Hibs-Aberdeen Rivalry?

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by eric515, Jan 12, 2006.

1. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was reading about Easter Road on Scottish Football Ground Guide, and it mentioned that the bars around Easter Road are friendly to most away fans, except Aberdeen.

Just curious as to what the background is on this...I would've guessed Hearts or Old Firm fans would be most unwelcome.

Thanks,

Eric

2. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I don't know anything about it. Aberdeen have been close competition for Hibs most recent years, so that might have something to do with it. I rarely saw any trouble at the pubs on and around Easter Road, but I also rarely saw anybody advertize that they weren't Hibees.

3. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. Are Aberdeen fans known for being hooligans maybe? Maybe they are just resented for being the last non-Old Firm team to win the league? :)

4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I don't think Aberdeen fans are particularly known for hooliganism. I'm guessing any negative feeling is attached to a specific incident. But again, I don't really know.

5. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Aberdeen have a small group of fans known for being hooligans, but they're not too bad and I don't really know of any bad blood between them and Hibs. It's Rangers and Aberdeen fans who have, what can be, a nasty rivalry.

6. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm...that's really odd that they would say that all the bars around Easter Road aren't welcoming to Aberdeen fans. I figured someone on here would know exactly why.

Don't worry, though, my faith has not been shaken in BigSoccer. Just the purveyors of the Football Ground Guide website. :)