Hi, Info required

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by RonTUFC, Sep 25, 2003.

1. RonTUFC

RonTUFC New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Telford Shropshire UK
    Hi guys,

I am due to come over to Milpitas on the 4th of October and noted that the Quakes were playing at home on the 5th of October against the metrostars, can someone tell me how much a cab would cost to and from the spartan stadium as i would like to attend at least 1 soccer match whilst i am in the states, as i will miss my own teams games for 2 weeks, i am staying in the Homestead studios near to highway 237, and I880,
    I could drive so how many miles is it and whats the play with carparking?, also do i need to purchase a ticket or can i pay on at the gate?
    i have seen the Quakes play on our TV here in the uk, as we have a weekly MSL show, unfortunately its shown at 4.00am, so i have to use the VCR!
    Many thanks

Ron
    Telford
    Shropshire UK
    www.telfordunited.com
    www.confguide.com/bucks.mpl

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't give you advice on the cab or directions from Milpitas, but there should be a lot of other posters who can help. If you were staying around here, I'd give you a ride.
    If you're renting a car, parking on the Spartan lots is 8 dollars.
    You can buy a ticket at the gate, almost no problem there. The advantage of calling Maynard or someone else at the ticket services beforehand would be to make sure you get a specific seat.

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, don't forget to come a couple hours early so that you can be at the Club Quake tailgate on the east side. You'll see the sign.

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're about 10 miles north of the stadium. Don't know about cab costs, but I also don't know how easy it is to get a cab after the game. It's California, you should drive. Parking for $8 is probably less than the two way cab fare will cost you.

It's probably easiest to take I-880 south to 101 south, to I-280 north, and then take the 10th Street exit, turn left at the light, go through the next couple of lights and the stadium and parking lot will be on the right. Please do come by the tailgate and say hi.

You can get tickets at the gate pretty easily, I think I would recommend that as there is no service charge and it's not like we're going to run out of tickets.

If you want the pale American imitation of the European atmosphere (standing and singing), you can stand with the Casbah in the north end or with the Ultras in the south end. If you want to sit and see the game, the east side is cheaper than the west side, and the October 5 game is an afternoon game so you will get the sun no matter where you sit.

Hope to see you there!

5. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    hey ron,

here's one suggestion on directions (and there are many iterations, i can't guarantee these are the best, but they'll work).

880 south (for maybe 3-5 miles)

880 south will intersect 101 south. continue forward, do NOT get onto 101. after you pass through this intersection, 880 magically becomes known as hwy. 17, but there are no turns you need to make, it simply has a different number designation on the west side of hwy 101.

continue on 17 until you come to the interchange of hwy 280. take hwy 280 south towards san jose. (maybe another 10 miles at most)

take hwy 280 south towards san jose until you see an exit for 7th street and 10th street. (maybe 15 miles or so).

now, you can use either 7th or 10th street to get to the stadium. the tailgate that was reference before will be easiest to find if you use 10th street and park in the lot immediately outside the stadium (can't miss it). $8 as referenced before. there should be signs directing you towards spartan, but as you get off 280, you'll turn right onto either 7th or 10th, and both will take you right by the stadium, one on either side of it. you can buy tix at ticket booths on either side of the stadium. (total of maybe 1/2 mile each f/ hwy. 280 to the stadium)

this should get you there w/ maybe 20-30 minutes of driving. taxi may be a bit pricey, and finding one to get back may be very challenging. if you rent, you're golden.

also, i'm sure the attendant at the hotel can help you w/ directions as well, so you may want to bouce this off them.

hope you enjoy! i've heard nothing but great things about the tailgate.

cheers,
    battch

6. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    ron...

ok, sounds like bill's directions might be more direct (we must have been typing at the same time), remember i didn't say mine were the most direct. but both will work.

cheers,
    battch

7. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, either one. I looked up the driving directions on Mapquest and it said to take 880 south to 101 south to 280 north -- but I don't live in or near Milpitas or spend a lot of time on 880, so I would have probably taken 880 south to 17 south to 280 south just because I usually take 280 south from up here on the Peninsula.

So yeah, either way should work.

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ron,
    Bill's advice about the taxicab is spot on. A 25 minute freeway ride in a cab can cost as much as 40-50 dollars. If you're already renting a car (which is the best way in California, because w/o a car in this area, you'd be like Robinson Crusoe on that desert island) that's the cheapest way to go, I believe.

