Hiddink to manage Australia?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by silver bullet, Jul 8, 2005.

1. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    There is a persistent rumour in Holland that Guus Hiddink will manage Australia if they make it to the World Cup. Hiddink has a clause in his contract with PSV that allows him to manage a national team at the world cup in his "spare time".

2. Champagne Football

Champagne Football New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well that doesn't do us much good.

We need someone to get us INTO the World Cup first! :rolleyes:

3. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

YOU SERIOUS? ahh thats not good for korea..
    heheh.. he coached korea in 2002, and he did a lot of good work for the team. i just wished that he coached korea again

4. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    Very serious. Apparently talks are in an "advanced" stage.

Regarding South Korea, you guys seem quite happy with Bonfrere, so no need for Hiddink to take over.

5. sebcoe

sebcoe Red Card

Jan 14, 2005
    I think it is a clause that would enable him to help a late prospective qualifier. It's funny because the wording in the contract "third qualifier" seems to suggest Asia, and it seems to be a condition that was requested by Korea during Hiddink's negotiations with PSV. It would be ironic indeed if he would take Australia to the World Cup instead.

But this is I think only a stop-gap measure. I think the Aussies will have to look for a permanent replacement for the World Cup itself, because Hiddink is committed to PSV, and would only take this job because he would only be needed for two big games against a South American wild-card.

6. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    besides me, i think anyone besides Frank would do better :p

lol maybe i should throw my hat in the ring! :D rofl

7. Champagne Football

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    On World Sport on SBS tonight, they reported that Hiddink will travel to Sydney for further talks with the FFA after PSV Eindhoven's upcoming practice match in South Korea. This is looking like it might actually happen!

Interestingly, the man they keep saying is the second choice, Dick Advocaat, may be going to coach UAE instead, according to www.the-afc.com:

Advocaat set for UAE hotseat
    12 July 2005

DUBAI: Former Holland coach Dick Advocaat is set to takeover the reins of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) national team later on Tuesday.

Sources in the UAE Football Association told www-the-afc.com that the Dutchman will reach here tonight and after completing the formalities will fly to Switzerland to watch the national team in action in the friendly tournament also involves Qatar, Kuwait and Egypt.

The UAE sacked its Dutch coach Aad De Mos in April and the team is currently under an interim coach. Details of Advocaat's contract were not immediately known. Advocaat will guide the UAE team in the West Asian Games to be held in December in Doha, Qatar.

8. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    It would be great to have a Dutchman to coach Australia

9. red_soccerhut

red_soccerhut BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 25, 2005
  10. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    better than FFF (Frank 'Failure' Farina) :D

11. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Oi that's not nice. There are still some in here who feel sorry for Frank Farina.

12. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    hiddink is thinking about it...or has it been stated already

13. Edgar

Edgar Member

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/050720/7/45qk.html

Hiddink to coach Australia if they reach 2006 finals
    20 July 2005
    by Reuters

Enlarge Photo
    Photo Gallery
    PSV Eindhoven coach Guus Hiddink will take charge of Australia's national side if they qualify for next year's FIFA World Cup™.

The Dutchman told reporters in the Korea Republic on Wednesday that he had reached a basic agreement with Football Federation Australia (FFA) to become the next coach of the Socceroos.

"If Australia qualify for the 2006 World Cup, then I will take over (by) November," Hiddink said after PSV's 1-1 draw with Lyon at the Peace Cup pre-season tournament.

"We just have to agree on some details before finalising (the deal)."

Hiddink said he would stay on at PSV as coach or in an advisory capacity until November.

Australia's next matches are the qualifiers against the Solomon Islands in September.

Hiddink became a national hero in the Korea Republic after leading the co-hosts to the semi-finals of the 2002 FIFA World Cup. Last season he steered PSV Eindhoven to the Dutch league title and the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League.

14. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    :confused: So who's going to get AUS to the WC 2006 Finals, for Guus to then become the manager/coach (that is between now & November)? There's at least 5 more games to be played by AUS, two of which will be the South American H&A inter-continental playoff games! Does the FFA expect the team to do that by itself and without a coach/manager or are they going the cheap stand-in as a coach/manager way ??? :confused:

15. ur003127

ur003127 New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    Sounds like he doesnt want to be embarrassed if they dont qualify. :confused:

16. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Sounds like he is "sort-of" taking over before then. He has to be at all our games (and presumably the August "camp"). This seems to be as much to protect FFA if we don't qualify - we aren't left playing a coach who might not have anything to do for a while (or indeed, might want to keep his options open to work with a team that does qualify in some capacity - I can imagine an African nation like Togo taking him on to assist if they qualified).

Not ideal sure - but probably a sensible "business" decision in the eyes of both parties.

J

17. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Hiddink it is then.

Friday 22 July 2005

Football Federation Australia today confirmed former Dutch and South Korean national coach, Guus Hiddink, had been appointed to coach the Qantas Socceroos during the World Cup campaign.

The appointment has been made specifically to give Australia the best possible chance of success in the lead up to the World Cup after a 32-year absence from the finals.

The appointment will continue until the finals in Germany in June 2006 if Australia is successful in the play-offs in November 2005.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/public/article/show.asp?articleid=9419&menuItemID=

18. sebcoe

sebcoe Red Card

Jan 14, 2005
    There seems to be some misunderstanding. Hiddink is now officially the NT coach, but this is only in a part-time capacity; but if they qualify for WC2006, he will leave his PSV position to take over Australia's NT in a full-time capacity.

Training camps will be held in the Netherland starting next month.

19. Champagne Football

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Are you sure he actually said he will leave PSV to coach Australia full-time?
    I thought he only said he would have to "re-evaluate the situation".

20. taegukgi2004

taegukgi2004 New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    well,

contrat soccerroos...he is an EXCEPTIONAL COACH in all aspects...Man, i never never been more envious...Either way, hope WE DON'T MEET IN ANY ASIAN WCQers....

tae

21. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    He's going to stay with PSV.

22. gscott12

gscott12 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Man i'm not so sure i like hiddink anymore- he keeps going on about how it is "impossible" for aus to qualify and that it will take a "miracle". Is the 5th placed sth american side really that much better than us? I don't think so.

23. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Sportsworld had Guus Hiddink on their show this morning. It was a pretty good interview. Hiddink spoke in-depth of what his plans were. It was really good.

24. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    That's just Hiddink's style. He's cautious and likes to put the team in the underdog position. Would you prefer a manager who comes in and boasts how Australia are going to win the world cup next year?

25. I_Am_A_Rock

I_Am_A_Rock New Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Melbourne
    "my challenge is to make the impossible possible" GO AUSSIE GUSS