but do you really think he'll come back after what he did in 2002? Nothing will ever top what happened two months ago, and although he may consider staying as an advisor, I think if he's given the opportunity, he will coach the Dutch national team. Why? Because he's Dutch, and he's coaching his own countrymen who have a legitimate chance of winning the entire thing.

The play of Korea has made me a fan of their national team. If Hiddink comes back, it's all the better, it can only help the country and the players. But Korea should once again set its sights on reaching the round of 16. Barring an outstanding level of improvement within the next few years, anything more should again be considered a bonus.

11. oakydoaks

oakydoaks New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver, CO
    He might coach Dutch side, but I don't see it happening. Those Dutches have so many good players and good staffs who have the caliber of Hiddink. I think with all their good players, Hiddink's job in 1998 is rather ordinary to their standard. (Of course they might think different now since their side did not even qualify for the WC).
    Hiddink will be an option for them, but I think they don't need him as much as Koreans do.

12. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    PSV DISMISS HIDDINK TALK

PSV Eindhoven have dismissed reports that new coach Guus Hiddink is being targeted for a return to South Korea.

The Dutchman returned to PSV after famously guiding the Koreans to the semi-finals of the World Cup.

Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo has reported that the Korean FA want Hiddink to coach the national team for three matches a year until 2004.

They then hope he will return to take them through qualification for the World Cup in Germany two years later.

But PSV spokesman Pedro Salazar said: "We have heard nothing about this."

However Hiddink will definitely be back in South Korea on September 8 for the historic match with North Korea in Seoul.

Sporting Life

13. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    I think this Hiddink thing is rather realistic and I see it happening. When Hiddink signed with PSV, a Dutch reporter asked him what he had to say about the Korean fans and Guus stopped rubbed his eyes breathed in and out and started to speak in English (for the Korean reporters) in front of all the Dutch people. Aside from this he even said "Korea will always be in my heart" "this is not good-bye so I will say so long" and ect. If the KFA really wants him for 2006, I think they got him.

14. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure as hell hope so. It'd be great to see him again. Even if the results don't measure up to WC 2002, who cares? Would you want anyone else running the squad?

15. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    fuk no. I dont think i can trust anyone anymore. and besides, i dont think even hiddink will be looking at anyhting above the round of 16 anyway.

16. HwarangDo

HwarangDo New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    If he does return, it would be better if he told us in advance (a surprise return could be disastrous) so the team (esp. the up&coming players) can keep preparing under his coaching strategy.

17. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Korea,

Get over Hiddink.

Let go.

He's too old.

Nobody listens to techno.

The Jadge.