9. RonTUFC

RonTUFC New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Telford Shropshire UK
    Many Thanks

I will be renting a car, however i cannot get used to Auto's and left hand drives, and as for signs saying yield?, will hopefully get down to the spartan stadium at around 11.00am, look out for someone wearing a strange white soccer/football shirt, {telford}, and very tired after travelling the night/day before :)
    Is the 880/237 a busy road?, i think its going to take me a while to get used to usa driving :)
    Will post in the next few days for more info,

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mean to confuse you by giving yet another set of directions, but 880 between Milpitas and San Jose can get quite crowded at any time of day due to construction that is going on there.

My suggestion would be to go east on Highway 237 to I-680 south. 680 will take you into San Jose and when you pass the interchange with 101, 680 south becomes 280 north. The first two exits after passing 101 are 10th Street and 7th Street. Exit at either one and turn left and you will reach the stadium in about 5 blocks. If you exit 10th Street, you make the left turn at the second traffic signal (the first signal is at a one-way street going the wrong direction). On a Sunday morning traffic should not be busy on 237 or 680.

11. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Don't worry about yeild signs, in Boston we just view them as polite suggestions. Just as we view stop signs, red lights, and no turn signs. You'll be fine :) I can't speak for california drivers though.

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one can speak for California drivers.:) Just be alert and look in all six directions at once.

13. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who works in Fremont and commutes from San Jose every day, I suggest taking Noah's directions. It will be easier, even on the weekend. Also, you can park on 10th street immediately after making a left turn onto 10th from the freeway exit. It will save you $8 and it is only a short walk down 10th street to the stadium. If you park in the first block or two, you can avoid a lot of the traffic after the game by making a quick left on Bestor, and then left on 11th to get back onto the highway. To get back, follow 280 south (which becomes 680 north). Exit in Milpitas on Calaveras Blvd./237 to return to your hotel.

14. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ron,

Once you get back to England, I think we'd all like to know what your MLS impressions were - atmosphere, style of play, standout players, etc. We're always looking for fresh perspectives.

15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Hello Ron,
    When you get to the stadium save yourself some money and park on the street( seventh st.) is free just mind where you park and look for the tow-away signs. You might want to get there as early as possible as we will start drinking about 10:00 or so. Look for our banner in the east parking lot just to the left of the main gates. Club Quake always welcomes thirsty Brits with frosty cold beverages so please stop by and say hello. We have some Wolves fans as members but we like them anyway;) Hey Albany, why don't you stop by and give him a lift to the match?

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I knew Fremont, I would. Oh, what the heck, give me an address and I can look it up on MapQuest.

17. Big Blue Soccer Fan

Big Blue Soccer Fan New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Milpitas, CA
    Since I live in Milpitas, I would also recommend using 680/280 instead of 880. Myself, my friends, and family will be attending the October 5th game and if you'd like to follow us or accompany us to the game, we'd be happy to have the company.

18. RonTUFC

RonTUFC New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Telford Shropshire UK
    Guys
    Many thanks for the replies, i am due to land at san jose airport saturday @ 18:00, although my body will think its 02:00 am,
    i am staying at the Home Stead Studios

805 Bellew DR
    Milpitas

Big Blue Soccer fan, it's very kind of you to offer if you could send me your Telephone number to ron@shaw550.freeserve.co.uk
    so that i can contact you as to wheather i follow you or not, chances are i wlll be jetlagged somewhat so will be appriciative of the help.

http://www.confguide.com/cgi-bin/photos.mpl/telford

http://www.telfordunited.com/

19. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Jetlagged and tired from being up all night the night before he left, burrying the bodies of the last family that gave him a ride to a footy match. ;) Oh, and Ron, report back on our wonderful beer selection at Spartan Stadium, and remember, size doesn't matter! :D

20. Big Blue Soccer Fan

Sep 25, 2003
    Milpitas, CA
    Last unknown passenger I drove to a soccer game is still MIA.....go figure. BTW, Home Depot is having a 15% off sale on shovels.

Do you need a ride to the game?

21. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Uhhhh......no.......i'm good. Thanks anyway. :eek:

22. Big Blue Soccer Fan

Sep 25, 2003
    Milpitas, CA
    Tell you what, to show how truly harmless I am, I'll buy you a beer----hold the arsenic.;)

23. Spartan1

Spartan1 New Member

Feb 23, 2001
    San Jose
    cute, ldb, very cute.... :D

24. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Re: Re: Hi, Info required

;)

25. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Could you tell us a little more about the MLS show? I assume it is like a hilight show or something? British or American announcers? What channel shows it?